Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Anything new related to audio with these updates to stage manager? Possible to choose iPad instead of a monitor?
Unfortunately no, didn’t make the list. It works the same way as before, but I normally use my AirPods Max when connected to a monitor…

• Sad
Reactions: Populus

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Has anyone tried FaceTime or Zoom with a monitor that has a webcam? That was always my biggest pet peeve about using Stage Manager with an external display (in my case a Studio display) - the lack of webcam support.

Reactions: Kal Madda

ujjbd16

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2015
Oh just tried this out, so happy to see it!

And definitely much more control over window locations, love it!
This does not seem to work for me, my picture in picture video still sticks to the corners of the screen. Is there a setting I should be looking to change.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Windows are sooooooo much better on iPadOS17. I can‘t wait to try it on a monitor.

Maybe there’s a bit of a placebo effect but moving windows around feels so much nicer.

Ok, just playing with it on a studio display, definitely feels like a similar improvement there too. they do snap into place, but much more control over placement. So refreshing.

On a sad note though, when I closed the iPad (in the Smart Keyboard — Ie. put it to sleep) the external display went off as well. Would be so nice to treat it like a MacBook in clamshell with external display running.

Also, I would love to see (specific to Stage Manager on an external display) when tapping an icon in the dock that the app opens in the current stage.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
This does not seem to work for me, my picture in picture video still sticks to the corners of the screen. Is there a setting I should be looking to change.

Ah yes, PIP still sticks to the corner of the screen, but its possible now to move the other app to the side so that it is not blocked by the PIP window.

Reactions: ujjbd16

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Maybe there’s a bit of a placebo effect but moving windows around feels so much nicer.

Ok, just playing with it on a studio display, definitely feels like a similar improvement there too. they do snap into place, but much more control over placement. So refreshing.

On a sad note though, when I closed the iPad (in the Smart Keyboard — Ie. put it to sleep) the external display went off as well. Would be so nice to treat it like a MacBook in clamshell with external display running.

Also, I would love to see (specific to Stage Manager on an external display) when tapping an icon in the dock that the app opens in the current stage.
It’s not a placebo effect, there’s a lot more freedom where you can move windows and what sizes you can make them. It’s night and day.

Reactions: profets

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
There is a bug in stage manager on iPadOS 16 and I’m wondering if it’s been resolved. The issue is that if you have an external monitor connected and click on the top right of the monitor’s screen, where you’d expect Control Center to come down from, CC does activate, but on the iPad screen itself. Does Control Center now appear on the monitor like it should? This was annoying as it prevents you from adjusting the display brightness of the monitor without going into Settings.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
There is a bug in stage manager on iPadOS 16 and I’m wondering if it’s been resolved. The issue is that if you have an external monitor connected and click on the top right of the monitor’s screen, where you’d expect Control Center to come down from, CC does activate, but on the iPad screen itself. Does Control Center now appear on the monitor like it should? This was annoying as it prevents you from adjusting the display brightness of the monitor without going into Settings.
Just tried it, still has CC slide down on the iPad itself unfortunately.

Reactions: boston04and07

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Stage manger seems smoother and the windows basically resize or position however you want… thats pretty much it…
Do they still go nuts when you rotate the iPad? My biggest gripe is they just move where they want when you rotate…..it seems to have been built to only be used with rotation lock on otherwise it’s maddening

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I think it’s going to be more of a refinement rather than something completely new. I don’t mind. I would rather have a solid OS instead of a buggy one.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
I installed iOS 17 B1 and it has been working flawlessly for me over the past day.

Is iPad OS 17 just as stable? I am thinking about installing it today knowing the risks involved.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Can anyone check if they made any changes to the multitasking switcher? Do apps group by stage or are they still organized in inaccessible stacks ?
Umm.. there’s no changes to App Exposé when in Stage Manager. So, if you prefer to rearrange windows in App Exposé… you’ll better off staying with SplitView/SlideOver.

I installed iOS 17 B1 and it has been working flawlessly for me over the past day.

Is iPad OS 17 just as stable? I am thinking about installing it today knowing the risks involved.
For a 1st beta… it’s fairly stable. Only crashes I’ve experienced is using it with my portable monitor (still bearable)… but without a monitor it has been working great.

Reactions: NJRonbo

iToph

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
Can anyone tell me about monitor compatibility? I have the LG 5k2k 40WP95X With TB4 and I’m about to pull the trigger on a new iPad Pro m2 to use it on this monitor. Any thoughts?

UnlikelyLass

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2016
It's great to hear that you're experiencing smoother window management and improved window placement with the Stage Manager feature on your Windows system. Efficient window handling can greatly enhance productivity and multitasking capabilities.

The Stage Manager feature, introduced in recent Windows updates, allows you to have more control over window resizing and positioning. It enables you to arrange windows on your desktop in a way that suits your preferences, making it easier to work with multiple applications simultaneously.

With Display Zoom set to "More Space," you can take full advantage of the available screen real estate and have more windows open without overlapping. This can be particularly beneficial when working on tasks that require referencing multiple sources or applications simultaneously.

Additionally, the enhanced window placement behavior ensures that your window positions are preserved, allowing you to maintain your preferred layout across sessions. This can save time and effort as you don't have to readjust windows each time you open applications.

These improvements contribute to a more streamlined and personalized workflow, empowering you to efficiently organize and manage your workspace. Enjoy utilizing the Stage Manager feature to make the most out of your Windows system and optimize your multitasking capabilities.
This is totally an AI response, right?

Reactions: RLRabb
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.