Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Make sure both displays are set to the same profile, too. You can have them on different color profiles and that will obviously make things look different, although I assume you've already eliminated this as an issue.
This is soo odd- I noticed that the difference in look changes depending on which screen is set to the main display! Both have the exact same settings and I did the reset as you suggested!

Or maybe this is something that has only to do with the screensaver? Like apple tuned them to not look identical if you have two screens side by side? I have no real other way to test this properly..

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
I have the dirty screen issue as well. For those of you doing exchanges, are you bringing the display into the store with a Genius Bar appointment or somehow doing an exchange via mail? I'd really prefer the latter if possible as it is a real pain to bring the display into the store, convince the Tech that there really is a problem, etc. If you did go via mail in, can you please explain the process? Were you able to get an advanced replacement? I do have AppleCare on the display.

thosmatthews

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2021
Apple arranged collections for my faulty series of PDXDRs, but wouldn’t provide a replacement until I sent back the faulty unit. Quite frustrating for me but I do understand that they don’t want to do that.

I’m in the UK, so it may be different elsewhere.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
This is soo odd- I noticed that the difference in look changes depending on which screen is set to the main display! Both have the exact same settings and I did the reset as you suggested!

Curious if that phenomena changes depending on whether you have displays as separate spaces enabled or not… and do the displays have ambient light sensors you can disable?

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Curious if that phenomena changes depending on whether you have displays as separate spaces enabled or not… and do the displays have ambient light sensors you can disable?
Interesting- I need to check when I’m back from holiday. I had to turn on “use separate spaces” indeed for the first time in my life because of the super annoying bug that otherwise renders after effects unusable on the Mac Studio m2. Maybe it has to do with that… auto brightness is turned off of course.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Interesting- I need to check when I’m back from holiday. I had to turn on “use separate spaces” indeed for the first time in my life because of the super annoying bug that otherwise renders after effects unusable on the Mac Studio m2. Maybe it has to do with that… auto brightness is turned off of course.

with auto brightness off, I‘d be looking to see if auto colour temperature was active (not knowing what the XDR actually does auto-wise).

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
with auto brightness off, I‘d be looking to see if auto colour temperature was active (not knowing what the XDR actually does auto-wise).
No, that was off of course too… it really seems more to be a “feature” to differentiate the two screens depending on which one is set to primary..

Anyway I’m now looking into a solution to calibrate the XDR and saw that Calman is offering some solution on their YouTube channel (despite Apple not listing them officially). I just don’t understand which software to use.. they have different offerings that range from a few hundreds to a few thousands bucks.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
I have the dirty screen issue as well. For those of you doing exchanges, are you bringing the display into the store with a Genius Bar appointment or somehow doing an exchange via mail? I'd really prefer the latter if possible as it is a real pain to bring the display into the store, convince the Tech that there really is a problem, etc. If you did go via mail in, can you please explain the process? Were you able to get an advanced replacement? I do have AppleCare on the display.
After a long call with AppleCare, they told me I had to bring the display into the store so I have a Genius Bar appt for today. Attached are some pictures I took with my iPhone 13 Pro to show the Genius. I'm concerned that at the appt they are going to "not see" the issue and refuse taking it in for repair. Anyone who's been to an Apple Store knows how bright those stores are and it's impossible to see these kinds of issues especially given they only show up when the display is set to < 50% brightness. I know the phone is not optimal to represent the issue but do people objectively see issues with my display? I see bright bars around the edges and in the center, and dark bands when scrolling with a white background. The YouTube video posted in this thread was very definitive for me. Wondering if I am being too critical.

I am connecting my 2021 14" MBP with a Thunderbolt cable. I have the standard glass Pro Display XDR.

Attachments

• tempImageETizq7.png
    tempImageETizq7.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 116
  • tempImageeicXGY.png
    tempImageeicXGY.png
    2 MB · Views: 113
  • tempImagepqWgXz.png
    tempImagepqWgXz.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:

toniwonkanobi

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2018
Northern California
I've exchanged my nano-texture twice now. Both times, Apple made me take it in to the store, which is like an hour away, and was kind of a time-suck. It's hard convincing the tech that the problem is there. I just got my third display, and the DSE is worse than the second one, but better than the first by a bit. I really wish I could just mail it in for exchange.

toniwonkanobi

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2018
Northern California
After a long call with AppleCare, they told me I had to bring the display into the store so I have a Genius Bar appt for today. Attached are some pictures I took with my iPhone 13 Pro to show the Genius. I'm concerned that at the appt they are going to "not see" the issue and refuse taking it in for repair. Anyone who's been to an Apple Store knows how bright those stores are and it's impossible to see these kinds of issues especially given they only show up when the display is set to < 50% brightness. I know the phone is not optimal to represent the issue but do people objectively see issues with my display? I see bright bars around the edges and in the center, and dark bands when scrolling with a white background. The YouTube video posted in this thread was very definitive for me. Wondering if I am being too critical.

I am connecting my 2021 14" MBP with a Thunderbolt cable. I have the standard glass Pro Display XDR.

>Wondering if I am being too critical.

I for sure see the vertical banding. But I am so critical now too. I'm like looking for it. I compared it to my wife's nano-texture Studio Display, and the nano-texture Studio Display in the Apple store, and they do *not* exhibit DSE. It's just the nano-texture XDR's.

> I'm concerned that at the appt they are going to "not see" the issue and refuse taking it in for repair.

Precisely. See my previous comment. It was *so* hard to get them to believe me. Two separate technicians (and IMO, the entire Genius management team at the Broadway Plaza store in Walnut Creek, CA) basically decided that there was no issue. My pregnant wife had to call Apple Support and complain on my behalf in order to get them to exchange the display.

Picked up the third one yesterday. And it too has DSE worse than the second one (lol). Considering taking it to another Apple Retail Store, just because I don't think Broadway Plaza is going to deal with me again. Sigh.

yugioh5d

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2015
I got the nano version. The screen uniformity seems ok, but I noticed all sides of the screen seems to be darker or shadowy (especially the left side and the bottom). The screen brightness sits at 5 level, no true tone. I tested on 50% grey, 75% grey and one white wallpaper. Thoughts?

Attachments

• on white.jpg
    on white.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 50 grey.jpg
    50 grey.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 75 grey.jpg
    75 grey.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 48

toniwonkanobi

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2018
Northern California
I got the nano version. The screen uniformity seems ok, but I noticed all sides of the screen seems to be darker or shadowy (especially the left side and the bottom). The screen brightness sits at 5 level, no true tone. I tested on 50% grey, 75% grey and one white wallpaper. Thoughts?
Yeah, seems pretty much "par for the course" for these displays. I would still take an XDR over a Studio Display, but I don't have a problem lighting money on fire, it seems. I really would not recommend the XDR in nano texture though. Seems like the pro's of the anti-glare really aren't worth the cons, which are at best, a crapshoot as to whether it will have the DSE or not.

thosmatthews

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2021
When you’re paying 5-6k for a screen I just don’t think that non-uniformity is okay. I went through 4 units in 2023 and this week settled on a Studio Display. It’ll do me for a few years until the XDR either sorts itself out or gets updated.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
When you’re paying 5-6k for a screen I just don’t think that non-uniformity is okay. I went through 4 units in 2023 and this week settled on a Studio Display. It’ll do me for a few years until the XDR either sorts itself out or gets updated.

That's why folks buy EIZO, and even BenQ (though their firmware is written by idiots) for photography.

toniwonkanobi

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2018
Northern California
Oh for sure man. I don't disagree. Still, it is what it is. I don't think I could get the local Apple Store to do another exchange at this point. I'm just living with it. It really is kind of stupid though. It's like paying Dr. Apa dental prices for Western Dental services. My wife has the nano Studio Display, and when I help her with something, I really feel constrained compared to the XDR 😅

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
Some of what's reported here as non-unformity is just a function of the viewing distance. You can't sit as close to a 32" display as you can a 27" display and even the Eizo and BenQ displays will show what looks like a fall-off towards the edges just due to the incident angles of viewing on the pixels. I have some of these other displays, so I know it happens. The nano surface does exacerbate this; I also have both nano and non-nano versions of the XDR and Studio Displays. It would be nice if Apple could figure out how to solve that problem and maybe they will in a next-generation display. Until then, I personally just don't like seeing the pixels on a 4K display, and find that much more annoying than the tiny bit of "dirty screen" effect from the nano coating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.