Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
My money is on CPU gate.

A13 shuts down and restarts cores all over the place to preserve battery. I'll bet there's gonna be some lags and stutters associated with this. I have absolutely zero supporting evidence or understanding of this - but we're having fun here right?

ant69

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
So with each new iPhone Launch there is always some type of issue. Dubbed “Gates” after the WaterGate scandal.

Last year it was Yellow Gate or Antenna Gate or scratch Gate with Jet black IPhone 8’s

So now we have the iPhone 11, 11 Pro and ProMax, what could possibly go wrong ?

Please share your thoughts on what the iPhone 11 new Gate could be.

I’ll guess a few.

#1. Brightness Gate (1200nits is very bright I don’t think they will sustain 1200nits for more than a minute and definitely less) many will cry foul
#2. Color Gate, 1200nits and HDR some will no doubt say the display is too vibrant and not photorealistic
#3. Battery Gate, an Extra 5 hours ? That’s a lot under what settings ?
#4. Charging Gate, included new fast Charger will definitely get the charger hot and get the phone very hot, Maybe too hot for some people.

No! How about we just enjoy our new iPhones rather than look fir faults.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Definitelynotworthitgate
Antennagate 2.0
Headachegate 2.0
Laggate 2.0
Stuttergate 2.0

The usual stuff

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I hope I get a good one. I’ve never owned OLED. Only IPS previously, what am I looking for?

Bleeding? Dead pixels? Uniformity in the corners?

Yah

But also general quality of panel. I had to get my first XR unit a panel replacement because of like “internal bruising” occurring along the sides randomly and the replacement had poor contrast poor grey like blacks and finicky viewing angles. A lot less overall brightness. The text wasn’t as smooth either... It was also poorly replaced and light was shining through the side rubber gasket

But My 2nd unit is more like the first panel I had Before it developed weird issues. Smooth sailing since knock on wood

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Some of these threads are.....terrible. (Yes, this being one of them )I’m actually surprised how many others have no idea what ‘gate’ actually means, and others misconstrue it when it comes to the iPhone. But projecting about a phone that’s not even released is borderline ridiculous.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
So with each new iPhone Launch there is always some type of issue. Dubbed “Gates” after the WaterGate scandal.

Last year it was Yellow Gate or Antenna Gate or scratch Gate with Jet black IPhone 8’s

I’ll guess a few.

#1. Brightness Gate (1200nits is very bright I don’t think they will sustain 1200nits for more than a minute and definitely less) many will cry foul
#2. Color Gate, 1200nits and HDR some will no doubt say the display is too vibrant and not photorealistic
#4. Charging Gate, included new fast Charger will definitely get the charger hot and get the phone very hot, Maybe too hot for some people.
Watergate was (is?) a hotel.

There was no issue with any water, so “gates” as used today are IMHO, a pathetic excuse for attention seekers to get the 2 seconds of “fame”.

Good luck.

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
Well I’m sure Lew from Unbox Therapy will find one and his stupid video will have millions of views.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron

I’ll guess a few.

Addressbook-gate. Your security and privacy is an illusion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.