Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
i hope he's right

but if you read all the post he is retarded, he keeps quoting these unlimited sources, and yet he seems to be a college student or something, how could he have 4 or five dependable apple sources?? He also said that they are releasing G4 iBooks along with the powerbooks... c'mon, dude is on crack. no way in hell there will be a g4 iBook AND powerbook unless the powerbook was dual (and we know that aint happening)

technocoy

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
if he's right i'll offer my deepest apologies for calling him a bloody CRACK HEAD,
and i'll send him fifty bucks as well..... I'm waiting.....

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by WanaPBnow
So help me, if I don't get ATI 9000 with 64MB DDR, I'm gonna go buy a PC!

There are only a few PC Notebooks with 64MB VRAM...and even fewer with the new mobility radeon 9000...and they are tanks. So have fun. I am waiting for a PC the size of an iBook to have the Radeon 9000 before I buy.

impierced

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2002
Re: i hope he's right

Originally posted by technocoy
but if you read all the post he is retarded, he keeps quoting these unlimited sources, and yet he seems to be a college student or something, how could he have 4 or five dependable apple sources?? He also said that they are releasing G4 iBooks along with the powerbooks... c'mon, dude is on crack. no way in hell there will be a g4 iBook AND powerbook unless the powerbook was dual (and we know that aint happening)

technocoy

Let me clarify a few things regarding seanyepez at MacNN forums:

1. He initially quoted two independent sources and said he wouldn't have come forward unless they both provided him with the same information, which they apparently did. Then said a third backed up the previous two. Not 4 or 5.
2. He is actually 14 or 15 years old and not in college.
3. He has his email address in his sig file so he's really going to take a beating if he isn't correct at least on an announcement.

For the record I'm extremely skeptical, but until tomorrow rolls around nobody knows what's going to be announced, if anything.

Contradicting sean, someone else in the forum is saying an announcement will be comming the first week of November and the iBook will remain with a G3 processor and the PowerBook G4 will in have a Superdrive but none will have Bluetooth on the motherboard.

soilchmst

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2002
About PB supply

I heard Ingram Micro is down to less than 800 (667mhz) and 300 (800mhz) powerbooks. If this is correct, then maybe new models are in route (since Ingram is a major Apple vendor) :D

Unfortunately, there was a whole port strike crisis on the west coast, and maybe these low inventories are due to backups and not due a pending End of Life change :rolleyes:

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
And here, wednesday morning on the east coast, most of the mac rumor type sites are pretty quiet...maybe before the storm?
TM

TopGear

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2002
When?

Depends on what they're timing it for -- 10 or 11 a.m. Pacific Time is a good guess. Press releases for earnings are different: they're usually announced after the markets close. But if they *do* make an announcement, they'll want to get some bang out of it -- more press, more coverage.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Re: Powerbook updates?

Originally posted by arn
http://www.yourdailymac.com

Powerbooks this week? And some specs....

there are a lot of powerbooks still in the channel... so this week seems unlikely.

arn
arn- yourdailymac.com got their info and specs off a thread at macnn by seanyepez. He believes today they will be released if not then real soon. Another poster swore on the first week of Nov.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Well Here we are on Wednesday. No update. No new powerbooks in the channels though. (ala. Clubmac, Smalldog, and Comp USA) But Perhaps that is just Apple making good on reducing inventories.

I read another post somewhere that said Nov. 5th, but I have a feeling we will be seeing those about every 2 weeks until MWSF.

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
Originally posted by Stelliform

I read another post somewhere that said Nov. 5th, but I have a feeling we will be seeing those about every 2 weeks until MWSF.

(...) I have to call my Mac buddy almost every day to talk me out of buying one right now. He says wait until mid november. (But then I am only a month and a half from MWSF)

...I hate to say that, but i feel tempted to buy an ThinkPad CTO 2658 R, 'cause I feel played for a sucker by Apple! If they don't want my money, fine...:mad:

I don't think that I'll wait till MWSF, that's rediculous!!!

...getting really angry!!!

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
if its going to be that 7.4" inch one, it seriously wouldnt be worth $5000 CDN to get...but if its still the widescreen powerbook than it'dd probably be worth it...but hopefully the price drops...but it wont :(

roy_g_biv

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
San Francisco
everyone keeps saying "mwsf, mwsf, i'm waiting for mwsf," but hasn't just about every source said repeatedly that apple no longer plans to use macworld as a forum for introducing new macs? if apple were smart, they would get new tibooks out for the holiday shopping season. i'm crossing my fingers for nov.

bh192012

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2002
I'm waiting for what's next for the iBook. Whatever it is I'm probably going to buy it. I'm not going to buy one of their current iBooks. The sooner Apple releases something, the sooner they'll get their money.

vixapphire

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles
so it's a little ventacious, please forgive.

the more i wait around for these jokers in cupertino to get off their asses and service their market with some woody product, the better a nice, used 7 or 800 meg powermac looks as a one or two year holdover until they've settled on a new line of products with more than a ridiculously minimalist incremental speed bump every half-year or so.

i admit that, while i even enjoy the speed and slickness of my old 450 blue and white g3 (although i really need G4 speed for music production anymore), part of the frustration is the comparatively exuberant clock speeds on the intel cpu's. all benefits of the altivec instruction set aside, what objective reasons remain for the clock-speed gaps? i'm not being an ass, i actually would like an informed, non-opinion-laden, non-flaming answer if anyone cares to enlighten.

additional frustration results from the fact that nowadays, even the intro of a new line of powermacs doesn't result in a huge drop in the old line's pricing, like it did when i bought my g3 (a couple weeks after the g4's hit the streets), so the used market is pretty inflated/resilient/whatever. so i'm a cheap bastard looking for a great deal on a powerful computer - don't hate me for that!

faster, please. bring the freakin' 1 gig powerbook already, dammit.

by the way, i know this is a powerbook thread - my point is that before i spend 3-plus large on one, i'll wait a little longer with a holdover desktop if i have to. ;-)

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
vix....... I hear ya man. These dudes need to get with it, The PC world is leaps and bounds ahead with their laptops and their $3000 machines smoke the $3200 PB800. I am ready to give Apple as much as $4110 for a laptop with options/more RAM etc... But they just aren't giving me a reason to do so yet! I too may just go and get a second hand Duel 800 or something and a nice 22" used monitor of ebay.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
the new TiBooks will have to be soon, definitely before MWSF.

oh well, the later release of new TiBooks = more time for me to save money = i'll be able to get a better TiBook when they are released!:D

at least i'm not too desprate for new TiBooks.

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
Originally posted by Jeffx342
Damn, wtf is apple taking so long to release the tibook

and it better be WORTH THE WAIT

...EXACTLY!!!
What's the problem Apple??? What are they waiting for??? No one will buy one of their current models (especially not me!)
Get the update out and *zapp* here's my cash!!!

Sherman

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Berzerkeley
Okay, I am sick and tired of these crappy ass laptop specs apple has been throwing at us.

they need a GF4 'Go' 64 and a 166 bus at LEAST.

1Ghz G4. It's possible. ****.

Why doesn't apple just visit all these forums and see what the **** we want? We're the consumers. We're the ones buying this stuff..

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
what? no gf4. ati's radeon mobility 9000 blows it out of the water. it's the best out there now. i can assure you apple will put that in the powebook if they change it at all.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I think Apple had planned on releasing a new powerbook by now, but they saw that Sony got a DVD-R in a laptop, and they are waiting until they can do the same with the powerbook.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
do you mean DVD-RW? because i can read DVD's on my TiBook now...

but lets say it was a DVD-RW Sony got in a laptop? when did they do this? new TiBooks were expected by this week, so if Apple is trying to squeeze a DVD-RW in the TiBooks then i guess that would be an alright excuse for the late release.:)

who thinks they'll do it? personally, i think that Apple will just get the new models out there in November, and the DVD-RW wil come later.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.