Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
Its been a while since I've updated this thread - so there's no time like the present. :)

I came across this pretty cool site that appears to have been created by a Mac fan and in addition to hosting MAME ROMs, they also have a page that details setting up a dedicated arcade cabinet that's powered by a Mac Mini and a PowerBook. It definitely makes for interesting reading. :)

31-inch_TV.jpg
MacMamescreen.jpg
portraitgame.jpg

Man, that guys site is GOLD for working MAME roms for MameOSX!!!

Thanks for linking to it!

:)

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2013
ENough of simple 2D games,

My PPC list.

EVO 2 4x4 - A fun offroad racing game
hqdefault.jpg

The Summoner - Adventure RPG with huge world and storyline, inventory, cities, woods, villages, magic etc. Play in Tiger in classic mode (not hack and slash!)
summoner-38823.jpg

Age of Empires 3/2 - Yeah, no introduction needed
maxresdefault.jpg

Warcraft 3 - Great strategy game
Warcraft-3-Reign-of-Chaos-Download-Free-Full-Version-PC-Crack-10.jpg

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 - It's cute, nice graphics and a lot of fun! Manage park, hire staff, perform maintenance, design and add rides into park, even ride them :)

economic-simulator3.jpg

Various emulators, for sega, nintendo, DOS, amiga/atari.

I have many more games for the PPC, (like starwars games, simulators, like x-plane or fly!, but this is the bulk of what I might play from time to time)

Reactions: MacFoxG4

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
ENough of simple 2D games,

Seriously? :confused:

It's not up to you to decide what kinds of games are mentioned in this thread - and it's pretty crass to deride them just because you dislike them. While 2D games might feel "simple" for you, they are often highly complex and are enjoyed by many others.

Don't be that person, please.

Moving on...

Is there a way to use MAME emulator or Retroarch on PPC mac?

I found this Reddit thread from 2020 regarding PPC Mac OS X Retroarch. It might give you some leads.

As for MAME, yeah - I've used it to play all of the coin-ops that have been mentioned in this thread. :)
https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macmame-0662-ppc
MacMAME for PowerPC.

MAME OS X

Both are way out of date but they can run many games. It would be nice to build a more recent version...

Reactions: Amethyst1

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Ha - will do but might be a while. Gonna back up my iBook today, wipe the hard drive and try installing T2 on it.

Yeah..tis like some sort of computing game.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Yay..got Orion burger working...though maybe I should change the screen resolution to get a full screen pic. Reading the guff on the game, it sounds like a spacey version of the movie 'ground hog day' which I thought was gonna be tedious, but each time the stuff you've done or collected is not required to be redone again. The only constant is a pink truck that drives thru the cute little village environment at the same time on each 'redo'.

Initiallyi just ran the game from the cd to see wot it was like but have now copied it to the HD.

So so far I've mainly wandered around the village finding stuff and talking to folks..with no idea of wot I should be doing..but I expect I'll find out at each intelligence test.

Last edited:

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Oh..there's more ( or should I say less?) to this game than I thought.
You find out wot the tests are going to be, then go back in time to hunt out objects to solve them...the tests being situations...with a blocking factor. It reminds me of a game way back which was mechanical problem solving.

Once you've picked up an object it automatically is added for the next 'redo' so you don't have to go getting it again

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
Seriously? :confused:

It's not up to you to decide what kinds of games are mentioned in this thread - and it's pretty crass to deride them just because you dislike them. While 2D games might feel "simple" for you, they are often highly complex and are enjoyed by many others.

Don't be that person, please.

lol, that "enough with x" is just a saying. There were a lot of 2D games posted, and they posted some 3D games.
It's pretty crass to assume they seriously wanted everyone to stop posting 2D games. 😂

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
Let them reply and speak for themselves. :)

You replied to a 3 months old post, the user wasn't online here since almost 3 months. It's unlikely they would reply here anytime soon.

But please, don't be that type of person that imputes the worst possible thing to someone. That really sickens me. Especially when it's just about fun and games.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
You replied to a 3 months old post...

Yes, within a thread of which I'm the OP and main contributor. ;)

...the user wasn't online here since almost 3 months. It's unlikely they would reply here anytime soon.

Then why did you feel the need to reply to me? Strange that you feel the need to argue about something that you have no stake in. Again, the poster is more than capable of speaking for themselves - they do not need you to be their spokesperson. Let them respond to me if they so wish.

But please, don't be that type of person that imputes the worst possible thing to someone. That really sickens me.

Behaviour that amounts to trolling sickens me more. Which is what you appear to be doing. Lots of time on your hands?

Especially when it's just about fun and games.

Unwittingly, you actually have a good point: suspected trolls should not be fed and I will not be replying to you any further. Find your fuel elsewhere.

Bye. :)

Reactions: repairedCheese

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Well ?! ..mean while back at the ranch: Orion Burger Adventures.

..sorta got stuck..been gathering up stuff but not getting to the next stage. However it maybe something not so much that I've got, but something I do. And I think I know wot it is.

Tis a sunny day here ..so will be outside more, than computing. (I mean in the real world.)

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Look what's arrived from Germany! :D

GTaMW7q.jpg

BYg2iuH.jpg

id43pqg.jpg

Yes, it's easily available for free if you know where to look and ages ago, I obtained a copy that way because of the crazy prices that the Mac version of Halo is usually listed for online but I found myself with an opportunity to snap up a legitimate copy that was boxed, in pretty good condition and included the game manual, for the better part of £10 GBP and I couldn't see any reason to hesitate. :)

CdlFcsd.jpg

jt98hKq.jpg

Expect further posts about this very soon. :D

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
g
Look what's arrived from Germany! :D

GTaMW7q.jpg

BYg2iuH.jpg

id43pqg.jpg

Yes, it's easily available for free if you know where to look and ages ago, I obtained a copy that way because of the crazy prices that the Mac version of Halo is usually listed for online but I found myself with an opportunity to snap up a legitimate copy that was boxed, in pretty good condition and included the game manual, for the better part of £10 GBP and I couldn't see any reason to hesitate. :)

CdlFcsd.jpg

jt98hKq.jpg

Expect further posts about this very soon. :D
gee short..if you go quiet (for days) on rumors..we'll know why.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.