Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Originally posted by JSRockit
They have to update the TiBook and iBook soon...if they wait til January...Apple will have to have MAJOR updates...not just speed bumps.

Ok, back on topic.:D

Anyway, that's sorta what some people are hinting at...that announcing products at an expo...sorta implies a major change. But then again, it was 8 months between powermac updates...and nothing major happened. The same could be true for the powerbooks and ibooks.;)

I'm guessin' iBooks will be updated before the holidays...just a random guess:D

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Basically...I meant there will be speed bumps soon...or Apple will wait and make new designs....but of course...I'm just speculating.

formasfunction

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2002
if macosrumors.com is right about apple starting a new milling process for the titanium that will stop paint chips and scratches, and might even allow for lazer engraving, then it seems that strategically, from a production stand point, this would be the most opportune time to remodel if the type of production is changing anyway. It also makes sense that apple is making an extra push (added educational discounts which aren't typical for a regular speed bump) if they are remodeling the TiBook so that they can flush out stores of the old frame which would otherwise still be useful if only a speed bump was in store.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Originally posted by formasfunction
if macosrumors.com is right about apple starting a new milling process for the titanium that will stop paint chips and scratches, and might even allow for lazer engraving, then it seems that strategically, from a production stand point, this would be the most opportune time to remodel if the type of production is changing anyway.

I sure hope they're right...not that I mind chipping paint. When I buy a pb, it'll be well used, and have lots of scratches. Thats my style;) But that'll be important for others.

As for the educational discounts an attempt to flush inventory...wouldn't it be easier to empty inventory by offering discounts to everyone?

I put off buying a new powerbook for fall semester...better not make me wait until jan for a minor speed bump! Gimme more!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.