Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
Added to my next visionOS wish list. The ability to shut off the notification about the headset being too close to your eyes. Ever since getting the lenses I get the notification every time I put the device on after an extended period of time having it off. It’ s easy enough to click past but it is sort of annoying. Thankfully it only displays once and not again even if I take the device off for a few minutes during use or it would be deal breaker.

I’ve found the 21W light seal that I was initially recommended by Apple’s Store app, after multiple face scans just in case, before preordering the device also works the best for me with the prescription lenses as well. Apple’s subsequent face scans, again I did it multiple times to be sure, when I ordered the lenses after deciding to keep the device came back as a 25W being the recommended light seal size with the lenses but when I tried them both I found the 21W was better. I could see glare with the 25W that I just don’t see with the 21W at all. The 21W also fits my wife who doesn’t need glasses or contacts plus the other family members we’ve had over who have tried it as well but even with the 25W I’d still get that notification.

So just to reiterate buyers beware. If you try or buy the device without lenses then order them later you might be just fine with the initial light seal you got. I’d still order whatever the app recommends and give it a try as you can easily return the new light seal if you don’t need it. In retrospect the best thing to do if you can is order the device with the prescription inserts but go to the Apple Store to pick it up and be sure to try a couple of different light seals one smaller and perhaps one larger than what the app recommended so you can try them all out on the spot and take home just the one you prefer. In my case if the 25W had been better it would’ve been past the original return date to get a refund for the 21W but since that light seal worked well for my wife and others and given what I’d already spent on the 512GB model plus AppleCare+ if I needed another light seal just for when I used the inserts I was willing to spend the additional cash but if the thought of dropping another $200 on it is a deal breaker then by all means go to the nearest Apple Store and try the different light seals out because at this point based on my own experience and the experience of others I’ve read about both here and on other comment boards when you’re ordering with lenses Apple’s track record has been to give those who would otherwise be happy with and prefer a 21W a 25W instead. I wouldn’t take the chance even if the store was an hour away. If it’s a longer drive and you’ll be returning it by mail then go ahead and order both the light seal a face scan with the option for no lenses recommends plus a light seal that the option with lenses recommends, try them both out for at least several days and you can safely send the one you don’t want back for a refund (or all of it if you don’t like the device either way).

CodeSpyder

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
This is utter nonsense.

ANSI Z80.1 is the reference standard for vision corrective eyewear.

For astigmatism, the tolerance for cylinder axis is dependent on the cylinder power.

<0.25D - tolerance is +/- 14 degrees.
0.25 to 0.5 is +/- 7 degrees
0.5 to 0.75 is +/- 5 degrees
0.75 to 1.5 is +/- 3 degrees
>1.5 is +/- 2 degrees

Contact lenses that correct for astigmatism (typically maxing out at 1.75-2.25D) are only available in 10 degree ranges, and are prescribed thousands of times a day.
I should have kept my darn inserts instead of returning them. Thanks for the information.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I and many others have the same issue with skewed windows with the inserts in. It seems to be that the software doesn't account for the prescription (and potentially the astigmatism) properly and makes the windows skewed. Hopefully it will be addressed in an update.
Please let us know when this gets corrected. I ended up sending back my prescription because the image was skewed, and got the non-prescription inserts based on over-the-counter Reading Glasses instead.
While the images look sharp and clear, once I removed my AVP, my vision would be blurry for a while, unable to read my iPhone screen from a normal distance.
Tried using without the inserts and noticed that eventually I could see everything better (although not as good as with the inserts), but then after removing the AVP, I could see a little better than usual for a while, able to read my Watch and Phone from a normal distance.
So I'm not sure what to do.
Also the inserts would have that annoying glare that eventually we get used to and ignore it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.