Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

restiffbard

macrumors member
May 6, 2003
Virginia
I was thinking this

The original Mac was released on the 24th right? So, why not release a new Mac on the 24th of this year? If you're gonna have a birthday have it on the right date. OK, so the 24th is a Saturday, then the 26th.

I think the "year of the Mac" will run out like this:

in the next 3-4 months we'll see new consumer Mac updates or redesigns.

Sometime in the summer we'll be seeing the PowerMac edge up to the promised 3GHz.

Before the end of the year we'll see G5s in Powerbooks.

And before Christmas we'll see the iPod mini drop in price.

This seems terribly easy to believe and I know its very broadly stated but I think the best way to keep eyes on Apple for the 20th year is to not rest on one's laurels. If Apple keeps up a steady stream of new product announcements then everyone will be turning to Apple every other month or so.

You don't celebrate a big anniversary in one swift punch on one date. You drag it out and make the entire year a veritable party.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
I just read this article briefly highlighting whats coming from AMD and Intel this year. Does anyone know how these chips will stack up against IBM's development plans for the 970 & 980?

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/processorsmemory/0,39024015,39118905,00.htm

After a year that saw only a few desktop processor cores from Intel (Northwood and repackaged Gallatin) and AMD (Thoroughbred B, Barton, Sledgehammer and Clawhammer), 2004 looks set to be a busy year. For the moment, AMD has shrugged off its underdog status with its sensational Hammer cores (Athlon 64 and FX-51). To continue the momentum, AMD will be launching four new cores this year. These differ in terms of L2 (Level 2) cache sizes, different memory controllers (single and dual channel) and, of course, clock speeds.

Don't count Intel out yet, though. The chip giant's overdue Prescott will make an appearance early this quarter. Prescott will see its life covered by two generations of Intel chipsets and motherboards. It will originally begin life as a Socket 478 CPU supported by the current Springdale (i865) and Canterwood (i875) chipsets, and graduate to Socket 775 (also called Socket T) with the Grantsdale (successor to the i865) and Alderwood (successor to the i875) chipsets.

Towards the end of the year, Intel will also introduce its future core, Tejas. Rumour has it that Tejas will have a larger L1 (Level 1) cache size, more integral hyper-threading support, multiple cores and -- surprise, surprise -- 64-bit x86 instructions. In addition, Intel has pledged to continue its Extreme Edition line, so we can probably expect modified Prescott and Tejas cores as well.

Jason

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by j_maddison
I just read this article briefly highlighting whats coming from AMD and Intel this year. Does anyone know how these chips will stack up against IBM's development plans for the 970 & 980?

Jason

I think that the PPC 980 will blow everything out of the water. My Dual G5 already blows everything on its way ( I cant even imagine what more cache and more altivec units will do! :D ). Im pretty anxious to see it coming out!

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
Originally posted by stingerman
It's a G5 Mini and it will cost $100. :D

With apples current [ricing sceme, a g5 mini would have a clockspeed of 1.2 ghz and a price of $1,600

apple would at the same time anounce a normal g5 with starting speeds at 2.2 ghz for $1,800

:(

seriosly i hope this comes out to be true. If it does coincide with the 24th exectly it will have to be soemthing big. Bring it on apple!

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
The 24th is a Saturday - that's not good business policy to do a release on a weekend.

The timeframe makes sense. Let's just watch the "ship-time" on the Apple website in the next two weeks. Seems to be the best indicator.

mrsebastian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2002
sunny san diego
i don't know about the 24th being the day, but i expect we'll get g5 updates before the month is over. we'll probably see a 2.5g update now and 3g in the summer.

pkradd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2001
In his Keynote SJ referred to this as an "anniversary year" so I'd expect, as he said, new products coming thoroughout 2004 and not just at MW or WWDC. Special events will certainly come along.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
The 20th is a Tuesday - that's the day for new releases :D

I hope they redo the displays and offer better prices. I'd love to order one of the new G5s.

D

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
The PM will be updated as soon as IBM delivers sufficient volume of the 90 nm chips and inventory is brought down a bit. Steve J wants speed, speed and more speed and will not stay with the old Moto schedule. The introduction of the Dual 1.8 is a good indication that Apple will push enhancements as soon as they are available.

The market that really needs attention now is the consumer market and I think that there will be a new G5 iMac awaiting the 90 nm chips. The iMac now has a glaring problem with its G4 chip and a lot of people, me included, are keeping their credit card in their wallet until the G5 comes out. It is also the perfect product to use for the main Anniversary announcement as the original Mac was, in main part, a consumer product.

My credit card is ready - I just hope that Apple is!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
A 2.0 GHz G5 iMac would certainly shake things up a bit....but I'm really hoping for a nice big bump for the dual systems. :D

That and dual monitors.......

D

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Originally posted by kenaustus
The PM will be updated as soon as IBM delivers sufficient volume of the 90 nm chips and inventory is brought down a bit. Steve J wants speed, speed and more speed and will not stay with the old Moto schedule. The introduction of the Dual 1.8 is a good indication that Apple will push enhancements as soon as they are available.

The market that really needs attention now is the consumer market and I think that there will be a new G5 iMac awaiting the 90 nm chips. The iMac now has a glaring problem with its G4 chip and a lot of people, me included, are keeping their credit card in their wallet until the G5 comes out. It is also the perfect product to use for the main Anniversary announcement as the original Mac was, in main part, a consumer product.

My credit card is ready - I just hope that Apple is!
I like you am waiting, holding on to see what happens. I really love the Imac but iam not going to make due with a subpar bus, cpu and video chip. I might sprang for a new powermac if the base unit is 2.0 G5 or better but would rather have a new imac if they give it the 2.0 G5 and something better then Fx5200. A single 2.0 g5 and say ati 9600 would make a very nice game machine and can do anything i need. my wife wants my machine i have now so that means another monitor or the imac, Remember the patent Apple got on color changing? Patience is the key.I still wonder what a new G5 imac or new product would look like. still like this concept.

Attachments

• imac?.jpg
    imac?.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 21,036

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I am also looking forward to the upgrade of the Power Mac G5. Apple has been making releases on days other than Tuesday. So if it's not the 20th then they just might go against normal practice and announce on the 24th. The 24th would be my pick, because it is the actual anniversay date. It always annoys me when aniversarys are celebrated on another date.

jihad the movie

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2003
Smugtown, NY
Well

Even I am not taking this information seriously, but here is what I heard.

My friend Jared from school has a friend that works at the Apple Store in Buffalo (NY) Anyways, Jared always tells me products Apple will release in the near future, based on what he hears from his friend at the store. Namely the iSight, 20 inch Flat Panel, eMac, FCPE 2, 12 inch PowerBook and more recently the 10gig iPod moving up to 15. He has only been wrong a couple times, but even then he was one revision off (G4 iBooks). So he has been fairly accurate with rumors, I would say. Yesterday he told me that on the 20th, Apple would release a new machine sporting a G5 processor, and yes a cube shaped computer is in the Apple pipeline somewhere. He said that either one machine would have a G5 and another be a cube, or it would be a G5 cube.

So whatever, take that however you want. I personally don't picture Apple rereleasing a cube after all the hoopola around the first one. But yeah, I think another G5 processor is in the works for Apple to sell us.

ryan

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2002
Denver, CO
Apple store employees have no inside knowledge of future Apple products beyond what they read on the rumor sites. So your friend's, friend is getting their information from sites like this one and not some secret memo the employees get each week.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
yeah, i have to agree. Apple store reps don't know details any faster. They DO know that there are "200 sealed boxes with no markings that an iMac might fit inside." Inventory before a release is always interesting....

JoeRadar

macrumors regular
May 28, 2003
Re: Well

Originally posted by jihad the movie
and another be a cube, or it would be a G5 cube.
Just a random thought... In the PC world there is a niche market for LAN party PCs, and most of these are relatively compact cubes.

Maybe Apple will come out with a PowerPC FragBox.

JoeRadar

macrumors regular
May 28, 2003
Originally posted by carletonmusic
yeah, i have to agree. Apple store reps don't know details any faster.
Actually, I am pretty surprised at how little Apple store reps know about anything. Whenever I ask our local Apple store reps a question, they are almost always wrong. Apple needs to step up their training.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.