Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SMC23

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
Unfortunately looks like I also have an issue with this new XDR display’s uniformity that I just received. I knew this issue existed going in with this significant large investment, but I can’t help but notice the right side of my display seems darker on the edge compared to the left side. I also see this very faint vertical bar on the right side that is quite the annoyance.

Overall, im quite disappointed in the product but I will try my hand at a second one as I love the design and resolution of the monitor. Hopefully the new one is much better otherwise they all going back!

Attachments

• 9589F377-2D29-4FE4-AA15-DC7A36FFC9C9.jpeg
    9589F377-2D29-4FE4-AA15-DC7A36FFC9C9.jpeg
    249.9 KB · Views: 389

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2021
Unfortunately looks like I also have an issue with this new XDR display’s uniformity that I just received. I knew this issue existed going in with this significant large investment, but I can’t help but notice the right side of my display seems darker on the edge compared to the left side. I also see this very faint vertical bar on the right side that is quite the annoyance.

Overall, im quite disappointed in the product but I will try my hand at a second one as I love the design and resolution of the monitor. Hopefully the new one is much better otherwise they all going back!
Nice, plz report to us if the new one are better!

wilderness1

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2021
I am having a similar issue with a brand new Apple XDR Pro Display. The first display I received had a few dark spots and bad uniformity. I got a replacement – and while the dark spots are gone, there's noticeable vertical banding mostly on the right side on the display.

The panel seems to be pretty trash. Should I try for a third replacement?

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2021
I am having a similar issue with a brand new Apple XDR Pro Display. The first display I received had a few dark spots and bad uniformity. I got a replacement – and while the dark spots are gone, there's noticeable vertical banding mostly on the right side on the display.

The panel seems to be pretty trash. Should I try for a third replacement?
Yes try this and report please.

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2021
Yes look here:

wilderness1

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2021
does anyone else have this weird dim spot at the bottom near the center? I know DSE is normal in IPS LCD's, but im not sure what this is.

WOW I had this same problem with my first Apple XDR Pro Display.
I returned it and got another one, and now I'm having bad uniformity issues (vertical banding).

wilderness1

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2021
Just received my second replacement (third XDR display) and the 'dirty screen effect' issue has been resolved. This panel appears to be much, much better than the previous two.

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2021
That's interesting, so will also request a repair or replace. Can u make some image and show us the differences?

Oeli83

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2022
I have the same problems with the XDR display and its illumination. I am very desperate and have already received the third display as an exchange. I wonder if this problem is worse on the NANO than on the Glossy version

C91EB445-07FA-4622-9A10-61D0DB258271.jpeg

Attachments

• D4C80191-3BF7-449E-80D3-EB04FBB77460.jpeg
    D4C80191-3BF7-449E-80D3-EB04FBB77460.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 244
  • 3CDC2FF8-CA94-4E24-9FE5-9D06594A1D2F.jpeg
    3CDC2FF8-CA94-4E24-9FE5-9D06594A1D2F.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 280

Oeli83

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2022
can someone tell me if this problem only with the nano or also with the glossy texture?

SMC23

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
Despite really loving the XDR design, it’s size and resolution, unfortunately I had to return all three I went through as I just couldn’t stand the screens uniformity. All had some form of issue with uniformity. Grey and white backgrounds were noticeable and distracting for me. You could easily see backlight inconsistency and the screen door effect is really annoying. I really wanted to find one that was acceptable but couldn’t.

For such a high cost I think the screen uniformity quality needs to be better addressed. I will certainly look forward to the next gen XDR and hopefully they improve on this as it’s an awesome display overall.

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2021
But wich Monitor can we buy? there are no other 6k 32Inch out there :( When u connect a 4k Monitor from Dell or other u have another problems witch are more bad like this ones we have with the xdr:

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
But wich Monitor can we buy? there are no other 6k 32Inch out there :( When u connect a 4k Monitor from Dell or other u have another problems witch are more bad like this ones we have with the xdr:

at ~32" a 4k monitor at 1x shouldn't be *bad* scaling-wise - and for the money Apple is charging, you can probably get an EIZO DCI4k screen, which will likely wipe the floor with the XDR from a consistency and accuracy perspective, and will automatically calibrate itself.

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2021
Yes but did u self test this with an M1 Mac ? The text looks horrible when there is no HiDPI.

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2021
Why would text on an M1 look any different to on an Intel mac when using standard dpi?
Don't know why, but u can read this thread:

Also an customer from me got the issue with an DELL 49inch using with M1 Mini

I test this by my self with connecting to an LG C1 48 inch OLED, no way to work with them when u compare this to an XDR 32 with 4k HiDPI

Last edited:

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Yea this is actually crazy. I'm sitting in the same office with iknowreview who made the video, so I've seen the effect first hand. A colleague of his actually had the same effect. I myself also have two XDR Displays that we bought at the same time (funny- that's actually how we met- staring at the nano texture version in the apple store and discussing which was superior, glossy vs nano) and my displays both are fine.

Reactions: AironMan

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2021
Yea this is actually crazy. I'm sitting in the same office with iknowreview who made the video, so I've seen the effect first hand. A colleague of his actually had the same effect. I myself also have two XDR Displays that we bought at the same time (funny- that's actually how we met- staring at the nano texture version in the apple store and discussing which was superior, glossy vs nano) and my displays both are fine.
Thanks for ure respond, so when ure display is fine, this is a hardware issue and i will contact apple to replace the xdd so many time till my is also with a no dirty screen effect! Ich schreibe dich auch noch per PM an :)

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
I just noticed this vertical darkish line on the left side of my XDR that stretches from the top to the bottom of the display. The line is about an inch and a half wide and is completely straight. While the right side of the screen certainly has some vignetting, there is not the same visible line.

I can only see the line on greyish or blue backgrounds. I actually noticed it while zoomed into the sky on a large panorama image I was editing.

Interestingly, from reviewing the other images posted in this thread, I think I can see a similar line in exactly the same place showing on some forum members' screens. However, given these are just photographs, it's hard to tell.

What are your thoughts? Does this look particularly bad to your eyes?

I am considering (although dreading) going through the replacement process now.

Please see the attached images; one attachment has a red box drawn around the darkish line.

Attachments

• IMG_4336.jpeg
    IMG_4336.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_4336 copy.jpeg
    IMG_4336 copy.jpeg
    299.4 KB · Views: 151
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.