Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcmc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Hi there,

Several months ago I started a sizeable project to scan a considerable magazine collection. The reasons for this were twofold: so I could sell the physical originals which take up a lot of space and so I could have a searchable database of their content in PDF form stored on my iPad Pro.

I've been using Scanbot Pro for this project which theoretically does what I was looking for: it scans, runs an OCR pass on all the pages of an edition then uploads it all to my iCloud; however as my collection has grown i have come to realise their search engine is in no way near robust enough to handle the job. I've had a few back and forth with their tec support and they have basically confirmed this themselves.

So what I am looking for is a recommendation of an app, ideally an iOS one but if necessary a Mac one, which I can point my PDF collection at, it will OCR it as well as possible and give me the opportunity to search against the results.

All ideas welcome!

Thanks,

C.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.