Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
3 (for now) POE-enabled weatherproof IP cameras, and a little 5-port POE switch, to keep an eye on the comings and goings outside the house.

2 of the 3 cameras have arrived, and the switch isn't far off, so the next thing is 100M of outdoor rated Cat5E, and a bunch of Gel connectors.

1576601141384.png

1576601189632.png

Reactions: Pow!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
3 (for now) POE-enabled weatherproof IP cameras, and a little 5-port POE switch, to keep an eye on the comings and goings outside the house.

I've been shopping some of the same products, I'll be watching to see how your install goes (I'd rather run [PEO] ethernet vs. using WiFi and having to run power)

BTW, my TB3 drive shipped, I can't wait to get a photo of the drive in an otherwise empty box ... *snicker*

Tone control. Schiit Loki
cc: @D.T.

When (starting to feel like _if_) I see them as a B stock, I'll grab one!

Just got an iPhone 11 Pro 64gb, i'm loving it, coming from a 6S the diferences are stunning!

Can't wait for my wife to open hers ... so I can use it all the time :p (she's coming from a 7, but it should still be a pretty amazing upgrade for her).

Daughter is getting a new 11 (and her first actual phone line/number <3)

Reactions: Stephen.R

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I've been shopping some of the same products, I'll be watching to see how your install goes (I'd rather run [PEO] ethernet vs. using WiFi and having to run power)

you’ll probably have an easier time product wise - the choices here are essentially cheap Chinese brands on marketplace sites, or largely the same cheap Chinese brands sold at much higher prices in regular retailers.

We actually have power within pretty easy range of where all the cameras will be, but I doubt the wifi signal will penetrate the countless concrete walls (even internal ones) and if I have to run Ethernet for an AP I may as well just run the Ethernet outside. It also has the added benefit that I can just run the POE switch from a UPS (router is already on one) and power outages won’t suddenly kill the whole thing.

The biggest “gamble” so far really is that the onvif feature of the cameras works as advertised, so I can use them with https://www.bensoftware.com/securityspy/ or similar.

I’d have bought something with HomeKit compatibility if they existed here, but recent events have turned this from a “hey we should do this some time” to “hey we really need to ****ing do this thing right meow!” so waiting for someone to start importing a compatible model isn’t an option any more.

faust

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I don’t know what kind of info you’re seeing but I’m seeing the opposite. AMDs are much better than intels buggy offerings. My Quadro card runs better on Apples default drivers on my 2010 Mac Pro vs Nvidias latest web drivers which are so bad that using them causes me to lose all transparency in the entire OS and it’s been this way for over a year.

Nvidias Quadro cards are also a joke. Many of them are literally gaming hardware with different drivers at 3x the price. Good riddance.
why last? You moving to Mars and Apple products dont work there? :D

Nah, the last Apple computer I had was a spectacular mess and I'm not terribly interested in going through a similar experience again.

Reactions: MuGeN PoWeR

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
1576788661164.jpeg

An Apollo PEX crimping tool, about $60 at Home Depot.

Purchased for the ongoing bathroom remodel project (see: Scope Creep).

Having sweated my fair share of copper pipe, and glued my fair share of pvc pipe, some years back, I am actually looking forward to using this thing.

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
We have well water, which rapidly corrodes copper plumbing. Consequently, flexible polyethelene pipe (PEX) is the only thing that works.
The good news is, it’s both cheaper and easier to work with.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
We have well water, which rapidly corrodes copper plumbing. Consequently, flexible polyethelene pipe (PEX) is the only thing that works.
The good news is, it’s both cheaper and easier to work with.
I’ve always been concerned about plastic push fit stuff. Not sure how durable it is over time.

But if your water corrodes copper pipes what is it doing to your insides? :eek:

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
I’ve always been concerned about plastic push fit stuff. Not sure how durable it is over time.

But if your water corrodes copper pipes what is it doing to your insides? :eek:

It appears to be durable. At least the type that’s joined with crimp rings. Can’t really say for the push on connectors.

As for what it does to my insides, I’m reasonably certain that my insides aren’t lined with copper ;)

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
EF29CBE8-5784-4CFF-9C57-7DFAF6567990.jpeg

Rescued some old PPC Apple discs from a thrift.
C239A83E-0926-46EB-A5F9-0FC6404E672C.jpeg

An IBM KB9930. Love these old clumsy 90’s “internet” keyboards.

Reactions: CooperBox
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.