Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yetiboy

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
I don't think there's anyway to completely hide it like you would the dock (ie. have it pop down when needed but slide away when not), but you can use Nocturne to black it out. When you hover it comes back to full view. I leave it slightly transparent so that it looks very dimmed but not entirely gone. If you had it completely black it might give you the look you want.

yeti

great desktops here, I'm new to this but is there anyway to hide the menu bar on the desktop ? I'm running mountain lion and I just want to see my wallpaper full screen .

----------

I liked it too, until my hard drive crapped out. Apparently Time Machine doesn't preserve Geektool :p At some point I'll rebuild!

yeti

I really like this setup! Well done!

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I liked it too, until my hard drive crapped out. Apparently Time Machine doesn't preserve Geektool :p At some point I'll rebuild!

yeti

I lost all my Geektools once and didn't have them backed up....so now I keep most of them in Evernote (the command lines anyway) so it won't take as long to rebuild the next time.

Kryckter

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
I lost all my Geektools once and didn't have them backed up....so now I keep most of them in Evernote (the command lines anyway) so it won't take as long to rebuild the next time.

Thats my problem. I used to have some great geek tool setups. I have slowly lost them over the years and havent spent the time to rebuild... :(

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
14336505169_49030e17dd_o.png

I think this is a big improvement over my previous desktop

mrderik

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2010
Alaska
>is there anyway to hide the menu bar on the desktop?
No, but you can cover it - geek tools
D.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-10 at 5.01.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-10 at 5.01.24 PM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 290

jwhitt3

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2014
Weather Problems Anyone?

Never mind... went back and copied BigJM's fix and all is good. Whew.... lol

Last edited:

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
Yahoo weather icon

Has anyone else had their Yahoo Weather icon go missing?

My GeekTool "status feedback image" remains green, if I go to the Yahoo weather page URL, the page loads fine

(https://fr.meteo.yahoo.com/états-unis/californie/mt-shasta-12798172/)

I suspect that Yahoo has made some scripting changes within the HTML of the page. A remedy has eluded my technical level of troubleshooting.

Has someone experienced this and found a fix?

Last edited:

jwhitt3

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2014
Has anyone else had their Yahoo Weather icon go missing?

My GeekTool "status feedback image" remains green, if I go to the Yahoo weather page URL, the page loads fine

(https://fr.meteo.yahoo.com/états-unis/californie/mt-shasta-12798172/)

I suspect that Yahoo has made some scripting changes within the HTML of the page. A remedy has eluded my technical level of troubleshooting.

Has someone experienced this and found a fix?

Freeman, I had the exact issue on Saturday and I deleted the image shell and script shell... Copied BigJM's current fix on page 14 (I believe) and all was good. Obviously you need to set your current location as well.

Try that as it seems you are running into the same issue I had.

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
Freeman, I had the exact issue on Saturday and I deleted the image shell and script shell... Copied BigJM's current fix on page 14 (I believe) and all was good. Obviously you need to set your current location as well.

Try that as it seems you are running into the same issue I had.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've noodled around with this and actually have done various deletions and recreations. I'll keep hammering at repeating the same steps and expecting different results. :)

Some things I learned from Microsoft come in handy.

. . . . . {edit} . . . . . . .

Okay, this is simply strange, bizarre, whateveryouwanttocallit.

It had been working just fine . . . . occasionally, it would lag behind by an hour or two with regard to sunset or sunrise, but generally speaking, things were just peachy. The script I was using was right out of the fix BigJM had posted back on page 13.

Last edited:

jwhitt3

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2014
My Desktop

My Set Up

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-01 at 9.53.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-01 at 9.53.54 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 270

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
I've given up with the Yahoo weather icon... description still works fine and I can always look out the window!

:p

yetiboy

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
I've given up with the Yahoo weather icon... description still works fine and I can always look out the window!

:p

I think using local icons is the way to go, that way you don't have to worry about Yahoo constantly altering their page. It's more work putting the code together, but after that you'll never have to worry about it again.

yeti

bluespider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
Space Coast FL
Ok you programming wizards :) can someone throw something together for me that can display the current NFL standings preferably be able to limit by division... thinking something like this

NFC West Team W L T Pct
St. Louis Rams 0 0 0 .000
San Francisco 49ers 0 0 0 .000
Seattle Seahawks 0 0 0 .000
Arizona Cardinals 0 0 0 .000

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Ok you programming wizards :) can someone throw something together for me that can display the current NFL standings preferably be able to limit by division... thinking something like this

NFC West Team W L T Pct
St. Louis Rams 0 0 0 .000
San Francisco 49ers 0 0 0 .000
Seattle Seahawks 0 0 0 .000
Arizona Cardinals 0 0 0 .000

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

I have not found a site for standings (yet), but I did find this script for real time game scores for all/selected teams.

http://www.macosxtips.co.uk/geeklets/internet/life-nfl-scores-v2-0/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-16 at 8.13.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-16 at 8.13.09 PM.png
    548.8 KB · Views: 197

ShaiBrooklyn

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2014
First time poster here! Just basic GeekTool, Bowtie and Photoshop

21" iMac desktop, not as clean as I'd like but I still haven't figured out icon names in OSX
tumblr_nafyo8q2Qo1s1dcx1o1_1280.png

Macbook
tumblr_na80kiGwRu1s1dcx1o1_1280.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.