Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sappharad

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2009
Antenna gate part II cause there is no qualcomm
No. Having a Qualcomm modem won't fix a poor antenna.
The modem itself being at fault was already disproven last year. Yes, Intel's modems did a crappier job recovering from poor signals but overall the modem performance had finally caught up to Qualcomm based on tests.

Edit: Since we're on a new page, it's worth mentioning again that posts from page 1 show that FCC filings indicate the 11 Pro has better antenna gain than the iPhone XS did. It's still not as good as the 8 was due to the extra antennas, but it should be better than the XS is.

Last edited:
Reactions: ROLLTIDE1

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
It's not about trying to sound cool, it was just one of several large prices I saw on their website. Even £1149 sounds ridiculous to me.
People will go on the website, find the most expensive item in that category just to say it's overpriced. You didn't quote the brand new iPhone 11 for 699. That's less than half the cost of the item you chose. Maybe it's not as cool when you're complaining about a cheaper phone? I would still complain if it didn't work properly. Apple makes products for a wide variety of consumers but not for everyone. For some people 1500 is nothing to spend on a phone while others 699 might be way too much. Just because the item is for sale doesn't mean you must purchase it.

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
The modem itself being at fault was already disproven last year. Yes, Intel's modems did a crappier job recovering from poor signals but overall the modem performance had finally caught up to Qualcomm based on tests.

Then why did you say, "...cause there is no Qualcomm?" Were you referring to other folks who would be complaining about no Qualcomm modem when it was an antenna issue?

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
You didn't quote the brand new iPhone 11 for 699.

Yeah, again, not trying to sound cool, just was originally using the price of the model I'd purchase, plus on another thread it seems there's interest in the most expensive model.

Back on topic I still hope for no "gate" no matter wether it's the base 11 or the 11 Pro / Pro Max, it's a lot of money either one. Would love to see more reliability and less updates.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Yeah, again, not trying to sound cool, just was originally using the price of the model I'd purchase, plus on another thread it seems there's interest in the most expensive model.

Back on topic I still hope for no "gate" no matter wether it's the base 11 or the 11 Pro / Pro Max, it's a lot of money either one. Would love to see more reliability and less updates.
I've never had reliability issues on my iPhone. Are you running a beta because that can be a mess. The updates while sometimes annoying are necessary for security and to add new features. I guess to each his own but that's one thing I liked about iPhone vs Android. You don't have to buy a new phone to get the latest version of the OS.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008

Edit: Since we're on a new page, it's worth mentioning again that posts from page 1 show that FCC filings indicate the 11 Pro has better antenna gain than the iPhone XS did. It's still not as good as the 8 was due to the extra antennas, but it should be better than the XS is.

Do you know where I can find the results you mention on the 8’s antenna performance? Was there a specific link that has this information? Thanks!

tripleburst

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2018
There's always going to be that thread where the display will never be good enough after replacing it 10 times or so.

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
Genuinely expecting the same reception issues to persist as last year with absolutely minimal improvement. Would absolutely love to be proven wrong, but initial results are disappointing.

(Quick note - please don't spam this guy with questions.)

https://twitter.com/WiWavelength/status/1171534675434557441
https://twitter.com/WiWavelength/status/1171538815497818112
https://twitter.com/WiWavelength/status/1171976171573141515

Agreed. Hopefully we are wrong, but this is why I didn't pre-order a phone. I may sit the 2019 upgrade cycle out.

Sappharad

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2009
Do you know where I can find the results you mention on the 8’s antenna performance? Was there a specific link that has this information? Thanks!
The 8 Plus is mentioned in the article about last year's antenna problems:
https://www.wiwavelength.com/2018/09/iphone-xs-and-xs-max-mostly-fail-to.html?m=1
But the only results graph he provides is for the power output.

Here is the FCC filing for the LTE tests on the iPhone 8
https://fccid.io/BCG-E3160A/Test-Report/11696948-E8V2-FCC-LTE-Report-Part1-3536331.iframe
See table in chapter 5.5, Maximum Antenna Gain. The graphs in the tweets are just plotting those points.

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
The 8 Plus is mentioned in the article about last year's antenna problems:
https://www.wiwavelength.com/2018/09/iphone-xs-and-xs-max-mostly-fail-to.html?m=1
But the only results graph he provides is for the power output.

Here is the FCC filing for the LTE tests on the iPhone 8
https://fccid.io/BCG-E3160A/Test-Report/11696948-E8V2-FCC-LTE-Report-Part1-3536331.iframe
See table in chapter 5.5, Maximum Antenna Gain. The graphs in the tweets are just plotting those points.

Thank you!

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
More and more people on Youtube are reporting that their new iPhone 11 Pro's are getting really warm, some even to the point where the flash gets disabled because the phone has to cool down.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
More and more people on Youtube are reporting that their new iPhone 11 Pro's are getting really warm, some even to the point where the flash gets disabled because the phone has to cool down.

Would you be able to provide some links? I haven’t seen anything like that. Thanks!

Houdini00

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2019
never probably unless microLED brings a breakthrough on that one. same with LED, its a lottery
Very sad. It got so bad on my xs I had to sell it luckily the new gold one I bought seems to be doing ok so far. Now I’m hesitant to upgrade next year too. As I don’t think this is something Apple would want to cover.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.