Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Several Apple resellers in Australia have begun selling iPod Mini's, 20GB iPods and iMac G5s at significant discounts.

The discounts are believed to be "below cost" -- potentially representing a clearance of products prior to new product releases.

Recent rumors have claimed that the iPod Mini would be seeing modest upgrades in the next week or so. No substantial rumors have hinted at iMac upgrades, but the Apple store has reportedly pushed back ship times for iMacs to 7-10 days.

unage85

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2003
Sydney
It's true! It's all true!

Hey, well I can say the iPod part is true. BUT, here in Australia you can basically buy an iPod anywhere now. I don't know about the 'Apple Reseller' bit because I've yet to see a 'true blue' (like NextByte) reseller selling those things for below costs.

I think most Sydneysiders can remember Megamart's catalogue recently that had an iPod for $399AU and an iPod mini for $299AU. That's a $100 off the RRP! BUT!! Megamart is a chain store from Myer's who also owns KMart, Target and Myers (who all sell iPods) so I'm sure they can 'afford' to discount so heavliy. Plus, the 3 Megamarts in Sydney are seriously out of the way for some people as there isn't really a train station running through those areas. (Yea yea, use ur car but hey! Public transport usually generates more business cause parking's a bitch) ;)

Meanwhile, would it kill them to update the iMac? Seech, I want an iMac but 256 standard... even on the 20-inch? Come on... a computer over $2000AU SHOULD have at least 512!

Meanwhile, I'm posting uneducated so please correct me if I'm wrong... I can only speak for someone who lives in Sydney's east :)

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Macrumors said:
Several Apple resellers in Australia have begun selling iPod Mini's, 20GB iPods and iMac G5s at significant discounts.

The discounts are believed to be "below cost" -- potentially representing a clearance of products prior to new product releases.

Anyone got links to Ozi stores with such discounts on iMacs?

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
I could do with a new iPod... almost... and if a new iMac comes out I think I may have to get one...! I almost bought one already but I don't like buying initial versions of a product... something better always comes along!

digitalrampage

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2001
Sydney, Australia
No they can't afford it

I can say as a reseller - They are well below our costs.
Which is what is very intriguing. Even they can not afford the losses i can calculate as loss losers.

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
aswitcher said:
Anyone got links to Ozi stores with such discounts on iMacs?

i'd like a link also.
the resellers around my way are still at rrp.
there is a $200 cash back for an iPod and iBook purchased together.
nextbyte always appear to have inside info.
they usually start discounts on products that are being updated, 3 to 4 weeks before it happens.
could be a coincidence. it has happened to many times.
maybe they read macrumors and start cutting prices based on what appears here.

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
*note of interest:
In the US there is a delay on ship dates for iMacs, iPod Minis, and (get this) iPod Photos.

Powerbooks, Mac minis and ipod shuffles also have backorders, but we can explain those.

Looks like anything can happen this week regarding iPods and iMacs may go with them. All I can say is I want iTunes 5 ASAP.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
digitalrampage said:
I can say as a reseller - They are well below our costs.
Which is what is very intriguing. Even they can not afford the losses i can calculate as loss losers.

Can you tell us who are "they"?

.:*Robot Boy*:.

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2005
New Zealand
Hi,
When I got my PowerBook I asked about the Cram & Jam promotion and I was told that there were no 20GB iPods left in New Zealand and that a new model would be coming out in 2-3 weeks, that was about two weeks ago.

Tim.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
yay!

.:*Robot Boy*:. said:
Hi,
When I got my PowerBook I asked about the Cram & Jam promotion and I was told that there were no 20GB iPods left in New Zealand and that a new model would be coming out in 2-3 weeks, that was about two weeks ago.

Tim.

New stuff this Tuesday!!!

hahaha, I hope so :D

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
apple insider's added their 2 cents:

Feb 21 - 12:00 pm EST Over the weekend, Apple quietly extended the wait times for both its iPod photo models from the same business day to 2-4 business days, tipsters have noted. Recent reports have indicated imminent changes to the majority of the company's iPod offerings, including the adoption of a color screen on the iPod mini and a possible reorganization of the remaining display-based players. Sales of the color-display enabled iPod photos have lagged behind lower priced models, sources said. Apple may soon reduce the price of the photo players and eliminate the 40GB model iPod that sports a monochrome display, they said. All indications have pointed to iPod, and possibly iMac, related announcements by mid-week.

link

ASP272

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Nashville, TN
I wouldn't be surprised if the new iPod Mini's showed up tomorrow. They've been rumored/predicted for a long time now, since the leak of the larger Mini hard drives. We haven't heard a lot of chatter on the iMacs, but I guess a small speed bump could be possible.

inlimbo

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2005
Sydney, Australia
.:*Robot Boy*:. said:
Hi,

Tim.

I ordered the new Rev D PB 2-3weeks ago (from the Australian store) and got a cram and jam 20gig iPod no problems. It shipped to me the next day. Im still awaiting my PB though.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Eliminating the 40GB model?

DAMMIT.

I was hoping to get an iPod soon (My first) and I need a 40GB. 20GB is too small (My library is just over 20GB) and no way in hell am I paying $500 for a iPod Photo. I can hardly justtify $400 as it is.

jmk

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2005
neoelectronaut said:
Eliminating the 40GB model?

DAMMIT.

I was hoping to get an iPod soon (My first) and I need a 40GB. 20GB is too small (My library is just over 20GB) and no way in hell am I paying $500 for a iPod Photo. I can hardly justtify $400 as it is.

By eliminated, it sounds like the iPod Photo will be the new iPod 40Gb (meaning it gets a price drop to the 40GB price). That's my interpretation though.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
jmk said:
By eliminated, it sounds like the iPod Photo will be the new iPod 40Gb (meaning it gets a price drop to the 40GB price). That's my interpretation though.

Why can't they release a non-Photo 40GB iPod for $350 then? I have no need for Photo features.

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
inlimbo said:
I ordered the new Rev D PB 2-3weeks ago (from the Australian store) and got a cram and jam 20gig iPod no problems. It shipped to me the next day. Im still awaiting my PB though.

I ordered a 15" PowerBook and 20gig iPod on the "Cram and Jam" deal on 16/02/05 (Apple Australia). The shipping date for both my iPod and PowerBook is 03/03/05.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.