Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Re: Re: Did I read something different?

Originally posted by impierced

Apple would never bump their laptops and then in 60 days release all new PowerBooks that would replace the existing PowerBook G4 Ti lineup.

Why not? They did it with the iBooks a year ago (more or less). They did a speed bump about this time of year, then at MWSF they released a revision to the line, including another speed bump and a larger screen. Is is so unbelievable that they'd do that here too?

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Re: Re: Re: Did I read something different?

Originally posted by Snowy_River

Why not? They did it with the iBooks a year ago (more or less). They did a speed bump about this time of year, then at MWSF they released a revision to the line, including another speed bump and a larger screen. Is is so unbelievable that they'd do that here too?

Well, yea. As someone else mentioned somewhere Apple would have to have these speed bumps ready to be released, then only do about a month's production, then stop and begin production on the new rev as well as clear inventory of the bump they just released.

A lot of work in 2 months and not very wise in a recession.

bkassing

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
it's hot baby

I find the complaints about the powerbook being hot interesting as it seems as if people think it is just a powerbook problem. I have a Dell Inspiron that torches my lap if I use it as a laptop. I never find it a problem because I don't use it on my lap and don't anticpate doing so. So who cares if it is hot? I don't see why that's an issue.

Where I do see it as an issue is if it so hot inside it'll fry something in there.

Notebooks are hot. That's the way it is.

impierced

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Did I read something different?

Originally posted by Snowy_River

Your facts are a little jumbled.

Apple did a speed bump about this time last year, yes. October 16, 2001 they bumped the 12.1" iBook to 500 & 600 MHz (before it was only available at 500 MHz).

Then about two months later on January 7, 2002 they did indeed release a revision to the line, the 14.1" iBook. However, neither the 12.1", nor the 14.1" included any speed bumps, they remained at the 500 & 600 MHz offerings. There were no other additions to the iBook line besides offering a larger screen version.

It wasn't until May 20, 2002 that Apple did the additional speed bump you're referring to. Then they offered the line at 600 & 700 MHz. You'll also notice that it took a whole 7 months for the iBook line to receive the additional 100 MHz bump.

pejobass

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2002
I just saw that at MacwareHouse their special offers on the TI end on 11/9. does it mean that we have to wait until next week? :eek:

nickmcghie

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
UCLA
Re: My projection

Originally posted by bignumbers
Tomorrow, Apple will announce a quad-processor, 2GHz PowerBook G5. However it is not expected to ship until March of 2006.

Apple will be stuck at 2Ghz in 2006!?!? Oh no!! Thats defintely not good. By then, Intel will probably be at well over 10Ghz! :)

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
Just think, it would take a year and a half for Apple to reach 3ghz if they were to bump the speeds by 100mhz every month. Apple bumps up the speed of their macs every 6-9 months. I don't think anyone should hold their breath for Ghz parity with Intel chips. The best we will get for a while will be the new IBM chips, but that will only help Powermacs the first year it comes out. The iBooks will stay with G3's for at least one more year, the iMac will stay with G4's, and we will be farther and farther behind the competition. Now that Apple has given us all these iApps to ad value to their systems, what do they have up their sleeves to ad value to Macs this comming year? Who knows, I just hope we don't need fast Macs for anything, even games, for the forseeable future.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

There is NO WAY Apple would release a new TiBook, then totally revamp the product 2 months later. It looks like we'll be getting new iBooks with 800 MHz G3s and price cuts on all the notebooks. And I hope 32 MB video cards (but I doubt it). Apple has done this before, both 'Books had the same clock speed (500 G3 and 500 G4) and the same 8 MB video card. Then the TiBooks will be majorly overhauled at MWSF and iBooks could get a 1 GHz G3 at MW Tokyo (and better video card if it wasn't updated before).

Or the TiBooks get updated along with the iBooks in the next couple of days, but just get a speed bump (and maybe a Radeon 9000). Superdrive probably later. And probably same form factor. Anyone who thinks that Apple will release a new product, then completely revamp it just a couple of months later really is dreaming. It would be nice people, but it ain't never gonna happen.

Try not to be too disappointed.

Marzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2002
The Desert
Re: it's hot baby

Originally posted by bkassing
I find the complaints about the powerbook being hot interesting as it seems as if people think it is just a powerbook problem. I have a Dell Inspiron that torches my lap if I use it as a laptop. I never find it a problem because I don't use it on my lap and don't anticpate doing so. So who cares if it is hot? I don't see why that's an issue.
Notebooks are hot. That's the way it is.

I don't mind the heat that much, what I do mind is the fan noise that sounds like a hair dryer.....especially while using digital audio apps.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Someone mentioned that Apple discounted a load of PBs to get them out of inventory. Those might be the ones trickling into the channel.

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
ready?

Okay everyone, here is exactly what is going to happen:

EVERYONE is going to be disappointed.

(including me. i want a smaller iBook. Hmph. =)

Upright Joe

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2002
Why not?

I still don't see the issue with believing a speed bump might be coming tomorrow because of the MWSF rumors.

Releasing a processor speed bump is a couple of months before a major revision is no big deal. You can use all the same hardware that you've been using. It's not like working in a new graphics adaptor, a faster bus, or a new screen. You can just shove in the new processor instead of the old one.

I'm assuming of course that the TiBooks either use a daugher card to set the clock multiplier or support the clock multiplier required for faster G4's right on the board. I can't imagine that a board redesign would be required for this bump.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
The reason is as stated above a few times by myself and others.

Apple would have to have production going on these PBs to have enough to fill orders. Then they'd have to stop production and begin production on the new PBs which are rumored to sport a new enclosure. They'd only have 2 months to clear ALL the inventory of all the PBs they release tomorrow presummably.

Bottom line, if new PBs tomorrow, even if only speed bumps then no new PBs until at least March/May. There's no way Apple would have 2 production runs in 2 months on the same item, especailly during a recession.

Upright Joe

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2002
Works for me.

I have no problems believing that the new ones after this release won't be out until March or May.

I do have trouble believing that we will see a $1000 iBook with a faster processor than a $2300 powerbook though. Aside from AltiVec there is no performance difference between G3's and G4's. I'd have to guess that a few hundred MHz advantage given to a G3 would make it fairly competitive against a G4.

We'll have to wait until tomorrow but I'm fairly convinced we'll see a speed bump in the TiBooks. I would kill for a SuperDrive, and I don't think it's out of the question but I'm not expecting it tomorrow...

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
i should try to use this as an excuse to skip school. good thing there are internet computers at school... i am so anxious i can't even think about my college applications, not to mention my bloody homework!

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
Re: Whoaa there!!

Originally posted by orion
New Ti with 1Ghz AND a SUPERDRIVE!!! Only problem, $2999!!

That's still less than the price for the basic model in Europe. But they did lower the prices, I suppose I should be happy about that.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
ok, this is a stretch...but wouldn't it be nice to see something new to the laptops in mwsf?

i know for sure there will be new software and new desktop improvements for this coming january and i am looking forward to it

but apple needs to catch up in the worst way and frequent improvements are the way to go

bump speed up more frequently, get ddr in tibook, get g4 in ibook, constantly lower prices

that is what dell is doing...i just got a big flyer in the mail from dell and they are upping their stats yet again and using cheaper prices

if pentium 4 machines get any cheaper than $499 us, there won't ever be any need for an intel celeron

the mobile athlon/athlon xp systems have come so far down in price i don't see the mobile duron chip anywhere

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I agree that it would be nice, however Dell's is an impossible model to hold Apple up to for competition. Dell's supply chain management is probably the most sophisticated of any large scale manufacturing company. They have minimal amount of supply on hand at any time, and require many suppliers/partners to locate near them. With its various channels Apple could never match such performance (much as I'd like to see it happen).

TM

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
I am perfectly happy to pay Apple a premium for their products, I think with as small as their maket share is, that has to be expected. However, I am willing to pay that premium for a top product. For example:

If I have to pay $4000 for a lap top vs $3000 and get all of the lastest and greatest hardware (which this PB has a lot of, but by no means all - note the 4200RPM Drive, and lack of a faster bus etc..), I am willing to do this.

I don't care about $1000 wintel crap, I have no intention to buy it, but if I'm gonna pay a lot, I want a lot. Apple tends to deliver this, and this is why they'll be around a long time.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I'm wondering if the rumor of no new tipb until MWSF03 is part of an Apple Anti-rumor division, to aid in keeping things as confusing as possible until they actually get something out the door.

Its not all that paranoid, is it?

D :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.