Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cflem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
Texas
But maybe there is more that we will discover once installed… They sure didn't mention it very much… I will likely install DB1 to see…

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
The more "customization" of the windows is nice. I can't wait for the vids to start dropping. I am disappointed that we did not get clamshell mode as it was leaked to be part of iPadOS 17.

I'm hoping its hidden in iPadOS 17 and they just decided not to mention it.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The more "customization" of the windows is nice. I can't wait for the vids to start dropping. I am disappointed that we did not get clamshell mode as it was leaked to be part of iPadOS 17.
Yeah, it's plenty of stuff that missed the list. More control over the audio source when plugged into a monitor... but I'm anxious to experience this new windowing system for Stage Manager.

But across the board was underwhelming with all the preexisting operating systems. I think all their resources and effort went into the headset unfortunately.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Yeah, it's plenty of stuff that missed the list. More control over the audio source when plugged into a monitor... but I'm anxious to experience this new windowing system for Stage Manager.

But across the board was underwhelming with all the preexisting operating systems. I think all their resources and effort went into the headset unfortunately.
You have it installed!!!!

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
IMG_5246.jpeg

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
They mentioned something about improving the windowing. I really really hope they have! It’s the only thing I hate about the modern iPad.
If you look at the animation on the iPadOS 17 Preview page, it looks like they might have removed the snapping window sizes, meaning fluid size adjustments and positioning!

Reactions: Kal Madda

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
It does look smoother 🤔
Yeah, it’s a difference. Not a crazy difference, but its there.

Lockscreen customization is kind of broken... only a select few widgets work. They changed the way notification are shown… its similar to that of iOS as in they appear from the bottom. Meanwhile few apps have been tweaked a bit… Music, Mail and Messages, but nothing drastic.

F27

macrumors regular
May 24, 2022
Meanwhile few apps have been tweaked a bit… Music, Mail and Messages, but nothing drastic.
In the Music app can you now order Albums by Release Date in the Album view? It was something missing for years that classic iOS had.

Reactions: boston04and07

Jedimindtrick

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2017
Stage manager window placement is definitely improved, especially with Display Zoom set to More Space, can actually have 4 apps open with zero overlap. Far less snapping into place, most window placements stay exactly where you leave it. SM moving in the right direction! I’m very pleased this was already prioritized in iPadOS 17. My guess as to why it wasn’t mentioned in depth at WWDC is because SM was widely panned by critics, and Apple possibly wanted to downplay expectations with the improvements made to it. As someone who was critical of SM at launch, I’m very pleased with this update, and this is only the first beta, more refinements to come.

Jedimindtrick

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2017
If you look at the animation on the iPadOS 17 Preview page, it looks like they might have removed the snapping window sizes, meaning fluid size adjustments and positioning!
there’s still snapping in the window size, which will likely always be the case. At least until even the base iPads have M1 chips in them 5 years from now and iPadOS can do a total redesign. The only way they can have windowed apps work right out of the box is to have the preset sizes built in.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
there’s still snapping in the window size, which will likely always be the case. At least until even the base iPads have M1 chips in them 5 years from now and iPadOS can do a total redesign. The only way they can have windowed apps work right out of the box is to have the preset sizes built in.
Apps that support auto layout should be able to adjust freely. Apple demoed in their previous WWDC sessions how Documents app on iPadOS can freely adjust window size even without the obnoxious blur on ARM macOS, whereas iPadOS applies a blur and is limited, they even said as such.

Honestly, apps not constrained to aspect ratios should be resizable without preset sizes imo. And get rid of the blur too.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Please tell me they have a 16:9 aspect ratio window size, my media player app looks like ridiculous with the black borders

depeschiezero

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2018
Germany
StageManager gots some nice improvements for Window Management and Resize a window.
Also scrolling through Webpages is a little bit better? But could be illusion on my side.

Btw, is that new, that you can disable Autocorrect for Hardware Keyboard separately?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.