Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Ok, this isn't to find out if I have a G5 wrapped somewhere in my house as a Xmas present.

I'm possibly going to go to the Apple store in Chicago and buy a quad - if they have it and if I have room in my car for the box. The thing is I'll be picking up my mother-in-law at midway and my wife and kid will be there too. So I need to know the dimensions of the box to know before hand if I'll be able to fit it in my Honda Element. If it goes in the back I can always pile luggage on top....

So anyone out there with a G5 box sitting around, if you could measure it that would be great :D

Thanks,

D

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I am at work and don't have the box with me, but the box did fit in the trunk of my Audi A4.

So I really don't think you will have any issue in the Element

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Just put ones of those folks on the roof or trunk;) Congrats I know you got to be excited. Could be the last of the PPC Powermacs. never know with Apple.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I brought my G5 home in the '81 Toyota Corolla I had at the time. Not exactly a large car. Of course I didn't have anyone else in the car, and it was sort of a tight squeeze, but you should have no problem with putting one in your Element.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Excellent, thanks guys - I'm going to go measure the space I have. The thing is, its winter, its chicago, so I can't even strap it to my roof :p

since the depth of the box is only 15 3/4" I'll be able to stand it up in the back and rearrange things if needed. We're also going to bring the Thule Luggage carrier since we're going to make our quarterly trip to Trader Joes and stock up. Needless to say the car is going to be packed :D

Now, all I have to worry about is convincing my wife that now is the time to buy the thing and if the Apple Store even has one of those in stock. We'll see :D

D

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Mr. Anderson said:
Excellent, thanks guys - I'm going to go measure the space I have. The thing is, its winter, its chicago, so I can't even strap it to my roof :p

since the depth of the box is only 15 3/4" I'll be able to stand it up in the back and rearrange things if needed. We're also going to bring the Thule Luggage carrier since we're going to make our quarterly trip to Trader Joes and stock up. Needless to say the car is going to be packed :D

Now, all I have to worry about is convincing my wife that now is the time to buy the thing and if the Apple Store even has one of those in stock. We'll see :D

D

I always thought it was weird when people tell me how lucky I am to have a Trader Joe's just down the street.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
iGary said:
I always thought it was weird when people tell me how lucky I am to have a Trader Joe's just down the street.

When we were living in Old Town Alexandria (DC) we were those people :D

Trader Joes was on the other side of King St. from us, on our street.

They need to get one in South Bend or Fort Wayne. Driving 2-3 hours one way isn't fun.

D

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
WHATEVER you do, DO NOT strap it to the roof, strap the clothes or the family to the roof :p

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
epepper9 said:
WHATEVER you do, DO NOT strap it to the roof, strap the clothes or the family to the roof :p

I'd have my wife drive and I'd ride on the roof before I'd put a new Quad G5 up there :D

D

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Mr. Anderson said:
I'd have my wife drive and I'd ride on the roof before I'd put a new Quad G5 up there :D

D

Pick me one up if you find you have extra room. :D

Either that, or just leave your wife at home. Tell her I said it was OK.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I'm not going to get one on Sunday - I'm going to get a BTO and wait until after MWSF - just in case there are some changes (doubtful - but I'd be quite annoyed if there was).

D

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
The dimensions given above could be larger than the new boxes. The 1.8Ghz were packaged in the boxes that weren't as slim as the new. If that (larger) size fits, you're all set!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Mr. Anderson said:
When we were living in Old Town Alexandria (DC) we were those people :D

Trader Joes was on the other side of King St. from us, on our street.

They need to get one in South Bend or Fort Wayne. Driving 2-3 hours one way isn't fun.

D

A friend of mine moved to Florida back in February. When she came back to this area to visit she flew in, but decided to drive home, so rented a van for the long trip back to Florida. Why? Well, one reason was so that she could load up with stuff from Trader Joe's. She misses it desperately!

OTB

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
On the Brink said:
A friend of mine moved to Florida back in February. When she came back to this area to visit she flew in, but decided to drive home, so rented a van for the long trip back to Florida. Why? Well, one reason was so that she could load up with stuff from Trader Joe's. She misses it desperately!

OTB

Whats Trader Joe's? Never heard of it before.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
NYmacAttack said:
Whats Trader Joe's? Never heard of it before.
http://www.traderjoes.com/

really good, cheap groceries.

They have a wide range of things, wine (in some stores), nuts, dairy, cheese, sauces (Thai, Indian, Italian, etc.), breads, frozen items.

Basically they're better than most other stores in many ways and they do carry a few things you might find elsewhere, but their own label usually is best.

D

tpjunkie

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
NYC
How much stuff have you got in that element? With the seats in the way back down, we can throw two kegs in the back of my buddy's element and have room to spare (and 5 if we put down the middle row of seats)...anyway enjoy the quad, we just got some at work and they're beasts

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
You're gonna have to put that quad in the front seat. with a massaging seat cover. And just think, if your wife divorces you for it and takes half of what you own, you still have 2 processors! :D :D :D

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
adk said:
You're gonna have to put that quad in the front seat. with a massaging seat cover. And just think, if your wife divorces you for it and takes half of what you own, you still have 2 processors! :D :D :D

The trouble is she might be real mean about it and slice each processor into half... :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
~Shard~ said:
Not to my knowledge, but someone please correct me if I am wrong....

No, its the same form factor - its just what's inside the box that counts :D

D

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Mr. Anderson said:
No, its the same form factor - its just what's inside the box that counts :D

D

Does it ever! Yeah, there's a slight performance difference between the dual core 2.0 GHz and the quad... not quite the same... :eek: ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.