Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g0gie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
I saw this on the powerpage website- one of the websites that got into court trouble with apple reguarding the asteroid thing a few months back. If they were right about that perhaps they are about this!!! HERES HOPING!!

Quote:
Weekend Update: PowerBook Updates Imminent; Intel PowerBook in Late 2006
18 September 2005 04:51 EST
Jason D. O'Grady
From the Hardware Dept.

ATHENS -- Quickee update from the Athens airport. We've received word over souvlaki that Apple is prepping an update to the PowerBook line that could arrive as soon as this week. Time and details are unconfirmed, but before you drip tzatziki sauce on your tie, the revs are nothing to send a postcard home about... looks like a typical Apple speed-bump: clock speed and a slight bump on RAM and HDDs.

In other news, a voice from the top of Mount Olympus whispered that the long-awaited Intel PowerBook _won't_ be shipping in time for Macworld Expo 2006 in January, but rather will come some time in "mid-to-late 2006."

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
gosh i wish a new line would come out
so i could afford an older one

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
what other rumors have O'Grady's been right about? what's their ratio of rights to wrongs?

g0gie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
not sure about their ratio of rights and wrongs, but they seem to be a very reliable/factual website. Mostly report on news news, instead of rumors so... yea... I predict that they will come out the tuesday right after the edu promotion ends

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
g0gie said:
not sure about their ratio of rights and wrongs, but they seem to be a very reliable/factual website. Mostly report on news news, instead of rumors so... yea... I predict that they will come out the tuesday right after the edu promotion ends

oh, you mean the ipod mini...

yeah, that would definitely make the most sense. i will wait to buy my 17" until then. suhweet!

adrian-cg

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2005
G5Unit said:
I want POWERMAC UPDATES!
Come on. Powermacs are still very competitive and, you know it's true, are in much less need for updates than the PB line.

On topic: If this were to happen, it'd own if the 15 incher got 128 VRAM standard.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...actually, I don't think they have a very good record as far as rumour accuracy goes....but nonetheless I hope there is an update for all those that are waiting...heck, if it was a really nice update I may even upgrade mine....oh yeah!

Mac Me Up

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2005
Australia
Let's just suppose that they do upgrade them in the next few days, and let's just suppose that I bought on today before the upgrade. Does Apple have any kind of policy on whether I can swap it for the new one or not? :confused:

I personally don't think that they will upgrade them, but I'm curious as to what would happen?

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Mac Me Up said:
Let's just suppose that they do upgrade them in the next few days, and let's just suppose that I bought on today before the upgrade. Does Apple have any kind of policy on whether I can swap it for the new one or not? :confused:

I personally don't think that they will upgrade them, but I'm curious as to what would happen?

lol, another guy asked that same question in the PowerMac update thread on the front page, and everyone jumped all over him. be careful!

no you can't swap it for a new one, but there is a good chance that you can get some money back due to the fact that they will lower their price on the previous powerbooks.

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
An awesome place
Mac Me Up said:

They will upgrade them soon. It is how it works. How soon? is the question. If you do not open it, they will exchange it without a problem. If it is Built to Order, they will not. You basically have 14 days from the time of purchase to exchange it, but if you open it, they charge a 10% restocking fee.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Hi everyone,

I came across something that I think is *very interesting.* Most of the Pbooks are on 24 hours shipping, but do this:

Go to BTO order, change anything and they go to only 1-3 days (which is standard for BTO).

However, try this: Add iWork or Logic 7 Pre-installed! It jumps to 6-8 days. What do I think this means? I think however the installation/building of these machines go they can no longer install iWork or Logic 7, on the machines. I think this *might* mean an update is prepping. However, not this week. I think we'll see it the week after the expo. This week I suspect we'll see Powermacs, and the Powerbooks will follow the next week.

Thoughts?

paperinacup

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2005
powerbook911 said:
Hi everyone,

I came across something that I think is *very interesting.* Most of the Pbooks are on 24 hours shipping, but do this:

Go to BTO order, change anything and they go to only 1-3 days (which is standard for BTO).

However, try this: Add iWork or Logic 7 Pre-installed! It jumps to 6-8 days. What do I think this means? I think however the installation/building of these machines go they can no longer install iWork or Logic 7, on the machines. I think this *might* mean an update is prepping. However, not this week. I think we'll see it the week after the expo. This week I suspect we'll see Powermacs, and the Powerbooks will follow the next week.

Thoughts?

Lol Thats quite a concept. But I do feel an update VERY soon.

macnvrbck

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2005
paperinacup said:
Lol Thats quite a concept. But I do feel an update VERY soon.

I wouldn't mind taking the current 12' PB for $1399 (edu discount) with the free Ipod Mini with rebate, sell the Ipod for $150 (average) on Ebay making my final cost $1249, all before any possible PB update.

This is probably a better deal than a new possible weak update maybe the next day after the rebate ends. (Buy before Saturday the 24th) A better deal at $1249 paying extra for a slight speed, RAM, HDD bump)

Any way I could finagle both a updated PB and the free Ipod if the updates are coming directly after the promo ends?

Or is his update just worth waiting for at a newer update maching still costing $1399. What will the 1.5s go for from Apple when an update comes?

northernleitz

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2005
Rural Alaska
Hey, it was about this time three years ago I ordered the Power Book I am writing this on. I wanted an 800 or so megahertz model with 60 gigabyte hard drive, combo drive, and a gigabyte of RAM. It was taking Apple forever to ship that thing. Then they e-mailed me and asked if I'd be happy with the computer I wanted for something like $700 less, or would I rather have the 1.0 GHZ model with superdrive at substantial savings (and free double the RAM). Glad I went large. Three years later, no real need to update to another computer... though I would like to get an iMac G5 for a stay-at-home computer and use this one for traveling.

Er, so the point is, if you have an order in, Apple's warehouses are low on the current model, and an update is imminent, they might just get you the updated version.

justkeith

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2005
powerbook911 said:
Hi everyone,

Thoughts?

I think that the s/ware is not actually pre-installed

different Apple products are dispatched from various (global) locations - the PBooks and the s/ware are in different places

the different components of the order have to 'meet' en route to delivery so that the customers receives their entire order simultaneously

... hence the delay ...

try ordering the hardware / software separately ...

Based on this, it would seem that the shipping times are quite normal. Ergo, this is no indication of imminent updates

On the other hand Apple Refurb UK has extended opening times until October (normally open just 1 day per week) ... this sometimes means new models coming ... and the 'current' 15 & 17 powerbook models are available at 20% less than usual

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.