Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pyramidic.shallot

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2022
I much prefer Leopard WebKit for most stuff cause it just feels faster, I tend to only fall back to InterWebPPC if the site I'm going for doesn't work

originaldotexe

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2020
Kentucky
I much prefer Leopard WebKit for most stuff cause it just feels faster, I tend to only fall back to InterWebPPC if the site I'm going for doesn't work
lwk doesnt just feel faster, it is much faster, especially on slow machines like g4's. and as a bonus you can relink a lot of old apps & webkit based browsers against it to make them work again on the modern web :D

Reactions: lepidotós

originaldotexe

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2020
Kentucky
Running a bit out of space, so some of my PPC machines are sort of in semi permanent storage...
Gotta get them out once, every other month or so, give them a lookover (no leaking batteries os stuff like that) and start them up, making sure all the moving parts still move :)

Did just that this afternoon...

Whipped out the iMac G4 and the PowerPC G5 with Apple Cinema Display...
Wanted to take advantage of getting Leopard on the G5, but hitting a brick wall tring to boot from the USB Leopard installer.
Tried through Open Firmware and everything but no dice. Simply won't boot from the USB.
Looks like the USB thumbdrive is correctly loaded though, as when I insert it (while running Tiger) it immediately pops up the Leopard DVD installer window.
No empty Dual Layer DVD's lying around, so can't burn the DVD installer either.

So, as I was running out of time, for now postponed to the next time I take it out....

View attachment 1992495 View attachment 1992496
there is a single layer leopard iso on the macintosh garden site. just make sure to deselect all the extra options like "printer drivers" and "language translations" as removing those from the iso is what allowed them to fit it in a single layer dvd size

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
all you have to do is run a proxy server like squids or webone on another machine. even just a little raspberry pi zero or some other low powered device is more than fast enough for this
Given the months of man hours I've put into PowerPC tinkering, I don't think I can be accused of being lazy regarding workarounds but I have to draw the line at running a local proxy on another machine (or investing in another Quad to run on same machine.) ;)

originaldotexe

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2020
Kentucky
Given the months of man hours I've put into PowerPC tinkering, I don't think I can be accused of being lazy regarding workarounds but I have to draw the line at running a local proxy on another machine (or investing in another Quad to run on same machine.) ;)
raspberry pi zero is only $5 brand new, i'd say that price is worth it to get your web browser running properly. or just run it on some other old machine, i would imagine most of us here on the powerpc forums most likely have more than just a single machine lying around :)

Reactions: Amethyst1

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
raspberry pi zero is only $5 brand new, i'd say that price is worth it to get your web browser running properly. or just run it on some other old machine, i would imagine most of us here on the powerpc forums most likely have more than just a single machine lying around :)
Yes, I've got lots of donor machines but that's not my point - I'm reluctant to outsource the problem to other devices - I see that as cheating, I prefer a workaround that's self contained and can be shared.

Obviously I have no problem if the proxy is server side like some Youtube solutions and the Opera mini browser.

originaldotexe

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2020
Kentucky
Yes, I've got lots of donor machines but that's not my point - I'm reluctant to outsource the problem to other devices - I see that as cheating, I prefer a workaround that's self contained and can be shared.

Obviously I have no problem if the proxy is server side like some Youtube solutions and the Opera mini browser.
i see, well in that case maybe you can compile webone with macports and run it locally (since squids proxy on ppc seems to be unstable)

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
i see, well in that case maybe you can compile webone with macports and run it locally (since squids proxy on ppc seems to be unstable)
It's immaterial as a PowerPC man does not live by WebKit alone :D

Any healthy Leopard install of mine sees LWK rubbing shoulders with TFF, InterWeb and Links2....along with a stack of Boxes :)

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
@Dronecatcher "PowerPC Man"

PowerPC Man.png

originaldotexe

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2020
Kentucky
not sure if this really counts as a setup but:
its alive! fast 150mbps wifi with wpa2 on my ibook g4!
unknown.png

unknown.png
as you can see in the above photo, the dongle is very small with no external antenna so i can just leave it plugged in 24/7 and not worry about it breaking/snapping.
using edimax ew7811un v1 (v2 does NOT work in ppc 10.4/10.5!!!)

Berenod

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2020
Mixed setup!
First three are Motorola 68000 models, the others PPC...

From left to right;
  • Macintosh portable
  • Macintosh SE
  • PowerBook Duo 230
  • iBook G4
  • PowerBook G4
  • Cube G4
  • iMac G4
  • Powermac Dual G5
Only the Cube is not cooperating, won't boot properly, it's a finicky device for sure...

IMG20220521110649.jpg

gagigu

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2021
Switzerland
Beside my non working and modded 20" iMac G4 I found on a local online selling page the holy grail itself. A boxed 20" iMac G4 in pristine condition, running Leopard and everything is working fine! Sadly the upper part of the styrofoam is missing so it's very fragile for transport and storage.

Next step is to upgrade RAM and to 10.5.9 Sorbet Leopard. Maybe I'm also upgrading to a SSD but I'm not sure as the original HDD is running very quiet and it's still very fast.

IMG_3783.jpg

IMG_3785.jpg

IMG_3787.jpg

IMG_3796.jpg

marcosfisica

macrumors member
May 1, 2020
Brazil
Beside my non working and modded 20" iMac G4 I found on a local online selling page the holy grail itself. A boxed 20" iMac G4 in pristine condition, running Leopard and everything is working fine! Sadly the upper part of the styrofoam is missing so it's very fragile for transport and storage.

Next step is to upgrade RAM and to 10.5.9 Sorbet Leopard. Maybe I'm also upgrading to a SSD but I'm not sure as the original HDD is running very quiet and it's still very fast.

View attachment 2010466
View attachment 2010467
View attachment 2010468
View attachment 2010469
oh my god! what a beautiful thing!
don't touch it! leave it as original as possible! maybe just ram upgrade.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
lwk doesnt just feel faster, it is much faster, especially on slow machines like g4's. and as a bonus you can relink a lot of old apps & webkit based browsers against it to make them work again on the modern web :D
Ah, but can you customize LWK?

2022-05-29 10.06.06.jpg 2022-05-29 10.06.12.jpg 2022-05-29 10.06.27.jpg

I think not.

Some people (me) value customization over speed. Things like uMatrix help to even the score.

originaldotexe

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2020
Kentucky
Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
i understand, but i personally prefer it to fit in with the os x style anyways, which lwk does since it just looks like safari. so its the best option for me
Everyone is different. I spend up to 15 hours or more in front of a computer every day, and quite a lot of that time is in a web browser. So, my preference is something I can customize to my tastes. We're discussing web browsers at the moment but this also applies to the OS.

I suppose I just disagree with most OS/browser designers about how the OS/browser should look.

falnkyz

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2022
Mixed setup!
First three are Motorola 68000 models, the others PPC...

From left to right;
  • Macintosh portable
  • Macintosh SE
  • PowerBook Duo 230
  • iBook G4
  • PowerBook G4
  • Cube G4
  • iMac G4
  • Powermac Dual G5
Only the Cube is not cooperating, won't boot properly, it's a finicky device for sure...

View attachment 2007644

What do you do with all of these? I guess its some kind of service centre

bkmoore773

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2022
IMG_8973.jpeg

AC20FA38-C794-4EDA-937F-890BCF6FAF54_1_105_c.jpeg

Dual Core 2.3 GHz Powermac G5, 30" Apple Studio Display, SoundSticks audio system.

This computer was a local classified rescue/find. It cleaned up very nicely. I completely disassembled the computer, cleaned everything thoroughly, replaced thermal paste on Northbridge, CPU, and GPU, new PRAM battery, and performed thermal calibration. Computer looks and runs just like a new. It is very quiet, I can barely tell its on, even under a full load. For a 17 year old computer, the performance is amazing, and the system is rock solid. It has never crashed.

Thank you for all the hard work from the community to create Sorbet Leopard and a modern web browser and email client to keep these computers going in 2022.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
View attachment 2026681

View attachment 2026682

Dual Core 2.3 GHz Powermac G5, 30" Apple Studio Display, SoundSticks audio system.

This computer was a local classified rescue/find. It cleaned up very nicely. I completely disassembled the computer, cleaned everything thoroughly, replaced thermal paste on Northbridge, CPU, and GPU, new PRAM battery, and performed thermal calibration. Computer looks and runs just like a new. It is very quiet, I can barely tell its on, even under a full load. For a 17 year old computer, the performance is amazing, and the system is rock solid. It has never crashed.

Thank you for all the hard work from the community to create Sorbet Leopard and a modern web browser and email client to keep these computers going in 2022.
Whatever you paid, that 30" Cinema Display is worth the price alone - especially if it came with the power supply. I hear those are running around $150 just by themselves.

The 2.3DC is a real nice, rock-solid system so an awesome score you got there all the way around!

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
View attachment 2026681

View attachment 2026682

pretty amazing how the G5 tower still looks better then any pro desktop computer Apple has come out with since. I had a Dual G5 and and it was a work of art, balancing function and form. A shame Apple can't do that anymore.

Guitarmas

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2022
Wow! Great systems guys!
I'm new here.
I have a Performa 6400/180!
From left to right:
MacPro 5,1. 2010 Imac. 2007 Imac.
(Not pictured yet: 2012 MacBook Pro. 2010 MacBook Pro.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 20220719_190710.jpg
    20220719_190710.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.