Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simoner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Does any XDR owners have an issue with the dirty screen effect with Pro Display?
I have nano-texture version. I notice it mainly when I’m scrolling content with the white/grey background.
Should I return it and get a new one or is this as good as it gets?

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Does any XDR owners have an issue with the dirty screen effect with Pro Display?
I have nano-texture version. I notice it mainly when I’m scrolling content with the white/grey background.

That is the description a few people have used for the nanotexture version.

Reactions: chfilm

Simoner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
That is the description a few people have used for the nanotexture version.
To clarify I’m not referring to paper-like texture that nano-texture version have but rather color uniformity while it is displaying a single, solid color.

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
To clarify I’m not referring to paper-like texture that nano-texture version have but rather color uniformity while it is displaying a single, solid color.

Do you have a photo or video that shows this effect? I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to. I have the nano and it took a little to get used to it after years of glossy screens (sort of like when I was forced to first use a glossy screen and had to adapt to it), but I love it now.

Reactions: OkiRun

Simoner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Do you have a photo or video that shows this effect? I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to. I have the nano and it took a little to get used to it after years of glossy screens (sort of like when I was forced to first use a glossy screen and had to adapt to it), but I love it now.
It’s exactly the same effect like in this article

But like I said it only really visible on solid colors especially when scrolling articles with images.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia

Yes, a "dirty" inconsistency in flat colour is a complaint I've seen before.

Simoner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
I took a picture on solid grey to better illustrate the problem.
xdr_2.jpg

I also notice some visible banding
xdr_1.jpg

Just tried it with my XDR. No issues whatsoever with any of the tests. Especially liked the results of the Angle Test. My Gama result was 1.7 for anyone else doing the test.
Could you please take a picture how the gradient test looks on your display.

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
I took a picture on solid grey to better illustrate the problem.
View attachment 895811

I also notice some visible bending
View attachment 895812

Could you please take a picture how the gradient test looks on your display.

Yikes, that looks pretty bad. I think there's something wrong there. I assume you're on the latest MacOS, correct? I recall someone posting some odd issues and they weren't on 10.15.2; that's the minimum version of MacOS required for this display.

Simoner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Yikes, that looks pretty bad. I think there's something wrong there. I assume you're on the latest MacOS, correct? I recall someone posting some odd issues and they weren't on 10.15.2; that's the minimum version of MacOS required for this display.
I'm running the latest version 10.15.3 and the display is in the Pro Display XDR (P3-1600 nits) mode.

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
I'm running the latest version 10.15.3 and the display is in the Pro Display XDR (P3-1600 nits) mode.

I think you've got a bad display; I'd suggest a return. I have two and neither look anything like that, in any mode I've set them to. Bummer that you have to do a return as I'm sure you've waited a long time to get one!

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
@Simoner A couple of other questions: What computer are you attaching your ProDisplay to? I assume you're using the thunderbolt cable that came with the ProDisplay?

Last edited:

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
A couple of other questions: What computer are you attaching your ProDisplay to? I assume you're using the thunderbolt cable that came with the ProDisplay?
That's a great question to ask. I have the XDR supplied cable fed directly into a Pro Vega II Duo Card and it is the only monitor attached.

Simoner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
A couple of other questions: What computer are you attaching your ProDisplay to? I assume you're using the thunderbolt cable that came with the ProDisplay?
2018 MacBook Pro 15in with Radeon Pro 560X directly connected using supplied cable. Do you think it's a GPU issue? It will be at least a week until my Mac Pro arrives so I can't really check it with anything other than iMac with Thunderbolt 2.

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
2018 MacBook Pro 15in with Radeon Pro 560X directly connected using supplied cable. Do you think it's a GPU issue? It will be at least a week until my Mac Pro arrives so I can't really check it with anything other than iMac with Thunderbolt 2.

Do you have anything else plugged in to the MBP USB-C ports? If so, try it with just the ProDisplay only connected. I'd also try it on opposite sides of the laptop; I seem to recall that they are on different TB buses. Finally, are you trying with the laptop lid open and driving the built-in display as well?

Simoner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Do you have anything else plugged in to the MBP USB-C ports? If so, try it with just the ProDisplay only connected. I'd also try it on opposite sides of the laptop; I seem to recall that they are on different TB buses. Finally, are you trying with the laptop lid open and driving the built-in display as well?
I dropped the resolution and now it looks a whole lot better. Although there is still some issue with color uniformity.
Gradients_6K.jpg

Gradients_Lower_Res.jpg

White75% Grey50% Grey25% Grey
White.jpg
75_Grey.jpg
50_Grey.jpg
25_Grey.jpg

Last edited:

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
Reactions: vel0city and OkiRun

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I have seen it several times in the store and it was what eventually steered me and a colleague away from the Nano version, it was unbearable!

/Edit: Ok I see you guys are discussing something completely different, sorry.

Last edited:

simonnelli

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
I also have problems with uniformity as @Simoner described with my Nano XDR on solid colors. Additionally the right upper corner is darker as the rest (confirmed by measuring with a colorimeter).

I’ve already arranged a replacement with Apple, tried to negotiate for a replacement in advance (so I’m not without screen), but Apple wouldn’t do this but promised a replacement in 5 business days. The day the defect XDR was scheduled for pick up, I’ve got a call from Apple that the replacement would take at least until mid March so I refused to send out the display and am waiting for new information from Apple.
Very disappointed for such a expensive display (uniformity) and the way replacements are handled. I assumed this would be handled better with Apple Care+
If the replacement shows similar problems with uniformity I’ll consider a return and will get a NEC or EIZO with digital uniformity control.

Reactions: simonmet

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
The uniformity issue is one of XDR's issue and it's really hard to admit that Apple advertised as a professional monitor with this quality.

I've had zero uniformity issues with my two nano XDR's. I've yet to see a real review that claims this to be a problem at least in normal use and not when pushing it to make minor issues seem more apparent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.