Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eastend

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2004
Nara, Japan
Hope it is all true and he was not just joking. Mount Olympus whispering voices and the Greek word Souvlaki (was his stomach talking to him at the airport or was it a God?), think that's kind of a Greek Hamburger or something, but it brings mystical ramifications also. So was it a joke or was it serious?

Brian

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
So it looks like there might actually be PowerBook updates soon, contrary to what ThinkSecret said.

Sucks, though, that we won't get a real PowerBook until mid-late 2006. Can't wait to see what Apple will surprise us with. My guess would be a completely new system at WWDC 2006, as I've stated before.

Euan

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2005
UK
I'd like to think that this will be the case... but something makes me think that there will be no updates. Mmmmmm.

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
macnvrbck said:
I wouldn't mind taking the current 12' PB for $1399 (edu discount) with the free Ipod Mini with rebate, sell the Ipod for $150 (average) on Ebay making my final cost $1249, all before any possible PB update.

This is probably a better deal than a new possible weak update maybe the next day after the rebate ends. (Buy before Saturday the 24th) A better deal at $1249 paying extra for a slight speed, RAM, HDD bump)

Any way I could finagle both a updated PB and the free Ipod if the updates are coming directly after the promo ends?

Or is his update just worth waiting for at a newer update maching still costing $1399. What will the 1.5s go for from Apple when an update comes?

I would have shot myself if I'd jumped, and bought my iBook within a month before the latest update.

You can't really look at price for a comparison, but the VALUE gained with the last somewhat maligned iBook update was outstanding.

I would assume the PowerBooks will get a similar treatment, with the 12" models gaining the most in the process.

You will almost assuredly see price drops along with a bigger hard drive, a MUCH better video card, faster/more ram, perhaps DL superdrive, and maybe even some brand new features.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
I think they might just reorganise the Powerbook lineup. Drop the combo drive versions and have the superdrive standard across the line, then reduce the prices to nearer those of the combodrive versions. I think it's unacceptable for Apple to be selling a computer at that price with just a CDRW drive in todays market.

Loke

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2005
Norway
Hi everyone,

I came across something that I think is *very interesting.* Most of the Pbooks are on 24 hours shipping, but do this:

Go to BTO order, change anything and they go to only 1-3 days (which is standard for BTO).

However, try this: Add something to your basket. It doesnt really matter what it is. Then you strip yourself naked, while running around the room yelling "Hello, Dolly!" And finally, throw yourself *hard* into a wall, preferably with the head first. Seeing stars? Good. Now look at the screen again. The shipping time is all over the place! And it even looks like they will ship it to you twice, at least from what I can tell underneat all these stars... What do I think this means?

a.k.a. Melvin

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2005
Studio City, CA
to update or not to update

I have been waiting for the Powerbook Update since July. Everyone seems to have conflicting views... ThinkSecret, Mac OS Rumors, O'Grady's...

My feeling is that it's gonna happen simply because Apple ordered all those new 7448 G4 chips. They gotta put 'em in SOMETHING!!!

Mel

p.s. Souvlaki is a Greek sandwich made with spiced, grilled lamb (cubed), tzatziki sauce (yogurt, cucumber, paprika, garlic) and placed in a pita. It usually has tomato, onion and such added. It is SUPER YUMMY!!!

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Loke said:
Hi everyone,

I came across something that I think is *very interesting.* Most of the Pbooks are on 24 hours shipping, but do this:

Go to BTO order, change anything and they go to only 1-3 days (which is standard for BTO).

However, try this: Add something to your basket. It doesnt really matter what it is. Then you strip yourself naked, while running around the room yelling "Hello, Dolly!" And finally, throw yourself *hard* into a wall, preferably with the head first. Seeing stars? Good. Now look at the screen again. The shipping time is all over the place! And it even looks like they will ship it to you twice, at least from what I can tell underneat all these stars... What do I think this means?

That doesn't mean anything. That is a side effect of hitting the wall.

However, adding iWork... :)

Ino

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2005
powerbook911 said:
Hi everyone,

However, try this: Add iWork or Logic 7 Pre-installed! It jumps to 6-8 days. What do I think this means? I think however the installation/building of these machines go they can no longer install iWork or Logic 7, on the machines. I think this *might* mean an update is prepping. However, not this week. I think we'll see it the week after the expo. This week I suspect we'll see Powermacs, and the Powerbooks will follow the next week.

Thoughts?

Hm...right now in the U.S. stores iBooks actually have longer ship times (1-3 days)...top of the line PMs are at 2-4 days....everything else is within 24 hours, except the 12" PB with SuperDrive...

paperinacup

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2005
Ino said:
Hm...right now in the U.S. stores iBooks actually have longer ship times (1-3 days)...top of the line PMs are at 2-4 days....everything else is within 24 hours, except the 12" PB with SuperDrive...

WOAH what if the iBooks will not be updated but they started making them in BLACK!!!! :eek:

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Ino said:

Yes, i know that. You must have not read my entire post.

Take the 15-inch Powerbooks and add Logic 7 or iWork 05 pre-installed. It jumps to 6-8 days.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I know, if anything, Apple should see, from these forums, that people want Powerbook updates no matter how small. We *need* them. ha-ha. :)

What will be the next thing people will be waiting on? Oh, Powerbooks again...

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Rumour sound on the money given TS view.

Now I wonder how long it took Steve to see the black ipod nano sales and go, maybe we need a black iBook sometime soon :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.