Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhlegmMaster

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2005
neoelectronaut said:
Eliminating the 40GB model?
DAMMIT.

I was hoping to get an iPod soon (My first) and I need a 40GB. 20GB is too small (My library is just over 20GB) and no way in hell am I paying $500 for a iPod Photo. I can hardly justtify $400 as it is.

If they do, it'll be replaced with a 60GB model (which they should've done ages ago).

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2003
No changes on iMac prices in the USA. Do other countries usually see price drops before the United States on old models when new models are coming out?

The Truth

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2005
at my wits end (in Australia)
PhlegmMaster said:
This is almost exactly the same as what's happened in New Zealand a few weeks back - the prices of 40GB iPods from all retailers dropped about $200 with offer's set to expire in 2-3 months.

The Cram & Jam thing is also over here, but it's not for the 40GB iPod (which I bought a few days earlier) and we got ~$200 discount on the PowerBook anyway :p

(And Apple products in NZ are handled by Renaissance Ltd, not Apple Australia (although they are the suppliers)).

The "below cost" 20GB and 40GB were only available from big retailers who purchased more than they needed before christmas.

The $200 off the 40GB a few months back was because everyone sold out of 20GBs for a while before christmas.

The Cram and Jam offer started off as a deal only on the 20GB but now it covers any full sized iPod when purchased with a Powerbook or iBook.

etai

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2005
Perth, Western Australia
Kristine said:
I ordered a 15" PowerBook and 20gig iPod on the "Cram and Jam" deal on 16/02/05 (Apple Australia). The shipping date for both my iPod and PowerBook is 03/03/05.

I also ordered a 15" PB with the "cram and jam iPod deal" on the 2/1/05.
I had an initial ship date of 16/2/05 which was pushed back to 3/3/05.

Addit: just checked my order status and it just shipped yesterday! woohoo!! :)

Now I just have to hope I don't get one with a noisy 100GB HD, dodgey trackpad, faulty lid latch, or warped casing! :eek:

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
etai said:
I also ordered a 15" PB with the "cram and jam iPod deal" on the 2/1/05.
I had an initial ship date of 16/2/05 which was pushed back to 3/3/05.

Addit: just checked my order status and it just shipped yesterday! woohoo!! :)

Now I just have to hope I don't get one with a noisy 100GB HD, dodgey trackpad, faulty lid latch, or warped casing! :eek:

Did you order the 20 gig iPod? If so, did you get a discount on your order? My order is still showing 03/03, but they gave me a credit on my total for the new price of the 20 gig iPod. I am going to sell it when it arrives because I ordered a 30 gig iPod Photo this afternoon (my partner is going to kill me!)...

etai

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2005
Perth, Western Australia
Kristine said:
Did you order the 20 gig iPod? If so, did you get a discount on your order? My order is still showing 03/03, but they gave me a credit on my total for the new price of the 20 gig iPod. I am going to sell it when it arrives because I ordered a 30 gig iPod Photo this afternoon (my partner is going to kill me!)...

Yeah, I was under the impression that the whole cram & jam promo, was only for the 20GB ipod. I wasn't aware that the price of the 20gb model has changed following the latest revisions, but they have deducted $200 off the price of the ipod rather than making me mail back a coupon...

Hmmn... now to buy a good laptop bag/sleeve.. :rolleyes:

trailblazer

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2004
the whole myer iPod promo ($299 mini, $399 20gig) was because myer had something like 60,000 iPods, and apple told myer to stop ordering iPods and start selling.

or something. :)

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Its great to hear about the price drops, but i'd like to know why the price of all apple products hasn't been lowered due the recently increased strenght of the Australian Dollar?

A 15" PB w SD costs $3650 AUD, $3320 if you exclude 10% GST. The same model PB costs only $2300 US and when converted to AUD that's only $2940. Thats between $400-$700 (depending on what you want to do with the tax) difference in cost.

Don't get me wrong, i'm more than willing to pay the price for a fantastic computer, it just seems a tiny bit unfair.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
max_altitude said:
Its great to hear about the price drops, but i'd like to know why the price of all apple products hasn't been lowered due the recently increased strenght of the Australian Dollar?

A 15" PB w SD costs $3650 AUD, $3320 if you exclude 10% GST. The same model PB costs only $2300 US and when converted to AUD that's only $2940. Thats between $400-$700 (depending on what you want to do with the tax) difference in cost.

Don't get me wrong, i'm more than willing to pay the price for a fantastic computer, it just seems a tiny bit unfair.

Yeah, pods are well priced BUT other Apple items seem a bit over priced given the exchange rate... But since PBs just got bumped dont expect any drops anytime soon. Maybe a new deal might make it a sweeter deal.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
aswitcher said:
Yeah, pods are well priced BUT other Apple items seem a bit over priced given the exchange rate... But since PBs just got bumped dont expect any drops anytime soon. Maybe a new deal might make it a sweeter deal.

We can only hope!!

gmark2000

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2005
Toronto, Canada
iMac and Powermac speedbumps indicated?

Sorry, my first post so I can't start a new thread on this topic.

There are some signs that a speedbump in both the Powermac and iMac product lines are imminent.

There are reports of the single processor Powermac being discontinued at CompUSA.

There are reports of increased shipping delay for G5 Powermacs despite an ample supply of chips and large corporate buyers are being advised of an upgrade before spring.

There are reports of one month backorders of the G5 iMac 20" CTO through Apple and resellers cannot restock.

I personally have had two slippages in the shipping dates for my iMac (now 3/2).

Anyone else noticing these occurences? The Powerbook supply dried-up a couple weeks before the recent speedbump announcement.

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2003
iMac G5 ship times have now changed to 1-3 business days. ... that's down from the 3-5 days it's been showing for the last week+.

The surge is on. ;) That sets things up for a potential Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday announcement, OR... we could see nothing happen. :p lol

Trout74

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
yes, I honestly think the iMacs will get an update on Monday or Tuesday, and the Powermacs the following Monday. Yes, this seems backwords, but the imacs have been showing the delays, not the powermacs, and the redtag prices of refurbished imacs were dropped by 50$ today.

updates are imminent...............
Hold please

trout

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2003
Woooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :D

Sorry, sudden burst of excitement. lol :p

I'm not setting myself up for disappointment though... I'm not expecting anything (though I *do* WANT updates) heh. I'll just see what happens. ;)

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2003
Trout74 said:
yes, I honestly think the iMacs will get an update on Monday or Tuesday, and the Powermacs the following Monday. Yes, this seems backwords, but the imacs have been showing the delays, not the powermacs, and the redtag prices of refurbished imacs were dropped by 50$ today.

updates are imminent...............
Hold please

trout
BTW, was the $50 drop on the refurb 20" w Superdrive? Cuz the 17" 1.6 is still the same ($1099) and the 17" 1.8 is $1299.

Trout74

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
SteveC said:
BTW, was the $50 drop on the refurb 20" w Superdrive? Cuz the 17" 1.6 is still the same ($1099) and the 17" 1.8 is $1299.

yes,

price drop on 20" to roughly 1650 from 1699.

trout

PBSteve

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2004
Has anyone actually gotten anything close to a reality check on an update this week?

Just curious...don't want to get too excited...last week was a letdown.

crawdad62

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2002
Greencastle, IN
I don't know if this has been posted already (too lazy to go back through the thread) but the shipping dates have gone from 3-5 days to 1-3 days on the iMacs.

Man I wish they'd do something. I've made up my mind to wait until there's a revision but I'm jonesing for one now!

It's getting to the point that I may wait until Tiger.

PBSteve

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2004
Apple Update Day

Whenever Apple does an update/new release - is it generally on Wednesday's?

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2003
PBSteve said:
Whenever Apple does an update/new release - is it generally on Wednesday's?
Nope. ;) Could be any day. Tuesday's are common, as are Mon. and Wed. OSes have been released on various days as well... nothing solid.

crawdad62

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2002
Greencastle, IN
Well some are starting to ship

I was on Apple's iMac discussion forum and it seems as though some people that have been pushed back a few times are starting to ship.

It was mentioned there that the delays were due to the Chinese New Year. Not sure if that was Apple's official response or rumored. But for whatever reason they're shipping now.

A couple of people that ordered mid January got shipped out on 3/1. Very disappointing...... I was hoping the delays were revision related. Still crossing my fingers hoping for one though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.