Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ibanez sv5470

I purchased an Ibanez SV5470 used for $350CAN Last week.

I don't know didly about playing the guitar nor the terms for it BUT ....

New Mac Mini,
Cable,
Amp

and lost of guidance or help ... hopefully I can learn to play somewhat decently within the next few months. I've been wanting to play for years now.

Attachments

• 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 264

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2007
I purchased an Ibanez SV5470 used for $350CAN Last week.

I don't know didly about playing the guitar nor the terms for it BUT ....

New Mac Mini,
Cable,
Amp

and lost of guidance or help ... hopefully I can learn to play somewhat decently within the next few months. I've been wanting to play for years now.

I love Ibanez guitars but for your 1st guitar to have a Floyd Rose bridge seems a jump in the deep end but nice guitar none the less.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I love Ibanez guitars but for your 1st guitar to have a Floyd Rose bridge seems a jump in the deep end but nice guitar none the less.

Many thanks ... I just learned the A Chord :D playing around this first bit just to see how horrible I strum the strings. GarageBand lessons start after Jiu-Jitsu tomorrow night :D

I cannot wait!!

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2007
Many thanks ... I just learned the A Chord :D playing around this first bit just to see how horrible I strum the strings. GarageBand lessons start after Jiu-Jitsu tomorrow night :D

I cannot wait!!

I scrapped the GB lessons I found it was better to learn from people on YouTube, there are some really good teachers on there and playing with other people helps but good luck none the less.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I scrapped the GB lessons I found it was better to learn from people on YouTube, there are some really good teachers on there and playing with other people helps but good luck none the less.

Many thanks - have any links or what I'd search for?
(sorry I'm from a previous Google search generation, at times something so similar in search escapes me in decent results).

Thus far I at least know the following about Guitar through GarageBand free lessons:

Kneck
Nut (lol, makes me laugh like a child every time for some reason)
Frets (somehow I reference BlackBerry frets but all the same)
EADGBE (EGBDF = music scale I learned with notation learning the Saxophone's in grade school, but its different on strings). it seems E-A, A-D, D-G, and B-E skips 2 notes on the scale (I'm not sure why?) yet G-B only skips 1 note, why??!
A- Chord (I learned the WRONG chord off google search, but corrected), C chord, A Major and a few others. 2 days - but I cannot remember the fingering just yet.

My fingers hurt like a famucka!!

Learning Guitar with a ring finger injury from a Jiu-Jitsu Gi wrapping my finger and getting pulled (OUCH), but at least I can move it a bit.

PS: Who in the WORLD thought up the fingering of Guitars?! I'd like to kick him in the balls and ask what was he thinking with placement of fingers, I'm learning from scratch like an imbecile so bare with me, but the some of the placements in the chords just don't make sense! I at least know why I must get a wrist band (so 80's I thought intially, but) its essential!

:apple:

PS: Other than Logic 9 Pro, does anyone think Apple's focus for music being at its core strengths is being forgotten since Jobs' untimely exit from this plane?

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2007
but I cannot remember the fingering just yet.

My fingers hurt like a famucka!!

Sounds like you had a messy night out mate ;).

But if your trying to learn a song or scales then open Youtube and type in, how to play Sweet Leaf on guitar or what ever it is that you want to play and then look for the best video like this....

I would also get a good book, I have had this book for a few years which is great
How to Play Guitar Step by Step and the rest is up to you.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sounds like you had a messy night out mate ;).

But if your trying to learn a song or scales then open Youtube and type in, how to play Sweet Leaf on guitar or what ever it is that you want to play and then look for the best video like this....
YouTube: video

I would also get a good book, I have had this book for a few years which is great
How to Play Guitar Step by Step and the rest is up to you.

Gracias Senor! Muchas Gracias.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
No probs bud, what kinda music are you wanting to play/learn?.

That's a tough question. Eventually I'd like to come up with basic sounds for composition into chill music or house tracks (a rif here or there).

Influence:
80's Rock
> Van Halen (up to Sammy Haggar), Bon Jovi, Metallica (up to the album with Enter Sandman; I don't know newer tracks), etc

Classic Rock:
Jimmi (common that should be part of every guitar players lists when learning how to play).

Ska and Roots N Culta.

I can't think of anything else ... I do recognize that Black Sabbath track - hell if I know how though? I grew up listening to Disco, Funk, and R&B Soul from my uncle and pops, then chosen Hip-Hop, House (all forms), so i have no idea how I know that track.

Rich5150

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2012
I'd love to read the specs on the acoustic.
TNX

You collect plectrums? I used to collect string packages hehe

The acoustic. Is just a cheap Dean exotica probably 8 years old or so all maple, family gift but it's decent enough till I get my Taylor 614ce

Yea I am a collector of concert plectrums, I believe at last count there's 85 or so. My girlfriend mounted them in the frames for my birthday so they could be displayed.

But also have probably over 1000 regular picks i that I have bought to try over the years

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
A better shot of the new Gibson....Now re-strung with Elixirs...Time for a sound test, but not now...Sunday morning + neighbours + Fender Valve stack = Grief...If they knock hard enough...:D

Attachments

• Gibson SG.jpg
    Gibson SG.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 182

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
My old guitar, sold it a while ago :(, Gibson 50th Anniversary Flying V

Attachments

• fvf.png
    fvf.png
    206.8 KB · Views: 160

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Sheesh man, sorry you had to sell it...My vintage stuff has commanded insane offers, but a lot of these buyers just put the guitars in a glass case...Never play them. All mine are in regular use...How much did you get for the V?

Don't be sorry, I got $2k for it, which is much more than I paid for it lol. I actually got it from Best Buy, they had it on clearance since sometime in 2009, I just had to sell it since I needed the cash for other things. If I can find another I'd buy it in a heartbeat, it was a beautiful guitar and the picture doesn't really do it justice.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
I couldn't figure out why everyones most recent purchase was a guitar.. then I realized I clicked the wrong thread. :p

master00

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2009
This is my James Goodall RCJC Jumbo Grand Concert. It is by far the best guitar I have ever owned and I'll probably never part with this one. The craftsmanship is phenomenal and the sitka spruce / rosewood with koa binding is seamless. It's effortless to play and with it's extended Grand Concert style body it really is an amazing sounding guitar even with the cutaway.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I used to own one of these 30th Anniversary Taylor XXX-RS (limited edition of 250) which was a very clean sounding guitar and fun to play but the craftsmanship was far inferior compared to the RCJC. Despite being properly stored and humidified the binding started to come loose, one of the ivoroid tuners fell off, amongst many other problems. I'll never buy another Taylor again.

Taylor_30th_XXX_RS_lg.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.