Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Now, it's funny you should say that...
For the princely sum of £15, I have incoming an iPhone 6 128GB, a 6S 128GB, and a 5C 32GB. They all work, but all need screens. I've done a 6 screen before, and I have a much better toolkit now, so hoping to dp well out of these three!

I call that a score! They're all iCloud unlocked, right?

Reactions: DCBassman

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
They've arrived, they're all unlocked, and the spares are already on order! Three screens and a home button for the 6. Time to break out the iFixit toolkit!
I have a 6 Plus I bought in mid-August 2023 I believe. Had a bit of a go around with Apple over a battery (they didn't want to replace it) so I ended up at an Apple Certified repair store (uBreakiFix) and got a new OEM battery for it. 1-year warranty on it.

Phone cost me $65, AT&T unlocked and the only issue is with the 3.5mm jack. I don't use the jack anyway so that wasn't an issue for me. I switched to BT bone-conduction over-ear headsets quite a while back. It's got one small ding in the back, but aside from all that everything on it's perfect.

Good luck on your repairs!

Last edited:

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Had a quick look around here, but there's no iPhone repairs thread anywhere. Should that change, or is it too niche or the items too disposable for that? Can't exactly upgrade them or patch them, so maybe not...

Nils Zaayenga

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2023
Hallo,

Dank des Beitrags von Amethyst1 ist es mir gelungen, auf 10.8.5 zu patchen.

Es war nur schwierig, aus der pkg-Datei von Mac OS 10.8.5 ein Installationsprogramm zu erstellen. Mit Hilfe eines Youtube-Videos hat es dann aber gut geklappt.

View attachment 2339736
Das Einzige, was etwas seltsam ist. Unter Mac OS 10.7.5 kann das Macbook 3,25 GB der 4 GB RAM nutzen. Nach dem Update auf Mac OS 10.8.5 sind es nur noch 3 GB. Die Informationen finden Sie in der Aktivitätsanzeige

Weiß jemand warum?
Good morning,

I have posted this before.

Do any of you have an idea why under Mac OS 10.7.5 the Macbook can use 3.25 GB of the 4 GB RAM. After the update to Mac OS 10.8.5 by the patcher from NexPostFacto, it is only 3 GB.
I have read this information in the activity display

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Had a quick look around here, but there's no iPhone repairs thread anywhere. Should that change, or is it too niche or the items too disposable for that? Can't exactly upgrade them or patch them, so maybe not...
If you are looking for directions, I always start with iFixit.

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
If you are looking for directions, I always start with iFixit.

Oh yes well acquainted with iFixit, and have amassed quite a selection of tools, too. Just wondering if there was anywhere on MR where folks discussed iPhone surgery!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Oh yes well acquainted with iFixit, and have amassed quite a selection of tools, too. Just wondering if there was anywhere on MR where folks discussed iPhone surgery!
I don't believe there is any specific subforum for that. Closest I think would be the iPhone troubleshooting forum. While MR has iOS split out the main iPhone forum tends to be catchall.

Reactions: DCBassman

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
At some point this week I should be able to take a pic of "all" my Macs, but that's a big ask as with many others here I've accumulated a collection over the past 15-20 years. Some newer, some older. Lord knows how much money I've spent over the years attaining my collection. I'm an engineer so that may explain the fascination with technology.

Currently typing this from my 2009 white unibody MacBook at my desk, next to my 2011 iMac running OCLP Monterey. Scheduled to receive a mint 2010 white unibody this week as I'd like to own a 16GB-capable specimen as well.

With exception to some well-known logic board and other issues, these old machines last forever and is a true testament to their build quality.

Like classic cars I enjoy having a variety of machines to cruise down memory lane. Some other legacy machines I own; the OS listed is the primary but I tend to tinker with external OS drives.

2001 PowerBook G4 Titanium, Jaguar
2004 & 2005 iMac G5, Panther and Tiger
2004 iBook G4, Tiger
2006 White MacBook, first release and 32-bit processor, Leopard
2007 Black MacBook, Snow Leopard
2007 iMac (Merom), El Capitan
2008 Late Aluminum, Mavericks
2009 MacBook Pro 15", El Capitan
2009 Late White MacBook (below), High Sierra
2011 iMac (below), Monterey
2012 MD101 MacBook Pro, the last one with the DVD burner; multi-boot but enjoy Monterey
2015 MacBook Air, El Capitan

And a ton of my old iPhones and iPads. They mean more in sentimental value to me than the pathetic trade-in values.

Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 6.47.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 6.49.36 PM.png

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
And a ton of my old iPhones and iPads. They mean more in sentimental value to me than the pathetic trade-in values.
is there a way to get an other app like "remote" for a itouched g4?
alternative to does not have that.

2012 MD101 MacBook Pro, the last one with the DVD burner; multi-boot but enjoy Monterey

Atop a built-in spot for an optical drive (which, incidentally, can be upgraded to BluRay), another noteworthy feature of the mid-2012 unibody MBPs — but especially so the i5 13-inch variant (kept around for sale through October 2016): it was also the last Mac of any kind to have FW800 aboard. To this day, FireWire is a bus I still use always. Of course, one could make a good case how FW800 on the mid-2012 was taken over by USB 3.0, but it’s best to think of the mid-2012 as a kind of Swiss army knife of sorts. :)

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Atop a built-in spot for an optical drive (which, incidentally, can be upgraded to BluRay), another noteworthy feature of the mid-2012 unibody MBPs — but especially so the i5 13-inch variant (kept around for sale through October 2016): it was also the last Mac of any kind to have FW800 aboard. To this day, FireWire is a bus I still use always. Of course, one could make a good case how FW800 on the mid-2012 was taken over by USB 3.0, but it’s best to think of the mid-2012 as a kind of Swiss army knife of sorts. :)

I also use FireWire and was able to add FW800 to my i5 2011 MBA via its Thunderbolt port and a TB dock. :)

I also use FireWire and was able to add FW800 to my i5 2011 MBA via its Thunderbolt port and a TB dock. :)

I mean, yes, of course there’s always the TB-to-FW dongle, and I (mysteriously) acquired two of these as part of other things I bought, but the curse of dongles!

(And owing to the nature of how a TB1/2/miniDVI port/plug form factor is designed, the dongles tend to be remarkably easy to have slip out of their ports when moving the laptop even a slight bit. Even having one plugged into an iMac, but whose external FW device gets moved on the desk, I have found this can make the connection a bit cranky, as well.)

Maybe I should consider a dock… 🤔

TheLion01

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2015
The Netherlands
I have a 6 Plus I bought in mid-August 2023 I believe. Had a bit of a go around with Apple over a battery (they didn't want to replace it) so I ended up at an Apple Certified repair store (uBreakiFix) and got a new OEM battery for it. 1-year warranty on it.

Phone cost me $65, AT&T unlocked and the only issue is with the 3.5mm jack. I don't use the jack anyway so that wasn't an issue for me. I switched to BT bone-conduction over-ear headsets quite a while back. It's got one small ding in the back, but aside from all that everything on it's perfect.

Good luck on your repairs!
Is it your daily driver? How is it holding up in 2023/2024?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Is it your daily driver? How is it holding up in 2023/2024?
No, I'm sorry, it's not. My primary phone is an 11 Pro Max. My secondary is a 6s Plus and that makes this a 'tertiary' phone.

I don't use it much, so it's holding up pretty well.

Nils Zaayenga

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2023
Hello everyone,

I would like to present you my next new addition.

Apple MacBook Pro; "Core 2 Duo" 2.2 GHz; 15" (mid 2007); 4 GB RAM; 250GB SSD; mac OS 10.11.6 (35€ purchase price)

IMG_0851.jpeg

I bought the MacBook Pro on E-Bay in mid-January. Nothing was obviously defective, it had no dents, no deep scratches but was very dirty. It had a 500 GB HDD and 2 GB RAM. A battery was missing.

I tested it first. Everything worked, but without the battery the Macbook Pro clocked down to 1 GHz and was very slow.

I then cleaned it inside and out, installed an Intenso SDD (15€ at Amazone) and expanded the RAM from my RAM storage to 4 GB.
I had briefly considered upgrading to the maximum of 6 GB, but the price of around €40 for a 4 GB RAM module is too expensive for me. Maybe I'll come across a cheap stick one day...
Perhaps a reader from Germany has a spare 4 GB RAM module (PC2-5300 DDR2, 667MHz, 200 PIN) that they would like to sell at a favourable price

IMG_0852.jpeg

IMG_0853.jpeg

I was able to get a new battery at a favourable price.

IMG_0854.jpeg

I reinstalled the hard drive with mac OS 10.11.6 and installed the other programmes I needed.

The Macbook Pro with the installed battery, RAM and SSD update is sufficiently fast.

Hello Amethyst1,

yes, the green sticker is on it. Otherwise, I think the graphics card would already be defective.

The picture is from before the cleaning and upgrade.

View attachment 2344047

Ah good. The green dot. You should be set for many years of good use to come. :)

This exact model was what I owned from 2008 to 2009, and what I used to conduct field research and to write my undergrad thesis. Unfortunately, it was stolen later in 2009, along with all the field notes, post-submission. :(

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
The iMac is what records the processed audio output in real time. It receives the FM broadcast-styled audio from the MBP via a mini-headphone-to-mini-headphone cable, to its mini-headphone input in rear. Via LineIn, it passes through its input, via the mini-headphone output, to the preamp (the black box beneath the cassette deck). This lets me monitor the processed output on the L-C-R-sub monitors.
I have a question regarding the iMac: could the processed audio be recorded on the MBP itself, or is a separate recording device vital? Is it because the output is also monitored? And since both the iMac and MBP seem to support S/PDIF, would a lossless digital audio connection between them be possible?

Last edited:
I have a question regarding the iMac: could the processed audio be recorded on the MBP itself, or is a separate recording device vital? Is it because the output is also monitored? And since both the iMac and MBP seem to support S/PDIF, would a lossless digital audio connection between them be possible?

These are good questions.

In the current setup, the iMac handles the recording of audio for two reasons.

First is it’s less load, as the iMac, using Sound Studio (Audacity could also work here) is recording the Audio Hijack-processed “broadcast output”. That is: the Audio Hijack filtering stack I’ve set up on the MBP is what gives the output the sound of analogue broadcast radio.

Meanwhile, the DJing console, Algoriddim djay, is also recording (with its built-in set-record feature) what I can the “raw” recording, pre-Hijack (like an in-studio recording at the source, typically for archival reasons). Having this “raw” source is handy in the rare case something needs to be re-sourced during post-production. I could have the MBP handle two different recordings simultaneously, in addition to Hijack processing and also the djay front-end itself, and I think it would probably handle just fine. But this brings up the other reason…

…which is, I do want to actively monitor the broadcast output visually and in real time, to make sure I give the “broadcast” output adequate raw headroom so to stay well clear of clipping. Were this analogue, it would be less an issue, but digital, of course, is very unforgiving around clipping.

As for S/PDIF, this was actually the very first thing I tried, since it made sense to try that first.

Unfortunately, I ran into intractable problems with software-based/system-based routing: analogue audio RCA input ported from the Behringer midi controller’s audio output to the MBP (which is RCA analogue only, as I believe the dual, discrete sound cards inside the Behringer are wired solelyfor analogue audio output, via single RCA set) refused to re-route outbound as S/PDIF output. This was, when first setting it up, the problem against which I kept banging my head without finding a way around it.

I even tried using my 17-inch MBP, which also has two, discrete S/PDIF ports, as I ran djay from it. Of course, the audio input from the mixer is still analogue, which seemed to be a problem for OS X to then re-transmit that input as a digital, S/PDIF output stream. (The same, I found, when using the iMac directly to input analogue audio and to send digital optical signal to the S/PDIF input on my preamp, as the preamp and its monitors are the montoring device for what the “broadcast” actually sounds like: it didn’t work.)

It seems the only way I’ve ever managed to get a Mac to output digital optical audio when is when: A) the digital audio being generated is on the device itself (e.g., running iTunes); or B) the input source from another device, to be routed as digital optical output, is also digital optical audio. This digital-in/digital-out setup is, in fact, how I’ve configured my G5 in the past, with success.

But hybridizing analogue in/digital out? It seems OS X does not like that very much. Maybe there’s a workaround, but after nearly two days of troubleshooting, I finally settled on the analogue/copper wire audio setup, where the only digital involved was in the recording software itself. Ultimately, for this particular project (which, by design, invites imperfection!), this works out just fine.

Nils Zaayenga

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2023
Hello everyone,

An IMac 12.2 landed at my place yesterday extremely unexpectedly. I was allowed to pick up my new work laptop (Dell XPS 17, I7, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4070, 1TB SSD...quite okay for a Windows computer ;-) ).
I had a little chat with my colleagues while handing over the laptop. At some point we talked about the IMac, which had been sitting unused in their office for about 2 years.
The IT colleagues told me that the computer had been used for MDM and had not had an operating system installed after the hard drive had been replaced. They had now given up and the "thing" was going to be thrown away.
They then asked me if I wanted it as a gift.... Yes, I did.
About 35 minutes after arriving at my home, MacOS 10.11.6 was running on the IMac. About two hours and several PRAM resets later, MacOS 14.3.1 was running ;-)

IMG_0972.jpeg

IMG_0973.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.