Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alenu

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2020
familia.jpg

From left to right - up to down: 2007 MacBook (10.8), 12" iBook G4 (800 MHz - 10.4), 2010 MacBook (10.12), 12" PowerBook G4 (1,5GHz - 10.5) resting over her 15" sister -sadly not booting anymore-, Titanium PowerBook G4 (1GHz - OS 9).

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
From left to right - up to down: 2007 MacBook (10.8), 12" iBook G4 (800 MHz - 10.4), 2010 MacBook (10.12), 12" PowerBook G4 (1,5GHz - 10.5) resting over her 15" sister -sadly not booting anymore-, Titanium PowerBook G4 (1GHz - OS 9).
Nice collection. Do you have a favourite?

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
5:4 is nice, I’ve tried and liked it. But Apple never used it, I wonder why
Presumably because the vast majority of CRTs use a 4:3 aspect ratio, and running a 5:4 resolution on them makes things look weird unless you adjust their settings. 5:4 only really took off when 1280×1024 LCDs became a thing in the late 1990s.
We were wrong, haha. I realised that Apple did make one 5:4 monitor – the 17-inch ADC Studio Display. 1280x1024. In case anyone was interested.

Mowerman

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2023
Sydney Australai
Right now the machine in question is a 1,8Ghz G 5 8 G ram standard video card.
Fairly std used mainly for Photoshop & emails
Had a cinema display but that died which was a bitch because it was calibrated to the Epson 3000's but they have not been used for a couple of years & are resisting unclogging the print head .

There is a quicksilver with a raid card
A G3 tower that is about to get the heave ho ( any one want it ) along with an G3 accelerator card never fitted .

That is about me other than the 2011 I-Mac I am typing on right now running OS 10.11.6 , maxed ram running off an external fire wire ssd

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
Had a cinema display but that died which was a bitch because it was calibrated to the Epson 3000's but they have not been used for a couple of years & are resisting unclogging the print head .

A G3 tower that is about to get the heave ho ( any one want it ) along with an G3 accelerator card never fitted .

That is about me other than the 2011 I-Mac I am typing on right now running OS 10.11.6 , maxed ram running off an external fire wire ssd
There’s got to be some retro computer folks in the Sydney area who’d love to have a g3 powermac. If no one bites here, put it up on FB marketplace or tinkerdifferent.

Mowerman

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2023
Sydney Australai
Some call me a luddite although as you can see I do have a few computers.
However I do not indulge in any social media at all apart from forums like this .
No face book, no instagram no twitter so it will be evilpay or gumtree if it gets listed .
Google me and I do not exist and that is the way I like it .
FWIW I suffered through Fourtran at UNSW on the about to be retired IBM 360 ,followed by Basic @ Sydney TAFE on the brand spanking new DEC PDP 10 & then cobol at NSWIT back to punch cars again.( before it became a 3rd rate university ) so I get into trouble when trying to use command line operating as all 3 get jumbled up in the old noggin and of course the one I never learned was UNIX .
BAck then industry used stuff had simple switches for I/O so try installing a 2000 line programme one 4 bit word at a time using 4 toggle switches & a momentary button .
GUI's are really nice

Mowerman

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2023
Sydney Australai
Welcome to the forum! I'd be interested in seeing more about this setup.
Which set up
They were all on a LAN but we got a lightning strike that fried the ethernet connections on 2 of them, blew the switch & actually burned the modem so I guess it came via the phone cable

So Lan 2 used a pair of Netcomm NP 121's in bridge mode to isolate the computers from the ADSL phone line and they got fried in another strike ( this one hit the power pole and blew the fuse box to pieces )

The G 5 is pretty basic, the quicksilver has all the tricky bits .

Mowerman

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2023
Sydney Australai
The raid card is a VST UltraTec/66 IDE raid card for Mackintosh.
It came with Soft Raid and a Molex Y cable
I bought another Y cable so I can run 4 drives under Raid but found it to be a bit klunky but I could use all of those smaller old drives so the system & applications used to run on a stripe then the data was stored on the bigger drives ( remember when 40 Gb was a big drive ) as a mirrored pair which removed the need for making backups.
The IDE plug on the motherboard had a single drive with the back up for the striped disc .
Being that the old apps are very memory efficient I made a ram disc for photoshop to use as the scratch disc and like that the old quicksilver used to fly through my simple photo editing .
It was my main computer for a long time till a customers customer was tossing their G5's in favour of using Mac pro towers & mini-macs ( digital art school ) .
The students naturally bought all of the faster DP machines so I got the 2 single processor machines really cheap .
So while they are a lot faster chipset, the quicksilver would eat the G5 in Photoshop (7, I think ) .
When I got the G5's I retired the original Quadra which was donated to one of those computer charities and ended up being used as a server in a kindergarden.
The quadra was bought at a clearing sale from a computer shop when they got their first shipment of Risc chipped machines & is the only new computer I have ever owned

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia

I'm in Sydney! 😀

Mowerman

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2023
Sydney Australai
I'm in Sydney! 😀
You are welcome to the G3 if you want it
I will need a day to wipe the business files off.
Has a Zip drive as well & there are a lot of new & used Zips to go with it if you want + a processor upgrade I never got around to fitting because I got the cache of G4's , 2 graphites & 3 quicksilvers .
I will be keeping the quicksilvers as back ups but you are welcome to the zapped & the working graphites as well if you want them.

Mowerman

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2023
Sydney Australai
Some call me a luddite although as you can see I do have a few computers.
However I do not indulge in any social media at all apart from forums like this .
No face book, no instagram no twitter so it will be evilpay or gumtree if it gets listed .
WIW I suffered through Fourtran at UNSW on the IBM 360 , Basic @ Sydney TAFE on the dec 10 & cobal at NSWIT ( before it became a 3rd rate university ) the promptly decided that all this computing stuff would never be needed and prompty forgot the lot

Reactions: dextructor

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Loving this thread.. so many PPC,s still being used everyday.
I still have 2 g5 Macs, and an ilamp. The ilamp still gets used a lot, but the G5s I have are in storage. I also have one very rare G5 video card for when I get around (probably when I hit retirement) to plugging the DC G5 back together.

bladerunner88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
Off World
my imac g4 is used as my hotline server. and i still have 1 of my g5's operational for older osx games.
Ha Same! Recently fired up Tom Clancy's "Ghost Recon" on my G5. Also have Bungie's Oni and Myth tho can still play those on my Trash Can, Oni with some of the cheats enabled is 🎉

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2018
Collection update.

I guess this is my “power pc era” table now. I have a 12 inch iBook (1.07 GHz) running Tiger, an iMac G5 (1.8 GHz) running Leopard, an Apple Cinema Display (c.2003-8) and a 14 inch iBook (1.33 GHz) running Tiger loaded from an external FireWire enclosure (480 GB) and Leopard internally on the 60 GB drive.

B1C9653D-1CB5-4B5C-8CAD-D8DA87511080.jpeg

Might get a PowerBook in the future but just not right now. I’m quite fond of the iBooks, even though they’re not as powerful.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
It boots and runs but fans are a bit loud. Maybe cooling needs more attention?
I can see you have the door off - is the plastic shield in place - without it the fans will rev up?

You can try to calibrate the thermal sensors with an AHD disk - hopefully that might work or at least tell you if a sensor is defective....that's in addition to the cooling system potentially having a problem.

I had two Quads - one was silent, the other hummed along...but I had a Dual 2.3 that was so noisy it had to be run in Reduced mode all the time!

ToniCH

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
I can see you have the door off - is the plastic shield in place - without it the fans will rev up?

You can try to calibrate the thermal sensors with an AHD disk - hopefully that might work or at least tell you if a sensor is defective....that's in addition to the cooling system potentially having a problem.
Yes, the plastic shield is in place. This is my 3rd G5 but first Quad.

I downloaded the ASD2.6.3.dmg which I guess is the correct one (?). It was only 300+ MB but could not be burned to a CD (not enough space on disk). I guess I now need to figure out where I can buy empty DVD-R discs in 2023. ;)

ToniCH

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
I'll get some DVD's tomorrow, if I can find them, and then run tests.

But, I noticed that I might have 2 dead memory slots. I can only get 12GB RAM visible. Same 2 slots show empty even if I swap memory around. :(

Oh, btw. mine is single pump Delphi -model.

EDIT: found a solution to my high fan speeds from this thread: click

So, it was the Sorbet Leopards default setting of using max processor performance all the time. Switched to automatic and voila! Looks much nicer and went way more quieter too. :cool:

In my quick test the fan speeds didn't go all the way to their lowest setting (?) but at least the temps are low now. Maybe if I'll let it idle longer the fan speeds would go even lower?

95% idle on left and some more load on right. And the 3rd one is after I switched to automatic.

Attachments

• Idle vs some load.jpg
    Idle vs some load.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Processor set to automatic.jpg
    Processor set to automatic.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
With that, this is my current setup. The M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI sound card caused issues with Mac OS X Tiger and strange sound issues in Mac OS 9, so I got the Firewire Audiophile one, which works perfectly both on Tiger and Mac OS 9. Now I can listen to quality Hi-res/Lossless Japanese music on my Mac.

Have you considered using external DAC over Toslink/USB/Firewire? You gonna get a higher sound quality that way. I am not 100% sure if USB DACs are supported in OS 9 (they do work in 10.5.8/10.6 PPC), but optical out will always work. Just make sure to get a glass cable, like those Audio-technica or Wireworld made.
High-res ALACs/FLACs can be played on PPC in Fidelia or similar apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.