Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
trying to get some inspiration as I am beginning a new role and will be traveling so looking for travel items, best noise cancelling headphones, and other little trinkets to supply to family as they continually ask "what do you want for christmas?"

Any and all items that make travel amazing are welcomed :)

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
A multitool, from SOG. To replace my old Leatherman.
1576083325913.jpeg

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
A multitool, from SOG. To replace my old Leatherman. View attachment 882127

I carried a simple Leatherman for years while working in SF. What a versatile tool! I must have used it every single day for something. This SOG tool looks nicer and lighter. I especially like the parkerized-ish finish over the bright/reflective stainless of my old Leatherman.

Reactions: Matz

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
An $8 (equivalent) USB-C to DP cable from china because apparently no local stores anywhere in this country sell them. It's cheap enough that it's worth a chance. The same online marketplace has some others that are 8x the price (which is what I expected to pay) but those are also no name brand, no warranty, still from China.

If this one is crap (this is almost like gambling really isn't it?) I may give in and get one shipped via Amazon or NewEgg. It's not a critical item - it'd just be nice to sometimes have the option to switch one of the 4k displays to the laptop, e.g if I'm trying to use the laptop while the mini is doing something intensive, or out of action due to software update/reinstall/etc.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
MacBook Pro 16 / AppleCare+
2.3Ghz i9, 32GB RAM, 550m 8GB, 1TB SSD

1576248291827.png

Glyph Atom Pro 2TB TB3 SSD

1576248374605.png

Twelve South Curve stand:
1576248490945.png

Apple Magic Keyboard 2 + Mouse:

1576248553089.png

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
I carried a simple Leatherman for years while working in SF. What a versatile tool! I must have used it every single day for something. This SOG tool looks nicer and lighter. I especially like the parkerized-ish finish over the bright/reflective stainless of my old Leatherman.

I’m looking forward to receiving it on Monday.

Two of the main drawbacks of the Leatherman (for me) are that 1) it takes two hands to open the knife, and 2) accessing the knife requires opening the main tool handle.

SOG addresses both by making its two blades accessible without having to open the whole thing, and, even better, allows either one to be opened one-handed, via a spring-assisted mechanism. Once open, the knife blade can be locked into position. Likewise with the other tools.

My current EDC knife is a SOG Flash II, which also has assisted opening for one-handed use. I can’t imagine going back to a standard pocket knife.

Reactions: Gutwrench

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I’m looking forward to receiving it on Monday.

Two of the main drawbacks of the Leatherman (for me) are that 1) it takes two hands to open the knife, and 2) accessing the knife requires opening the main tool handle.

SOG addresses both by making its two blades accessible without having to open the whole thing, and, even better, allows either one to be opened one-handed, via a spring-assisted mechanism. Once open, the knife blade can be locked into position. Likewise with the other tools.

My current EDC knife is a SOG Flash II, which also has assisted opening for one-handed use. I can’t imagine going back to a standard pocket knife.

Those are excellent features! I didn’t give much thought about having to use two hands to open the Leatherman (back then), but accessing the blades were a PITA! SOG looks like a better product.

Reactions: Matz

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
I bought two of these a couple of years ago...are they good? Yeah but not as great as they advertise them. I hope you bought them a size larger than you usually wear too.

The site says they’re “pre shrunk”. So far i’m really liking the feel of the material; heavy/sturdy.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
3 (for now) POE-enabled weatherproof IP cameras, and a little 5-port POE switch, to keep an eye on the comings and goings outside the house.

1576499672529.png
2787eecf0263f25bf600e8798b051aa9.jpg

Reactions: D.T.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.