Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I was searching for a thread with this title. I could have sworn we created one, but I cannot find it. Perhaps I've been using two other threads as a substitute. If there is one already, maybe somebody can point me to it.

For now, since there is already the "Post Your PowerPC Setup" thread, I will start one here for Early Intel Macs.

The latest for my MacPro.

2023-09-04 08.33.58.jpg

Hello,

too bad this thread is sleeping. I'll try to post my early Intel Macs at the weekend.

I have already posted the PowerPC's in the PowerPC forum.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...p.1399769/page-81?post=32843069#post-32843069

OK, I’ll go. :)

This was during one of the recent live recordings for the period-precise, mock-FM broadcasts I’ve been working on:

IMG_0929.JPG

What you see here is a desk optimized for DJing (I have more than one desk, each ergonomically set up for the kind of work I do most). This desktop is about 1.3m tall, designed to be usable whilst standing or sitting on a tall chair (like a café bar stool).

In foreground, is the late 2011 A1278 MBP running in Snow Leopard, as console head unit on a folding stand (hard to see, but beneath the laptop is a shelf on the stand which holds the music library on a 2TB SSD inside the very last FW800 enclosure offered for sale in the 2020s… that I’m aware of).

Behind and to its right, is a USB MIDI mixing console from the aughts (an ancient Behringer BCD3000 — hardly the kind of bells-and-whistles controller over which kids these days spoil themselves — but does the task for which it was designed quite well). The Behringer is connected to the Mac via USB, but also sends analogue output from the mixer, which I have routed to the MBP’s headphone jack in input mode. (The mic and mic stand are not involved for this project).

The MBP, beneath Algroriddim’s djay, has Audio Hi-Jack handling patches, including the Noisy pink-noise generator and filters for FM broadcast-optimized audio compression. I use a USB adapter to send that out to the other Mac in the shot.

Far above, and to the left, is the mid-2007 “turn up the base [model]” iMac 20-inch standalone. Originally with an HDD, it now has an SSD and 4GB helping it along, running Snow Leopard Server. It runs without a keyboard attached (just a mouse). The iMac is what records the processed audio output in real time. It receives the FM broadcast-styled audio from the MBP via a mini-headphone-to-mini-headphone cable, to its mini-headphone input in rear. Via LineIn, it passes through its input, via the mini-headphone output, to the preamp (the black box beneath the cassette deck). This lets me monitor the processed output on the L-C-R-sub monitors.

Eventually, I want to simplify somewhat by using a micro-FM transmitter to allow for natural interference background and noise floor, instead of Noisy via Audio Hi-Jack, but for now, this does the task (that setup would also necessitate output from an FM tuner to be what the iMac uses as its input source… maybe an iPod nano 5G? :) ).

Once a session is done, the iMac goes to sleep and I take the MBP back to doing other daily tasks, usually booted back into High Sierra.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
In foreground, is the late 2011 A1278 MBP running in Snow Leopard.
wow Snow Leopard can operate on a MBP2011?
good for you!

oh i will try to revive some old intel posts here since i will use this intel 3 series.
and to post anything here on my macbook air 2010 ONLY because the OSX cant be upgrade by  to Sonoma!
(those with ventura are sadly experience this this week)

im running SeaLion as a web browser which seems to work fine,
and i need to find anther web browers that has the similar name i have on a drive.

see you old intel'rs soon!

good for you!

Snow Leopard shines magnificently on the 2011 MacBook Pros! They use the Sandy Bridge architecture, as do pretty much all the non-Xeon Macs from that year. For 2011 models, though, it’s best to install SL either from the grey OEM DVD (mostly confined to the first half of early 2011 MBPs) or from retail 10.6.7.

In my case, the lineage of SL on that particular laptop is descended directly from a 2009 MacBook Pro factory-installed with 10.6.0. (mid-2009 to early 2011 to late 2011, over the span of 14-plus years). It has been tweaked innumerable times and feels like home, always.

oh i will try to revive some old intel posts here since i will use this intel 3 series.
and to post anything here on my macbook air 2010 ONLY because the OSX cant be upgrade by  to Sonoma!
(those with ventura are sadly experience this this week)

Wait. Is OCLP no longer doing the trick for older Intel Macs running Penryn and up? Last I looked at the Open Core Legacy project, all the Penryn-and-up Intel Macs with 64-bit EFI (this would include your 2010 MBP) should, after OCLP patching, be able to run the last three macOS versions.

Is this related to Apple stripping out Intel code with the latest software updates?

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Snow Leopard shines magnificently on the 2011 MacBook Pros! They use the Sandy Bridge architecture, as do pretty much all the non-Xeon Macs from that year. For 2011 models, though, it’s best to install SL either from the grey OEM DVD (mostly confined to the first half of early 2011 MBPs) or from retail 10.6.7.
rats, I am stuck with the stick, a usb a thumb drive of 2010 and 2011 snow leopard.
i would like to see how SL flies with 16GB as the macbook pro 12 has.

the reason in sticking with Mt Lion and Snow leopard only
is because these were happy  times!

so far i used the MBA2010 two hours or than the MBA20 today.

Reactions: rocknrotty

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
rats, I am stuck with the stick, a usb a thumb drive of 2010 and 2011 snow leopard.
i would like to see how SL flies with 16GB as the macbook pro 12 has.

Download the 10.6.7 retail DVD that @B S Magnet has linked to and then use it to create a USB installer. Here's a method that has proven to be reliable for me through the years. :)

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015

Like @B S Magnet I have Snow Leopard available on my MBP 2011 as a dual boot option along with High Sierra. :)
It positively flies on a 2011 SSD-equipped MBP. (But if you want to see it drop like a stone, connect a 4K display to a 13".)

Download the 10.6.7 retail DVD that @B S Magnet has linked to and then use it to create a USB installer.
Or clone a 10.6.8 install from another machine.

Nils Zaayenga

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2023
Hello everyone,

Very nice that I was able to reactivate this post...

Then I want to and show my “Intel MAC’s”:

Apple MacBook; "Core 2 Duo" 2.16 GHz; 13" (mid 2007, White); 4 GB RAM; 120GB SSD; mac OS 10.7.5 (20€ purchase price)

IMG_0801.jpeg

IMG_0802.jpeg

IMG_0803.jpeg

This MacBook was purchased on E-Bay on a Sunday. True to the motto: "I'll offer 20 € on it..." And it was mine.
I upgraded the RAM and installed the SSD. Runs very stable and well. The battery is still good too.
I have Chromium Legacy as my browser and am relatively happy with the speed. But there shouldn't be too many tabs in the browser.
Is there actually a patcher that supports a newer mac OS than Lion

Apple MacBook Air 1st Generation (2008); "Core 2 Duo" 1.8 GHz; 13"; 2 GB RAM; 64GB SSD; mac OS 10.7.5 (30€ purchase price)

IMG_0804.jpeg

IMG_0805.jpeg

IMG_0806.jpeg

I also bought this MAC on eBay. I own two other MacBook Airs (13" and 11"). Since I really like these two MAC's, I wanted to know what the 1st generation feels like... Well, it works and I can surf...
I replaced the battery. I also use Chromium Legacy as a browser.

Apple Mac mini "Core 2 Duo" 2.0 (Early 2009); 8GB RAM; 100GB SSD; mac OS 11.7.10 via OCLP (0€ purchase price)

IMG_0798.jpeg

IMG_0800.jpeg

This Mac was given to me as a gift. What to do with it? Well, now it's connected to the TV.
I upgraded the RAM and installed the SSD. I also updated the OS to mac OS Big Sur using the open core legacy patcher. Runs very stable and well.

As a sound system for the mac mini, I bought and connected a Cubik digital HiFi speaker system from E-Bay

IMG_0799.jpeg

Apple MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.2 15" (Early 2011); 16 GB RAM; 256 GB SSD; mac OS 12.7.2 via OCLP (€220 purchase price)

IMG_0809.jpeg

IMG_0810.jpeg

IMG_0811.jpeg

This is my first Mac. I previously had Microsoft computers. Because of the Apple IPhones I got for work (at first I hated the IPhones, then accepted them and then loved them after the 3rd iPhone (1st iPhone 5, 2nd iPhone SE (1st generation), 3rd iPhone 7)) I decided to get my first one Apple iPhone (Iphone 11). Then it was only a short walk to our first MAC.

I upgraded the RAM and installed the SSD. I also updated the OS to mac OS Monterey using the open core legacy patcher. Runs absolutely perfect.

In the last picture you can see the two Apple Macbook Air 11" from 2014, 1.4 GHz I5, 4GB RAM, 120 GB SSD, mac OS 14.2, oclp and 13" from 2013, 1.3 GHz I5, 4GB RAM, 120 GB SSD, mac OS 12.7.2, oclp.

IMG_0816.jpeg

I hope you enjoy the texts and images. Many greetings from Germany

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
IMG_1943.jpeg

IMG_1944.jpeg

IMG_1945.jpeg

IMG_1946.jpeg

IMG_1937.jpeg

IMG_1938.jpeg

IMG_1939.jpeg

This was my first Mac, a MacBook Pro 15 inch, from 2010.

It lasted 6 years, because the motherboard stopped working. I still keep it with affection, because I was very illusioned to get it. My next MacBook was the 2016 13" MacBook Pro, which was a huge disappointment to me performance-wise. I switched to the iPad Pro, with which I am very happy because for day to day life it gives me everything I'm looking for, but in recent months I returned to test the MacBook and I was again fascinated by the power, silence and autonomy, so I bought the MacBook Pro 14" M3 Pro Space Black.

Comparing one and the other you can see the evolution of laptops in 14 years. The new MacBook Pro 14" weighs one kilogram less than the 2010 MacBook Pro 15", the screen frames, the thickness, the loss (and gain again) of ports, the quality of the screen, the size of the trackpad, the power, the autonomy... the truth is that I compare it with my first Mac and the changes are brutal.

But in my heart will always be this MacBook Pro from 2010, the one that introduced me to the world of Apple.

Nils Zaayenga

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2023
You can run Mountain Lion with accelerated graphics using this patch — or later versions (up to El Capitan) without accelerated graphics… unless you’re willing to do something drastic. :)

Grüße zurück ;)

Hi,

thanks to Amethyst1's post I managed to patch to 10.8.5.

It was only difficult to build an installer from the pkg file of mac OS 10.8.5. But then it worked well with the help of a Youtube video.

mac OS 10.8.5.jpg

The only thing that is a bit strange. Under mac OS 10.7.5 the Macbook can use 3.25 GB of the 4 GB RAM. After the update to mac OS 10.8.5 it is only 3 GB. The information is in the activity display

Does anyone know why?

Attachments

• mac OS 10.8.5.jpg
    mac OS 10.8.5.jpg
    614.8 KB · Views: 26

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
I also have an iPhone 6 that I purchased faulty and repaired. If you're curious, check out my post here. :)
Now, it's funny you should say that...
For the princely sum of £15, I have incoming an iPhone 6 128GB, a 6S 128GB, and a 5C 32GB. They all work, but all need screens. I've done a 6 screen before, and I have a much better toolkit now, so hoping to dp well out of these three!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.