Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
Wauv… some people actually dislikes this comment?!? So they prefer more money to shareholders and top management instead of workers?

Who’s gonna buy the products this company sells then?

If you give lower income groups more money they’re gonna spend it and return it into the society/business. If you give more money to the 1% richest they’re gonna spend it on sending cars into space.
Exactly. Except you have it backwards. More money for union leadership and lobbying kickbacks... you know... the 1%'ers.

Surprised people dislike the comment? Maybe because they don't believe this is the way.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
What rights do the Apple employees not have? Apparently they even said in their letter that it is about gaining rights. What are these?
Don't know about the condtions concerning Apple employees but unions work to improve many rights and work conditions regardning minimum wage, working hours, vacation, health insurance, work accidents and pensions, to mention a few examples.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
What rights do the Apple employees not have? Apparently they even said in their letter that it is about gaining rights. What are these?
Probably those things Apple started offering earlier this year to try to stop people from unionizing.

There may be other lingering issues Apple has yet to address at this store or throughout their retail stores which is why they overwhelmingly voted to unionize.

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
Exactly. Except you have it backwards. More money for union leadership and lobbying kickbacks... you know... the 1%'ers.

Surprised people dislike the comment? Maybe because they don't believe this is the way.
I’m not saying there isn’t corrupt union leaders in the US, but

1) would people join a union if it didn’t give them a higher net income?
2) please share list of union leaders that has an income similar to Apple (or Amazon, Ford, McD etc) leaders

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
The number of people in these threads who, like you, are gleefully hoping these workers get utterly screwed and lose their livelihood for daring to collectively bargain for better working conditions really bother me. You and those commenting the same way are somehow incredibly angry at people you’ve never met simply because they want fair wages, protection, and benefits for their labor and I really don’t get it. Why do you want these folks to get screwed? Why do you want it so much you want to not just see it happen but laugh at their misfortune if it did? What did they do to you?
A lot of Americans (in particular) have been trained to think that laws and rules that benefit the average worker are bad, even when they’re in the same boat themselves. It used to be part of the “pull yourself up by your bootstraps” thinking, but today is become more of a hatred that “others” should get something you’re not getting.

Jetfire

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Sorry, but unions have been the death of America’s manufacturing base. Not that every union is bad, but most are more corrupt than the companies they work for. From what I read Apple retail not a bad place to work. Especially, compared to other retailers

If Apple was smart they would close that store. Come up with an easy way to ship in repairs or open a repair only location. Everything else can be ordered online.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
Labour laws in the US? Where women aren’t even granted maternity leave? Where there’s an ingrained culture of not taking time off from work even for a vacation? Have you been to any other modern industrialized nations? From the outside looking in, the US looks like a terrible place to work.
I am not American and was not aware of the maternity leave. That is something your government should deal with as a human right and not be left up to your unions, especially if you want equality for all people, not just those who have a union to back them.

I hardly believe there is a big culture of Americans not taking time off work for vacation. I have travelled many times in the US and if it is not Americans in their RV's or at national parks, monuments and everything else you have to do then your influx of foreign tourists is pretty impressive, especially when they sport American flags on everything showing their host country pride.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
Don't know about the condtions concerning Apple employees but unions work to improve many rights and work conditions regardning minimum wage, working hours, vacation, health insurance, work accidents and pensions, to mention a few examples.
I know that, I'm specifically asking about these Apple employees.

DC Wallaby

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2014
The number of people in these threads who, like you, are gleefully hoping these workers get utterly screwed and lose their livelihood for daring to collectively bargain for better working conditions really bother me. You and those commenting the same way are somehow incredibly angry at people you’ve never met simply because they want fair wages, protection, and benefits for their labor and I really don’t get it. Why do you want these folks to get screwed? Why do you want it so much you want to not just see it happen but laugh at their misfortune if it did? What did they do to you?
It’s because they’ve grown up on the right wing‘s outlandish propaganda which teaches them a lot of things:
  • Corporations are inherently good because they are driven by capitalistic ideals
  • The rich are rich as a reward for their inherent virtues, such as intelligence
  • The poor are poor because of their inherent flaws, such as laziness
  • Unions are de facto evil because they stand in the way of corporations doing what they want to do
Look at the hostility towards workers throughout these threads. “If I owned a business and my workers tried to unionize, I’d treat it as an act of aggression by them and close my business down!” “Oh, I love kiosks because then fast food employees don’t give me attitude just for giving my order!” “If they want to be paid better, they should just make themselves indispensable!” The people in this thread genuinely hate working-class individuals—even though they deny it—because they think the key to economic mobility is as simple as, “If you want more, work harder” or “If you want to be paid like a CEO, just become a CEO.”

And maybe for them, it was that simple. But for the vast majority of people living in the real world, there are so many factors that go into one’s opportunities for economic advancement that their fantastical view of how “easy” it is to “not be a poor worker” if you’re “smart” and “good” enough just does not comport with reality. The world of work is complex, and growing increasingly so. And most of the people who think they pulled themselves up by their own bootstraps actually had a lot of help getting to where they are.

They hate these Apple employees because they hate workers trying to level the playing field because they think that working-class individuals deserve whatever terms companies set. They hate workers trying to get more for themselves because they feel that if you are working-class, you deserve whatever you get, and if you were actually worth a damn, you’d find your way out of the working class like they did. And they point to labor laws to protect workers as proof that unions aren’t necessary, despite the fact that 1) unions are one of the primary reasons those lose exist in the first place, and 2) unions are able to mobilize their members to fight against attempts to take away those labor laws. Because if there is one thing that is true of American politics today, it’s that politicians have no qualms about going after things that have been long-established as an existing right.

Last edited:

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
I am not American and was not aware of the maternity leave. That is something your government should deal with as a human right and not be left up to your unions, especially if you want equality for all people, not just those who have a union to back them.

I hardly believe there is a big culture of Americans not taking time off work for vacation. I have travelled many times in the US and if it is not Americans in their RV's or at national parks, monuments and everything else you have to do then your influx of foreign tourists is pretty impressive, especially when they sport American flags on everything showing their host country pride.
Average amount of vacation time for salaried employees in the US is 2 weeks, sometimes that’s a pool for both sick leave and vacation, plus ~10-12 fixed holiday days every year - and a huge portion of hourly workers functionally get no vacation time at all. There are over 300M people in the US so of course plenty of people by raw numbers can travel (for ex I’m lucky in that I get much more PTO) but overall it’s *vastly* more limited than Europe. I suspect you’d find the number of people in the US who have literally never left their state shocking.

also states have varying employment protections and policies so, for ex, blue states tend to have better labor laws (they also tend to have higher average wages) so folks in blue states can often afford to travel more

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012

Punching down reveals the weakness of the puncher.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Retail labor is a fraction of the cost structure for Apple’s products, the worker’s pay could double and it wouldnt significantly increase product cost

Really. Apple has around 65,000 retail employees. What do you guess the average retail yearly wage is?

Multiply that by 65,000 (as you're going to double their salary as you said up above).

Also estimate any increase in the value of benefits (medical, holidays, vacation, 401k, sick time, education, etc) paid by Apple due to unionization. For the moment, to keep things simple, let's say there is no increase. Even though there will likely be one.

And, as both of the above are a component of COGS (cost of goods sold), multiply the above by 1.4 to come up with the extra cost passed on to the consumer.

Still believe that's insignificant?

Last edited:

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Side note... I think it is BS the Biden is so hell bent on pushing unionization, that credits for Americans buying EVs only go to those who bought cars from unionized automakers. Tesla has been at the forefront of making electric vehicles a real thing, but you can't get a credit for a Tesla... because "Tesla made by Elon. Elon is rich man. Rich man bad."

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Fun fact: those kiosks don’t usually result in lower staffing levels, they just free up staff to do other things than taking all initial orders, which allows places to expand their menus or increase throughout, or cleanliness, or… etc while keeping the same staffing level

Agreed. Burger employees earn a living wage here in Switzerland. Kiosks came here before the US had them.

Number of personnel appears same.

An gain for store owners is most payment is cashless so the downsides, inefficiencies and costs of handling cash are significantly reduced.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Apple needs to send a message and shut down any store that even thinks of unionizing. These joe six-packs are a dime a dozen in retail. Have them kick rocks on the unemployment line while someone else more appreciative collects a deserved paycheck

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Side note... I think it is BS the Biden is so hell bent on pushing unionization, that credits for Americans buying EVs only go to those who bought cars from unionized automakers. Tesla has been at the forefront of making electric vehicles a real thing, but you can't get a credit for a Tesla... because "Tesla made by Elon. Elon is rich man. Rich man bad."

Elon is a visionary genius but also a jackaas. He’s bad because of his negative tendencies. Wealth is a multiplier, it allows one to be more of what they already are.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Really. Apple has around 65,000 retail employees. What do you guess the average retail yearly wage is?

Multiply that by 65,000 (as you're going to double their salary as you said up above).

Also estimate any increase in the value of benefits (medical, holidays, 401k) paid by Apple due to unionization. For the moment, to keep things simple, let's say there is no increase. Even though there will likely be one.

And, as both of the above are a component of COGS (cost of goods sold), multiply by 1.4 to come up with the extra cost passed on to the consumer.

Still believe that's insignificant?
Let’s say every retail employee suddenly made $60,000 more than they make now, which is substantially more than double overall I suspect, that would cost an additional ~$4B/yr. That sounds like a lot, sure, but to put that in perspective Apple could never add money to their cash reserves and yet still pay that out of their cash reserves for the next century. On a income side Apple made $124B in revenue last *quarter*, let’s assume that suggests ~$500B/yr, the total sum here would be less than a 1% difference in revenue. And that’s not counting the fact that unions tend to reduce employee churn, a huge cost on the scale Apple employs at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.