Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I've run through 2 Sony gaming headsets because of the same stress fracture that eventually makes the all crack. Sony says to everyone that it's their fault. Now Sony's new gaming headphones are made to remove that flaw, that was everyone's fault.

Sony's been notorious about that crack in the headbands.
It's unfortunate. I have been buying Sony products for as long as I have bought electronics. The downright lying from Sony has led me away permanently.

Plus, Amazon has the 700s at $100 off, so I spent less, too.

Reactions: JayMysterio

yurc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
Wow, I didn’t expect MacRumors have dedicated own Hi-Fi thread !! This is quite surprised me, watched for sure.

I didn’t have a fancy at this moments, just two h.ear Sony IEM as daily driver (another one is h.ear ver. 2 as backup, still pristine) because my first original h.ear IEM taking had a lot abuse and had many cosmetics damage, but still works great after three years service so far, driver still in good shape without parasitic buzz or rattle appearing.

I came from portable DAC Shanling UP4, so I searching desktop solution since using portable DAC in prolonged time with computer can hurt the battery. Currently torn between FIIO K3 or K5 Pro, K3 had small footprints and USB Type-C input as main strength, but K5 Pro have more power based on online information I gathered, but nasty printer cable USB-B as main connection on K5 pro is quite meh for me:confused: (albeit I can live with that)

Another question, consumer DAC should be OK living together in one DAW computer, right?
I had old Saffire Pro 14 connected through FireWire and newer Scarlet 2i2 Third gen (as portable setup)

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
I've run through 2 Sony gaming headsets because of the same stress fracture that eventually makes the all crack. Sony says to everyone that it's their fault. Now Sony's new gaming headphones are made to remove that flaw, that was everyone's fault.

Sony's been notorious about that crack in the headbands.
That stinks, does Sony not even offer repair of headphones with a little $$$? I've had numerous Playstation controllers fixed by Sony (with shipping costs).

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
That stinks, does Sony not even offer repair of headphones with a little $$$? I've had numerous Playstation controllers fixed by Sony (with shipping costs).
I was told to pound sand, honestly. It's one of those things where no one could help you but kept telling you who to call and you eventually get to customer care and they said no action was going to be taken.

Anyway I finally had to budge and order new headphones. I wanted to wait for Apple to announce theirs but the Bose NC 700 are amazing for call quality so that's where I went instead.

Reactions: sman789

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I bought the new design Platinum headphones from Best Buy but waited until they were $99 and use a few extra dollars to get BB's plan, which just basically replaces them.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
IMG_3881.JPG

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I'd just post a shot of my earbuds if I weren't still so busy trying to remember to tote along that USB-C to headphone jack adapter that my 2020 MBA thinks is such hot stuff. Ugh. Well, at least it works.

Reactions: Kevbasscat

Vonnegut5

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2020
Beats Studio 3 wireless got them on over the weekend

Attachments

• 865A1818-793B-4595-9A84-FFF01E065C40.jpeg
    865A1818-793B-4595-9A84-FFF01E065C40.jpeg
    266 KB · Views: 232

Kevbasscat

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2016
Banning, CA 92220
^I'm definitely interested in those (I also have the 58X). Unfortunately I rarely can listen with open-back headphones because I don't live in a very quiet environment. :(
I'm finding that same issue also, only in the opposite. My home is like a monastery, and any noise is frowned upon, lol. I let her get by for too many years without loud music in the house, now she complains, waa:). So lately I've been practicing my bass with my rig in the house and my full stereo blowing, (JBL L-100's) just for reference, so she'll appreciate just how quiet the headphones really are:). Perspective is a wonderful thing...

Reactions: ThisBougieLife

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
^I'm definitely interested in those (I also have the 58X). Unfortunately I rarely can listen with open-back headphones because I don't live in a very quiet environment. :(
That's so funny. So I used to shy away from open back headphones because I didn't want to external sound seeping in. This was when I was younger, in college. Now, I rely on open backs to hear my kids in case they fall or hurt themselves or get too rowdy. I now have 1 pair of sony m4s for the noise cancelling for work hours and grado gw100 for enjoyment.

Amigaman

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Greenville, MI
I picked up the Hifiman Arya a few days ago and I'm super impressed overall. My current AMP (JDS Labs EL AMP) only puts out 1.1w at 32 Ohm and that isn't nearly enough for these beasts. Still, the Arya sounds fantastic even with nothing more than 1.1w to drive them. I'm seriously considering picking up a new AMP just to see what these cans can do with 2-6w of power. I really need an extra set of RCA outs so the Topping L30 or the Schitt Magnius are looking good right now.

IMG_0490.jpg

Last edited:

Amigaman

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Greenville, MI
Also, in case you don't already know this and if you do, forgive me for saying so, but don't judge your new cans sound right away. They need some burn-in or break-in period before they really sound good like they should. Something like 20 to 50 hours of use are what times I see thrown around for that.
Agreed. My new Aryas sounded good when I got them. However, after 20+ hours of burn in they now sound fantastic. For those interested, I burned in the Aryas by playing pink noise through them for 24 hours.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Agreed. My new Aryas sounded good when I got them. However, after 20+ hours of burn in they now sound fantastic. For those interested, I burned in the Aryas by playing pink noise through them for 24 hours.
BT one or the wired one?

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2009
London
Master & Dynamic MW65, love these, best sound.
Also have B&O H7 H8i B&W P5 Wireless, Sony XM1, XM3, PowerBeats Pro and AirPods Pro
_DSC0768.jpg

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
headphones.png

Not a terribly fancy picture, but here goes! My 250ohm DT880s are my daily driver, with the others being retired and used as spares for random things. I've been thinking about buying an amp but can't make up my mind between a Schiit Magni or Vali 2. Or something cheaper! Those ifi zens look appealing at times.

Guess I've got time. The Vali looks so cool though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.