Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay3197

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
You will get charged with you pick up the phone. But you don’t have to trade in the old phone yet. Take them both home, do your transfer, make sure you’re satisfied, then take your old phone to the store for trade-in. They will issue you a refund for the trade-in amount.

This is for Apple Store, of course. Not carrier stores.
Is this even if you don’t have a trade in attached to your order ?

The refund they issue, is it on an Apple gift card or can they refund the payment method used to purchase the new phone ?

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
Is this even if you don’t have a trade in attached to your order ?

The refund they issue, is it on an Apple gift card or can they refund the payment method used to purchase the new phone ?
this morning when I did mine they asked for the card I wanted it to be refunded to.

Reactions: Jay3197

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
You will get charged with you pick up the phone. But you don’t have to trade in the old phone yet. Take them both home, do your transfer, make sure you’re satisfied, then take your old phone to the store for trade-in. They will issue you a refund for the trade-in amount.

This is for Apple Store, of course. Not carrier stores.
I got done with mine today. I was charged several days ago, but they hadn't cleared yet. I did the trade-in in person the same day and got the trade-in amount refunded on my debit card.

HOTBOBA

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
Confirmed in store today since I wanted to bring the new phone home to ensure I was satisfied before trading my old phone in. Ordered my phone for pickup this morning and chose trade-in. You don't have to send it in. Within 14 days of purchase, you can bring the trade-in phone to the store and they'll credit your card. Outside of the return policy they will treat it as a regular trade-in and give you a gift card.

Appurushido

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
I had no idea you can trade it in at the Apple Store.

I always thought you had to ship it.

on a side note, is my 4 year old iPhone 11 even worth trading? I say its in great condition

I also have an iPhone 11 (Pro Max 256GB) in pristine condition, no scratches on phone or glass cracked and looks like it's right out of the box. I looked at trade in prices and expected a lowball offer. Apple will give me $300 for it, but with my carrier, ATT wireless, they are giving me $830 (value applied to my monthly bill) over 36 mos.

I would hold out one more year, since functionality hasn't changed much from the 11 > 15 in my use-case scenarios, but I would get a boost in battery length +6hrs and new battery since it is a 4yr old phone now and most likely hovering at around 60% or less maximum battery capacity which benefits me the most out of any new features of the last three generations.

Since I won't be changing carriers I will probably go through ATT. Was expecting at most around $400-$450ish from any place including ebay or reselling it myself, but at $830 value (only a -$330 value at 4yrs) it's hard to pass up, even when you are trading in with a much older phone.

IMHO, keep it as a spare mobile pocket computer for movies, youtube, web browsing etc. if you can't get more than $300 for it which I would have if it weren't for the $830 trade-in value and I've kept all my iPhones from 4, 5, 6, 7, and now 11 will be the first time I give up/trade in.

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
I saw some people that had the option to select “trade in store” when ordering online for pickup. Can anyone confirm if this is the case and at what stage of the order does it ask you this? If in the UK bonus points!! Thanks.

wche

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
I got done with mine today. I was charged several days ago, but they hadn't cleared yet. I did the trade-in in person the same day and got the trade-in amount refunded on my debit card.
Do you also get sales taxes refunded on the trade-in value?

Reactions: lyngo

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
I traded in in-store and got $689 for my 14 pro max. I was pleasantly surprised with the bump in the trade-in since it was really 650 but tax got refunded as well.

Reactions: lyngo

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I picked up my 15PM today in store and two staff members told me I needed to ship it with the trade in kit. What a PITA. Will perhaps try later this week when traffic settles down a bit.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
I picked up my 15PM today in store and two staff members told me I needed to ship it with the trade in kit. What a PITA. Will perhaps try later this week when traffic settles down a bit.
I would’ve told them that’s NOT Apple’s policy regarding trade-ins. Ask kindly to speak to the store manager and then show them Apple’s website on trade in.

Clear as day, Apple excepts trade ins at ALL their stores.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harthag and lyngo

HOTBOBA

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
Picked up my phone yesterday and brought the 14 back today to trade in. No issues with the send in trade in being attached to the order. Refunded to card, painless.

jmoflhrc

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2016
I bought through Apple with the AT&T installment $1000 credit on my 12 Pro Max. The Apple store would not do the trade in and said it needed to shipped back. For the heck if It I went to an AT&T store and they were able to accept the trade in. Hope that did not mess anything up but I do have the trade in receipt, just waiting for things to reflect on my account.

Reactions: Maaz

Jay3197

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
I bought through Apple with the AT&T installment $1000 credit on my 12 Pro Max. The Apple store would not do the trade in and said it needed to shipped back. For the heck if It I went to an AT&T store and they were able to accept the trade in. Hope that did not mess anything up but I do have the trade in receipt, just waiting for things to reflect on my account.
Did you order online and attach a trade in to your order? If so it’s possible they shipped you a “trade in kit”. Unless it’s one of those “your milage may vary” type of scenarios. As someone said, it clearly states on apples site that they allow trade in “in store” however it seems if they shipped a trade in kit, it may be an exception.

Reactions: CosmoPilot

leperry

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2020
I pre-ordered on Apple with my AT&T installment plan and was able to trade in at the Apple Store. They're taking care of the AT&T process.

jmoflhrc

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2016
Did you order online and attach a trade in to your order? If so it’s possible they shipped you a “trade in kit”. Unless it’s one of those “your milage may vary” type of scenarios. As someone said, it clearly states on apples site that they allow trade in “in store” however it seems if they shipped a trade in kit, it may be an exception.
Yeah there is a trade in kit incoming, I've always returned to store over shipping back as I've heard horror stories. It was weird, in the Apple Store they stated since I chose the AT&T installment plan they could not accept the return.

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
Okay, just to clarify... I can pre-order an iPhone 15 Pro Max and pay for it on one credit card. Then I can take my iPhone 13 Pro Max to an Apple store to trade in and they will put the trade in value on a different credit card besides the card I used for my pre-ordered phone?
Yes, I just did this last night. I pre- ordered 2 iPhones and traded in 2 iPhones. I got two separate credits on the same CC.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
If I did an "Upgrade and Return" with Verizon can I drop the return phone off at a corporate store or do I have to ship back? Always scared of shipping an expensive phone back by UPS ground.

antitryptics

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2023
Got my phone today! I was mailed a trade-in kit but they allowed me to trade in store! Have a receipt of the successful trade in; they told me just to ignore the kit when it comes in.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Traded 2 old iPhones in today at the Apple Store for the new iPhone 15s I got in the mail….no issues whatsoever!

Got the return kits in the mail yesterday as well but went to Apple Store to do it today.

Of note, Apple needs to log into your old iphone for the trade in, so if you’ve erased it beforehand, please be sure to set it up as a new iPhone and disable or setup later any features that aren’t necessary. The iPhone will spend about 3-5 minutes “activating” but eventually will go into WiFi (SOS) mode.

Also, I watched the Apple tech process the trade in (she was really cool about it). After doing the diagnostic test on the phone, she selected “Web Order Number” and put in my number (because I told her I bought the new iPhone online and had the web order number with me). The web order number had all the details from my new phone to the iPhones I was trading in, to the amount quoted. Even got back the taxes!!!

Many people were asking about this. If you order online, YOU ABSOLUTELY can trade in your old iPhone in the store. It’s right there in their software to do so as well as advertised on their website.

Hope this helps someone.

lindseybp

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
Will the Apple Store accept a iPhone trade in if I'm trading it in with ATT installments or do I have to ship it to ATT? If I can't do that would it be a safer bet to just order the phone through ATT and have them ship it to a store then bring the old iPhones for trade it at the store when picking up the new iPhones?

SFMarc

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2023
The web order number had all the details from my new phone to the iPhones I was trading in, to the amount quoted. Even got back the taxes!!!
You mean they subtracted the trade-in value from the cost of the new iPhone and only charged sales tax on the difference in price?

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
You mean they subtracted the trade-in value from the cost of the new iPhone and only charged sales tax on the difference in price?
I had to pay for the iPhone in full when I bought it online.

My trade was quoted/worth $650.

Apple credited back my credit card $713 ($650 + $63 in taxes).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.