Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
The reason apple is waiting to announce these new powerbooks is that they have to come up with a name for the 7457. :D

How about G4.5? :D

Seriously, though, I think we will see a G5 in the new Powerbooks.

My predictions:

12" Powerbook:

1 GHz G5
everything else the same as now

15" Powerbook:

1.4 GHz G5
Airport Extreme
Bluetooth built in
Lit keyboard

17" Powerbook:

1.4 GHz G5
everything else the same
(possibly this new rumor about built in video cameras in 15" and 17")

At the same time, I also think iBooks will move to G4, or G3 Gobi.

And remember, His Steveness said the year of the portable , not the year of the laptop, so we always might get the iNewton....

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Let's return the favor

If we were all mean, we could play Apple's card and all buy wintel laptops since apple can't update theirs, then they lose money and don't clear all the outdated inventory. I'll use my Tibook 667 non-dvi for a while longer just so I won't play into Apples hands and spend $3000 on a 7-9 month old computer.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by vniow
**Sigh**

When your chips are behind the competition in a lot of ways, yes it does.

http://anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.html?i=1800

Great. Wonderful. I don't care what Intel is at. Why? It still doesn't run OSX. Call me whatever you want, a zealot, a fanatic. Fine. I still don't give a fat flying one about how fast Intel's chips are.

Do I really need 2.4Ghz or a 1.6Ghz chip to type and send the occasional email and/or essay? Do I need 2.4Ghz to sync my iPod? Do I need 1.6Ghz to watch a DVD? Do I need 2.4Ghz to code HTML in BBEdit? I think not. Isn't the main purpose of a laptop portability first, speed and tech second?

The only reason why I posted that is because wizard said that if the new Powerbooks were less than 1.6Ghz they weren't going to be viable contenders with the Wintel world, a claim I disagree with.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
Originally posted by shecky
sounds like.............and is indeed RISD.

haha yeah my friend she is in GD now and had tyo buy the laptop but the store was out so she did not get hers. i was in illustration so we had no need to buy one. but now all the design major have to have one right? i wonder if spikes is still on thayer? i am in the mood for a late night hot dog... :D

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
<---eats a Sinatra dog for bokdol

of course Spike's is still there :)

all the GD majors hafta buy the spec'd powerbook as mentioned above. RISD does offer a fairly attractive package to the students who are new/unfamilair with Apple, but since i am an older student, already own all the software they provide in the package, already know the products inside out, already have renter's insurance that covers the laptop anyway, and am in the loop to know and care about a new product, i am not going to take part in thier laptop program.

The RISD package is:

-15" TiBook Superdrive/512MB/60GB
-Applecare
-Spare battery
-3 yr insurance
-Adobe Design collection + 24 month upgrades
-Flash MX + 24 month upgrades
-Norton AV
-Toast
-Font Folio
-Font Agent

all for $3428 (the laptop, applecare, case, and spare battery are $2278)

like i said, not a bad deal. my biggest issue is paying for software i already own. also they only install the software, they do NOT give you the CD's of the programs. big problem when you need to do an emergency installation of something at 3 AM.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by job
Great. Wonderful. I don't care what Intel is at. Why? It still doesn't run OSX. Call me whatever you want, a zealot, a fanatic. Fine. I still don't give a fat flying one about how fast Intel's chips are.

I do because it encourges competition. If Intel creates a faster chip that gets better battery life than the G4 and gets them at a lower price then I sure as hell care what Apple's going to put out as a competitor.

Do I really need 2.4Ghz or a 1.6Ghz chip to type and send the occasional email and/or essay? Do I need 2.4Ghz to sync my iPod? Do I need 1.6Ghz to watch a DVD? Do I need 2.4Ghz to code HTML in BBEdit? I think not. Isn't the main purpose of a laptop portability first, speed and tech second?

Do I really need a 2.4ghz to edit 720x480 video?
Do I really need 1.6Ghz to work with a RAW file in Photoshop?

As long as the notion that the average consumer will never need more then X amount of speed then what's the point of making things faster?

The only reason why I posted that is because wizard said that if the new Powerbooks were less than 1.6Ghz they weren't going to be viable contenders with the Wintel world, a claim I disagree with.

They were at the beginning of the year but now that Centrino has been released, they have some catching up to do...

I'm waiting for this update because I don't want to plunk down a large amount of ca$h on an outdated piece of machinery, only to have it updated with in a month or a week or whatever.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
I do because it encourges competition. If Intel creates a faster chip that gets better battery life than the G4 and gets them at a lower price then I sure as hell care what Apple's going to put out as a competitor.

Apple doesn't make the chips as you well know. If Moto can't deliver and IBM needs more time for a die shrink, then it looks like we will be stuck with the G4 laptops running close to the current speeds for some time to come. Apple isn't the weak link here. Apple can only put out what they are capable of.

Do I really need a 2.4ghz to edit 720x480 video?
Do I really need 1.6Ghz to work with a RAW file in Photoshop?

Maybe, maybe not. In either case it's none of my concern. Each user here has their own opinion as to what their own personal machine ought to do.

As long as the notion that the average consumer will never need more then X amount of speed then what's the point of making things faster?

What's the point for making computers and chips faster? For those that actually need it. I don't and thus would be fully satisfied with a 1.1Ghz 12" Powerbook with a Combo drive at $1399. Again, points like these are relative.

I'm waiting for this update because I don't want to plunk down a large amount of ca$h on an outdated piece of machinery, only to have it updated with in a month or a week or whatever.

No one here is forcing you to buy anything. Unless you absolutely need a Powerbook by tomorrow, it's your choice as to when to buy a Powerbook. It's your money and you are obviously free to do what you want with it.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by job
Apple doesn't make the chips as you well know. If Moto can't deliver and IBM needs more time for a die shrink, then it looks like we will be stuck with the G4 laptops running close to the current speeds for some time to come. Apple isn't the weak link here. Apple can only put out what they are capable of.

Intel doesn't make notebooks either but they're still in competition with Apple because they're trying to get to the same consumer, the potential notebook purchacer and that's why i care what's going on over at Intel,

Maybe, maybe not. In either case it's none of my concern. Each user here has their own opinion as to what their own personal machine ought to do.

It may not be any of your concern but for some of us, its a big deal how fast our computers are.

No one here is forcing you to buy anything. Unless you absolutely need a Powerbook by tomorrow, it's your choice as to when to buy a Powerbook. It's your money and you are obviously free to do what you want with it.

You're right, it is my money but I'm going to make the most of it as I can so that's why I'm a bit pissed that the updates are taking so goddamn long.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
Originally posted by shecky
<---eats a Sinatra dog for bokdol
of course Spike's is still there :)
it was the texas ranger for me. the bacon and bbq sauce...

i thought they gave the cd's. oh man thqt sucks.

thank god my friend never bought one. if it came with all the cd's it was a great deal. she is now going to be a junior. when she was suppose to the could not get any at the risd store...

oh and one of those sandwiches for geoffs would be good now too. the only thing i really remember fro provy is the food. oops and a few teachers.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Comparisons to Intel/AMD/"PC" laptops is necessary for progression. If speed doesn't matter to you, then you should be happy with an 8 year old Mac, or a Pentium 133MHz. Something you feel is excessive or unnecessary can be very necessary for someone else.

@Job: if you don't need a new Powerbook, then congratulations. But why do you need to criticise someone elses need for speed in a thread concerning new PowerBooks? If a Wintel laptop can do something 2 times faster than a Mac laptop when editing video or something, then the comparisons DO matter to those who need to buy a laptop and want a Powerbook. If speed is necessary, and an Apple 15" is just too slow for what you do, then some people may have to go with the alternative, unfortunately, like a Wintel laptop, or an Intel laptop with Linux loaded.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by Abstract
But why do you need to criticise someone elses need for speed in a thread concerning new PowerBooks?

I'm not criticising wizard's need for speed.

I'm criticising his claim that if the Powerbooks don't hit 1.6Ghz by the next revision they will no longer be in contention with the Wintel world. After I stated my issue with his claim, we went off on the tangents.

It is that assumption/claim that I have an issue with.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
It may not be any of your concern but for some of us, its a big deal how fast our computers are.

Sure it is. I'm not saying speed doesn't matter. I understand that pro users need the bleeding edge technology. But I still don't agree with the statement that if the Powerbooks don't hit 1.6Ghz by their next revision that they will no longer be in contention with the Wintel world. We've had 2.4Ghz Wintel notebooks for quite a while, yet we Mac users were content with buying a 1Ghz 17".

You're right, it is my money but I'm going to make the most of it as I can so that's why I'm a bit pissed that the updates are taking so goddamn long.

Why are you pissed? The more time you have the more money you can save. :p ;)

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit

Originally posted by me
What's the point for making computers and chips faster? For those that actually need it. I don't and thus would be fully satisfied with a 1.1Ghz 12" Powerbook with a Combo drive at $1399. Again, points like these are relative.

I agree with you vniow. It just seems I haven't made it that clear yet. What may be fine for me obviously isn't for the majority of the users here.

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
Brooklyn - NYC
Originally posted by zap23

Seriously, though, I think we will see a G5 in the new Powerbooks.

My predictions:

12" Powerbook:

1 GHz G5
everything else the same as now

15" Powerbook:

1.4 GHz G5
Airport Extreme
Bluetooth built in
Lit keyboard

17" Powerbook:

1.4 GHz G5
everything else the same
(possibly this new rumor about built in video cameras in 15" and 17")

Are you kidding? I suppose the processors will be cooled by liquid nitrogen...

anyone expecting a G5 in a laptop before late next year is going to be sorely disappointed.

I mean honestly, the desktop has NINE FREAKIN FANS! NINE!!!!

ooartist

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2002
Spring Hill, TN
What is current is enough for me...

... sold an upgraded PowerMac G4 1.2Ghz(Quicksilver 2002) for $1200 bucks on eBay. Went to CompUSA they were having a 18 months same as cash deal on their Macs. I could not resist. I have been lusting for the Titanium books since they came out. I bought the fully loaded 15(2499 + free laptop case). I got it home and I am in love with it. Sure it is not the newest but it is just as fast as the PowerMac that I sold plus it has a SuperDrive!

For me it is different I just wanted something portable that was as good as my old PowerMac. This new TiBook does everything I need.

Call me crazy but if the current TiBook can meet your needs then you are stupid not to take the great prices/financing deals that are out there. Then again if your not in a hurry then wait for about a 10% - 20% increase in performance.

My useless 2 cents. I think all I did was ramble. I need more coffee.

ooartist

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I wonder how many people will go insane over the PowerBook 15 if it ends up being a similar feature enhancement like the eMac got -- while keeping OS 9 alive for yet another generation.

And I don't mean crazy with joy, but stark raving looney.

Obviously Apple's been doing some strange stuff lately with regards to OS 9.

Remember the eMac showed Apple can add some of the current features to the SDR chipset, and keep OS 9 chugging along. And the TiBook is running the same chipset as the eMac -- so Bluetooth and Airport Extreme aren't too big a stretch for a TiBook. ;)

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Re: Let's return the favor

Originally posted by AHDuke99
If we were all mean, we could play Apple's card and all buy wintel laptops since apple can't update theirs, then they lose money and don't clear all the outdated inventory. I'll use my Tibook 667 non-dvi for a while longer just so I won't play into Apples hands and spend $3000 on a 7-9 month old computer.

We certainly don't need to buy wintel laptops. That wouldn't hurt Apple. Just keep using your 667, as I will keep using my 500, until some compelling update comes out.

If you need a notebook, don't spend $3K on a 7-9 month old computer - spend $1K on a used machine that's nearly as good. MacResQ has some very nice used PowerBooks for a little over $1K.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
It is my contention that the current Apple hardware is not comptitive with the latest Intel hardware. This is not a crime on Apples part but is something to be aware of if your open meinded and consider all of your computing options.

It is true that OS/X is a very strong reason to buy Apple hardware. However the great majority of Apples portable line is really not suitable for use with OS/X without additions to the hardware. I'm talking specifically memory here. an item that Apple has historically skimped on.

Yep I agree that portability is a primary concern for many users and with that battery lifetimes, which Apple has excelled at. If that is your primary concern, then given equal systems the next thing to look at is performance.

The bigger issue if Apple doesn't up the clock rate dramatically on the PowerBooks they won't even be able to run Apples own software in a reccomended manner. Just look at the latest requirements for iChat and other software. Yes for simple editing any of the current laptops will do, they won't do optimally for implementing some of the latest technology from Apple.

I'd like to get 4 to 5 years out of any laptop I purchase, at the rate that Apples software is advancing you will need a top end processor.

Dave

Originally posted by job

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
Originally posted by jbomber

anyone expecting a G5 in a laptop before late next year is going to be sorely disappointed.

What i forgot to say was that i don't think we will see any updates until the G5, which i think will come next january. I think that Apple does not want to rely on any new Motorola products.

Of course, you will all be laughing at me in september....

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
12 inch powerbook crippled

Why is the 12" powerbook unsatisfactory? If you want to play many of the latest games... that's easy.
Try reading the system requirements on the side of the box for unreal tournament 2003. It says any g4 above 700mhz will work... except for the 12" powerbook manufactured in 2003. (This is not a 'laptops just aren't made for games' issue... the 15" g4 and 17" g4 run UT2003 just fine)

I called macsoft for an explanation of exactly why... and was told it basically comes down to one thing... the lack of an L3 cache slows the system down so much... they were not able to achieve reasonable frame rates.
This... despite the fact that the processor speed and video card... in and of themselves... are just fine to run a game like UT2003.
Even Tiger Woods 2003 staggers on the 12" powerbook... (By the way, both games run like silk w/high detail on my g4 933 desktop)

Why Apple crippled one of the 'pro' model laptops by excluding an L3 cache is beyond me. I thought that was only something they would only do to the 'budget' ibook models.

But I also wonder WHY? How much does a 1mb cache cost apple anyway? It must be alot... or that fact that most people don't notice/bitch about it.

Even if Apple updates the powerbook to 1.1 ghz... if it doesn't have that L3 cache... I'll still be suspect of it's real performance abilities.

Rob S.

freundt

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2003
Seattle
Originally posted by jbomber

But those nine fans are not running at top speed.. To make an analogy - they are slowly rotating like a ceiling fan, not blowing like an A/C unit.

And we are talking about lower speed processors than the desktop models here too. While I do not think it is likely, I do think that it is not impossable, improbable yes - impossbile, no.

_f

[edit] the above post is a perfect example of creative spelling at it's finest. I Have left it in it's prisitne state for all to glorify in[/edit]

supercres

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
More college-type woes...

I'm afraid I'm another story of "can't wait any longer but really want an updated PB."

I have to head up to PA on Aug. 20th to start my IT advisor training (sweet work-study, IMO). Needless to say, I'd like to be able to show off a brand-spanking-new PB, but I can't if Apple doesn't pick up the pace. I think that the TiBook is my only option if the new 15" doesn't make a debut.

Oh yeah, and I'm having my wisdom teeth out the week before I leave. Having a new laptop by then would mean I'd get to surf the MacRumors forums while on the pain meds and muscle relaxers.

"Oooh... swirly colors..." ;)

Any other thoughts for poor ol' me? (Other than "quit yer bitchin," of course)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.