Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I was invited once to a lutefisk and lefse dinner in the Twin Cities when I lived there. It was the only time I politely declined such an offer, but even a polite decline was taken as a kind of rebuke against the notion of partaking in the gelatinous-grey blob smelling of dirty gym socks.

I’ll eat smoked, canned herring or even smelt, but I’ll take a hard pass on lutefisk every time. I lack Scandinavian forebears who ate lutefisk in December (as a reminder of how hard the first Norwegian and Swedish settlers had it), so there was no desire for me to indulge in culinary pain for any reason.

That said, before I moved to Minnesota, I referred to the pyrex dish, baked in the oven, as a “casserole”, but ever since, I call it “hot dish”. :)

Lingonberries are delightful, as are bakeapple/cloudberries (which aren’t Scandinavian, but I’m sure the Vikings who made it to Newfoundland enjoyed them). One Scandinavian dish I absolutely love love love comes from, of all places, Thunder Bay, Ontario: the Finnish pancake, served daily at a Finnish community centre diner co-operative (opened in 1919) called The Hoito. Finnish pancakes are much thinner and eggier than what you might be accustomed to. They’re delectable, especially on a frigid morning.

Unfortunately, the Finnish labour hall (a building on the national historic register) which housed The Hoito, was gutted by a major fire a year ago, so the best one can muster for Finnish pancakes these days is at home.
My grandmother* is Finnish, so I've had a few Finnish pancakes. :)

She lives near Vancouver, WA.

*= not really, but when I was a year old my parents moved to Vancouver. They didn't know anyone so she and her husband befriended them. They became my godparents, hence my grandparents.

Their kids (two girls) are my aunts (making their husbands my uncles) and their kids are my cousins.

Last edited:

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
When I was young (early to mid-1980s), my parents would take us to Griswolds ...
Immediately Griswold came to my mind and I thought how did your parents take you there in the 80ies? It's early in the morning here … :D

Changed my 2010 MacBooks desktop to a picture I took during a recent trip to the technical museum with the family:

Bildschirmfoto 2022-12-07 um 07.55.04.png

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Immediately Griswold came to my mind and I thought how did your parents take you there in the 80ies? It's early in the morning here … :D
LOL, no no. :D

This shows Griswolds before the 1980s, but it never changed.

REDLS 2.jpg

Redlands, CA. I think the building has changed hands multiple times, not sure what's there now.

On the left, just above the roofline you can see another building. That'd be Redlands Church on the Hill (Assembly of God) which we went to for a time. It's still there (and still a church). Major landmark in Redlands. Interstate 10 is between Griswolds and Church on the Hill.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
A recreation of the closing moments from a 90s cross-promotion marketing campaign back when Apple still imbued humour and quirkiness in their advertising material. Instances like this appear to be less discussed by media analysts than chapters such as the legendary Think Different campaign.

n2QbccP.jpg

The recipient is my 2010 11" C2D MBA running a session of Catalina. I really liked the aesthetic and the obvious humour associated with this as a choice of wallpaper and a member of the MacRumors community to whom I'm eternally grateful put it together for me. :)

A recreation of the closing moments from a 90s cross-promotion marketing campaign back when Apple still imbued humour and quirkiness in their advertising material. Instances like this appear to be less discussed by media analysts than chapters such as the legendary Think Different campaign.

n2QbccP.jpg

The recipient is my 2010 11" C2D MBA running a session of Catalina. I really liked the aesthetic and the obvious humour associated with this as a choice of wallpaper and a member of the MacRumors community to whom I'm eternally grateful put it together for me. :)

Time to update that sig line, as that’s where my eyes went looking for a reminder of the specs on your MBA, only to realize you made mention of it in the last couple of lines of your post. :)

And I must say that is one tidy, well-loved lappy.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Time to update that sig line, as that’s where my eyes went looking for a reminder of the specs on your MBA, only to realize you made mention of it in the last couple of lines of your post. :)

Ah, my signature should've been updated years ago because there's been several additions since it was originally written. :)

And I must say that is one tidy, well-loved lappy.

Thanks. Here's a reminder of its backstory. Initially it ran Linux Mint, Snow Leopard and El Capitan. I changed the arrangement to Snow Leopard, El Capitan and High Sierra and finally to Snow Leopard, Mojave and of course, Catalina with the latter two courtesy of the DosDude patchers.

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
Desktop 21.6.23.png

It's been a couple months since the last post on this thread, so about time to revive it!

This is how my desktop currently looks on my '09 MBP running Snow Leopard. This is nearing the tips of what theming can do on Snow Leopard, other than manually replacing fonts...

Wallpaper: Aurora
Menu Bar: Aqua Inspirat · Nocturne · iStat Menus · Bartender
Icons: Flurry
Music Widget: Geeky 2.0 (Bowtie)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
So, work complete (for now) on the 20" Cinema Display.

Got all of it connected.

Just going to post the screencap and one pic of the entire six monitor setup. The other five displays haven't changed much, the background just got 'biggger.

Screen Shot 2023-06-21 at 14.56.57.jpg 2023-06-21 14.57.31.jpg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Some slight changes…

I really didn't like how I lost the forest background, so I merged the main forest background with one I had previously used to make two forests look like they were one.

The espresso steam turning up to the blue fire also looks better I think. And cleaned up the fog towards the bottom. All in all I think it comes out better.

Screen Shot 2023-06-21 at 19.26.55.jpg

I have some slight (very slight) edge issues to deal with on the bottom because the mask cut in too far. I was able to fudge them because I drop the entire image into template PSDs that are at the size of the individual monitors. I then save out a jpg. Absolutely nothing that detracts, just something to remember to clean up the next time I go into the main file.

Reactions: theMarble

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Screen Shot 2023-06-24 at 7.54.43 PM.png

Current wallpaper for the '09 MBP17, which I usually boot into Mojave (though the drive is triple partitioned with 10.6 on the second and nothing on the third at the moment).

Wallpaper is related to Fallout: Equestria.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
OK, so been working on the background of my seventh display. It's connected to all the rest via my own scheme in my head, but it is an outlier in the sense that there is no 'dark blue forest' background.

That's intentional.

The map you see is mine, one section of a bigger map, hand drawn on a large sheet of graph paper some time in 1991. This was for my AD&D campaign and it's my own world - the object of everything I've been doing background wise for my MacPro for some time now.

I did not draw it in blue (it's in color on a yellowed background), that's just the effect I wanted here.

Screen Shot 2023-06-25 at 10.49.12.jpg

Ranni the Witch (Elden Ring) on the top left, Cortana/The Weapon (HALO) on the top right.

The bottom left is a character I've been meaning to add for some time. If you've ever read the Black Company series by Glen Cook you will recognize her as The Lady, Dorotea Senjak - one of the most powerful sorcereresses in that series.

On the right we have an embossed seal. Got that off Etsy today as a digital download. It's a dice circle with a D20 in the center. You may notice it's radiating a faint blue power. :)

And for @TheShortTimer - yesterday I finally figured out what all this subconscious motivation about these backgrounds has been. It's about connection. Specifically my connection to a pursuit (fantasy books, rpgs) that gave me great satisfaction and continues to inspire me. For a 13 year old kid in 1983 who had no connections, fantasy gaming was a liferaft.

• Love
Reactions: TheShortTimer

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
And for @TheShortTimer - yesterday I finally figured out what all this subconscious motivation about these backgrounds has been. It's about connection. Specifically my connection to a pursuit (fantasy books, rpgs) that gave me great satisfaction and continues to inspire me. For a 13 year old kid in 1983 who had no connections, fantasy gaming was a liferaft.

I received (and continue to do so) similar inspiration and satisfaction from Sci-Fi and computing as a child. It was a form of escapism and a respite from difficult circumstances. I respectively looked to the stars and to the possibilities of technology instead of the limitations of my environment.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I received (and continue to do so) similar inspiration and satisfaction from Sci-Fi and computing as a child. It was a form of escapism and a respite from difficult circumstances. I respectively looked to the stars and to the possibilities of technology instead of the limitations of my environment.
Yes, which is another reason I latched on to Bulletin Board Systems at 15 and have since never disconnected. Sci-fi/fantasy has always provided a 'better' world than the one I was currently in.

I can relate with a a lot of what you and @eyoungren write about refuges of escape. I was heavily interested in astronomy and the notion of astronautics. I used a C64 all the time. Before age 12, I also played D&D down the block from my house (before I got tired of that DM’s petty antics).

I was very much along these same lines up until I was 13, when there was a brute-force kind of interruption to it all. (There was once a pic of me at age 12, in front of a C64 running CNet v10.0, but unless you knew what you were looking at, it was just a green-border screen with yellow text-on-black — probably one of the admin menus). After that interruption, I didn’t get to touch another computer until a Mac at school when I was 17. The outcome of that brute-force interruption is my escape and inspiration came from pop music of the time — a period I am still uncovering new-to-my-ears stuff.

So that interruption is where, when, and how I turned to other refuges. Music, road bicycling, and to a much lesser (but not negligible) extent, long-distance radio, became my refuges. All share a common denominator with even the older D&D, BBSes, and astronomy: “there are other, more fascinating, interesting, and sometimes better places than where I am now.”

Queueing the opening drums of “Escape (The Piña Colada Song)”… :D

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I can relate with a a lot of what you and @eyoungren write about refuges of escape. I was heavily interested in astronomy and the notion of astronautics. I used a C64 all the time. Before age 12, I also played D&D down the block from my house (before I got tired of that DM’s petty antics).

I was very much along these same lines up until I was 13, when there was a brute-force kind of interruption to it all. (There was once a pic of me at age 12, in front of a C64 running CNet v10.0, but unless you knew what you were looking at, it was just a green-border screen with yellow text-on-black — probably one of the admin menus). After that interruption, I didn’t get to touch another computer until a Mac at school when I was 17. The outcome of that brute-force interruption is my escape and inspiration came from pop music of the time — a period I am still uncovering new-to-my-ears stuff.

So that interruption is where, when, and how I turned to other refuges. Music, road bicycling, and to a much lesser (but not non-negligible) extent, long-distance radio, became my refuges. All share a common denominator with even the older D&D, BBSes, and astronomy: “there are other, more fascinating, interesting, and sometime better places than where I am now.”

Queueing the opening drums of “Escape (The Piña Colada Song)”… :D
My first DM was a guy who 'knew' the rules, but because I did not know them came up with some other BS system and proceeded to produce 'body counts' of my rolled up characters. It got to the point I was rolling them in batches. If I got ahead (somehow) he proceeded to destroy what I'd accomplished or made it harder.

Basically he was a bully and used a pseudo-D&D to bully me. My need for 'friends' and my inability (at that time) to see people for who they really were kept this up until some time in mid-1984 when I met a real friend (then) through this DM who played by the rules.

I realized I'd been had and the bully DM realized the gig was up and that was the end of things until years later. When that later came, I was wise to him and he knew it, so we moved around games a lot (because I bothered to learn the rules he didn't want to abide by).

You had CNet, and at some point I had that too - but for me AABBS trumped all. ANSI graphics and 'full' color. I ran a BBS on nights and weekends during highschool on a Commodore 64. By late 1989 (the year I graduated highschool) I had a C-128 and was using 1581 drives as well.

But with D&D I went through the whole 'Satanic panic' thing. My books got confiscated and burned at one point and my dad kept a watchful eye for anything he objected to. By 1995 that meant my Rolemaster Alchemist Companion book bought it too (replaced years later). I was careless and left it out by mistake. He wasn't happy. Of course there were other things he wasn't happy about either, earrings, candles, coffee and incense to name a few. The last three were the influence of my girlfriend (who I married). ;)

Lots of things have changed for me since 1982, but I still want that connection. Finding my wife was one of the best stabilizing things for me ever.

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
My first DM was a guy who 'knew' the rules, but because I did not know them came up with some other BS system and proceeded to produce 'body counts' of my rolled up characters. It got to the point I was rolling them in batches. If I got ahead (somehow) he proceeded to destroy what I'd accomplished or made it harder.

Basically he was a bully and used a pseudo-D&D to bully me. My need for 'friends' and my inability (at that time) to see people for who they really were kept this up until some time in mid-1984 when I met a real friend (then) through this DM who played by the rules.

I realized I'd been had and the bully DM realized the gig was up and that was the end of things until years later. When that later came, I was wise to him and he knew it, so we moved around games a lot (because I bothered to learn the rules he didn't want to abide by).

You had CNet, and at some point I had that too - but for me AABBS trumped all. ANSI graphics and 'full' color. I ran a BBS on nights and weekends during highschool on a Commodore 64. By late 1989 (the year I graduated highschool) I had a C-128 and was using 1581 drives as well.

But with D&D I went through the whole 'Satanic panic' thing. My books got confiscated and burned at one point and my dad kept a watchful eye for anything he objected to. By 1995 that meant my Rolemaster Alchemist Companion book bought it too (replaced years later). I was careless and left it out by mistake. He wasn't happy. Of course there were other things he wasn't happy about either, earrings, candles, coffee and incense to name a few. The last three were the influence of my girlfriend (who I married). ;)

Lots of things have changed for me since 1982, but I still want that connection. Finding my wife was one of the best stabilizing things for me ever.
Do either of you @eyoungren @B S Magnet still play D&D in any capacity?

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I'll try and keep this short…

I created my own 'game' in 1983, not knowing anything about this.

- 1984 D&D boxed set for my birthday (the red box)

- 1986 Started MechWarrior with a friend

- 1990 Switched to AD&D 2nd Edition

- 1992 Started running my own campaign/world for a group (AD&D). That lasted until 1994. We also played other games (MechWarrior, Shadowrun, etc)

- 1994 Rolemaster with another group. That lasted until 2000 when I moved to Phoenix.

- 2000 to present has been hit and miss. I gamed for a while (Rolemaster) with a friend via Skype. I've had others come and go for Rolemaster and I've dropped in on a group for ShadowRun and 5th Edition D&D. None of that lasted.

So, the short answer is yes. I still play - if I can find anyone I fit with. And that's been the problem. I can find people, but most of the people I've found haven't been compatible.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but it's important (to me) that the people I game with have a similar outlook on the game. If I'm having people over to game it's also important that my wife is comfortable with them in our home. It's unfortunate but for various reasons that hasn't gelled in the last 23 years.

All my experience though is with 2nd Edition AD&D, although I'm familiar with 5e. Beggars can't be choosers of course, but I do much prefer Rolemaster over AD&D. That's usually led to me being the GM/DM because out here I'm the only one that seems to know the rules/or played the game.

Reactions: B S Magnet

I haven’t touched or been in a room of D&D play since about 1984. Unlike @eyoungren’s brush with a crappy DM, my experience with the crappy DM down the block turned me away from role-playing games for probably the rest of my life.

• Sad

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I haven’t touched or been in a room of D&D play since about 1984. Unlike @eyoungren’s brush with a crappy DM, my experience with the crappy DM down the block turned me away from role-playing games for probably the rest of my life.
My son unfortunately seems to have had that experience as well, only with D&D 5th Edition.

Gaming is like anything else, it can be used for good or bad and given it's properties bullies with a little bit of smarts (or ability to read) can leverage gaming to satisfy their control issues and be vindictive. Since it's done in a social setting and it's emotional abuse rather than physical or verbal abuse, it tends to go unrecognized.

But in the hands of people (and a GM) who are there to roleplay, advance the plot, support each other and all have a good time it can be a wonderful thing.

I'm sorry to see that that DM just destroyed it all for you.

My son unfortunately seems to have had that experience as well, only with D&D 5th Edition.

Gaming is like anything else, it can be used for good or bad and given it's properties bullies with a little bit of smarts (or ability to read) can leverage gaming to satisfy their control issues and be vindictive. Since it's done in a social setting and it's emotional abuse rather than physical or verbal abuse, it tends to go unrecognized.

But in the hands of people (and a GM) who are there to roleplay, advance the plot, support each other and all have a good time it can be a wonderful thing.

I'm sorry to see that that DM just destroyed it all for you.

Yah. It didn’t help that I was already a frazzled “veteran” of emotional abuse at home before heading over to play D&D. The latter was supposed to be the escape from that. He was, even back then, a heck of a social engineer. Last I knew, the kid who was that DM ended up deep inside InfoSec for, like, VISA. I think there was always something… a bit off about him.

On a single upside: the very first digital audio I ever heard was at his house, and that remains a positive memory.

I mostly remember him loading diskette after diskette after diskette of, what seemed like an hour, some giant file he got from a BBS which he wanted to play for me on his Atari 800. He wouldn’t say what it would be, but I figured it was some state-of-the-art graphics demo. At the end of that hour (and a bunch of CLOAD or DLOAD or whatever it was), he entered RUN. What followed was a 15-second rip, at the most low-bitrate, garbled quality you could imagine, whilst still being marginally legible, of the chorus portion of Sammy Hagar’s “I Can’t Drive 55”. No idea what audio format that would have been, but it was probably, like, 4-bit quality at 4,000kbps or much, much lower. “Crunchy” doesn’t begin to describe it.

But… that sincerely blew my mind. At the time, I was, like, “OK yes, this can now be done (how? no idea), but it isn’t practical for anything. How long will it be before a whole song? Will it ever be high-fidelity?” 2023-me wishes I could show 1985-me the possibilities in that realm — mostly by showing up with a 1TB microSD card and telling 1985-me how that miniature piece of plastic contains about 80 days’ worth of music, most of it CD quality or higher.

Anyway, that experience, plus the one closer to home which kept me away from computers for four years (until after I’d run away from home and relocated at a different independent school district, which happened to have a writing lab with Macintosh Pluses and dot-matrix ImageWriters), is what also moved me away from gaming generally — including most video-gaming.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Oh, finally!!!

Far left

Screen Shot 2023-07-06 at 19.16.57.jpg

and far right monitors!

Screen Shot 2023-07-06 at 19.17.12.jpg

In the case of the left screen it really helps to have access to high resolution images! Amanda Blake (Gunsmoke) and Ahsoka Tano.

Right screen, Kate Kennedy (HALO: TV show) and Audrey Meadows. I've used this particular image before but not here.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
So, 'twas still bugging me a bit. I had to 'even' it out - red and red…

Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 18.13.35.jpg

Ran Audrey through an online upscaler, which of course revealed all the flaws in my cutout so I had to fix those. But not too bad.

And the complete deal…

2023-07-07 18.09.42.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.