Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
I could not find a forum for the XDR. I must be blind or there's isn't one.

XDR and Stand out for delivery via FedEx. I'm at home waiting. The regular FedEx driver shows up at approximately 2:30pm. We know each other and have a short conversation. He says the items will more than likely arrive later since they are not on his truck. At around 4pm, I check the update and find "Package Refused". After hours on the phone with both Apple and FedEx no answer since it's the end of the day.

The following morning, Apple says FedEx should reattempt delivery. I get a hold of the FedEx warehouse and the rep says, I am staring at the box and will get it to your regular driver. The FedEx rep refused to believe the driver never showed up or went to the wrong address. Would not provide details as to who refused delivery. Later that day, I log on to check the status. It shows the stand is out for delivery, but the XDR as returned.

Both Apple and FedEx open investigations. Apple is very apologetic and says they've already arranged to have another XDR sent to me. The next day I log in to check the status, but there is no mention of an XDR on order. I call Apple and the rep says I received incorrect information. Since Apple opened an investigation, Apple will not initiate any action (ship a new XDR) until the case is complete which will take 6 days.

I call my credit card company. Explain I never received the order and provided tracking proof of the item going back to China. Money refunded. New XDR is on its way.

Let's see what happens with the Mac Pro that is scheduled for delivery in 2 days.

s66

Suspended
Dec 12, 2016
Our XDRs came in January. They were delivered perfectly on time and in perfect condition. The (huge) truck that delivered them came from an airport over 200 km (~125 miles) directly to us with nothing else in it but the XDRs and their stands.
The trucking company they hired handled that delivery splendidly. The boxes were shrink-wrapped onto pallets with the shipping info all the way from the factory to us.
Not the most environmentally sane method of delivery to be honest, but perfect in every other aspect.

The MP7,1s that came about a month or so later (ordered them with wheels - cost a month extra). They left the factory about a day apart, one came with UPS, the other with DHL.
UPS: outer box was badly damaged - huge tears, bad crush on one corner. Even the inner box had a significant dent in one corner.
DHL: box was in pristine condition

Those who've never seen such boxes: they have significant amounts of foam between the outer and inner boxes to cushion things. The boxes weigh about as much as the computer inside. The inner boxes are VERY, VERY sturdy so getting a corner pushed in is not something that happens easily.

So for European destinations: DHL rocks. Even if you cannot track it between China and till it is handled in Europe - but it's a lot more reassuring to get a machine that's not been abused during shipping.

If only Apple would scrap UPS as a delivery option for their expensive devices in Europe...

Last edited:

DesertNomad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Nevada
If only Apple would scrap UPS as a delivery option for their expensive devices in Europe...

And the US too. My XDR shipped to the US had a big tear in the outer box but the interior box was ok. The stand box had a small dent even in the inner box. I have never had this problem with FedEx.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
UPS and FedEx have both failed delivery on large items for me in the past, although UPS seems to be more problematic. Their support is worse than FedEx from my findings, when a package is lost it takes a long time for them to resolve it. I got a Mac mini once from UPS and the box was shredded and drenched, I promptly returned it because there was no way I was going to accept a brand new computer in that condition. Replacement was fine.

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
Took the day off from work. When I checked the tracking status this morning it changed to "Delayed". In the tracking notes it states, "We are unable to load the package on the plane as scheduled." Not that the packages is sent 2nd Day Air.

I'm on the phone with UPS now and I cannot get a clear answer. A reoccurring question is if I have a UPS account. Unsure how that would help. I requested to speak to a supervisor and when I got to the supervisor, I discovered a new twist. The supervisor acts as an intermediary with a manager via chat. So any question I pose to the supervisor, they type it out and send it to a manager. Unfortunately, the supervisor does not have any authority. When I ask to speak to the manager, the supervisor said it would be a long wait and that he has to answer other calls. Time to ring Apple.

I just hope the package arrives tomorrow after I've return from work.

s66

Suspended
Dec 12, 2016
Since the question is marked as MP7,1, can we assume it is connected to a Mac Pro 2019 running the latest macOS version, using the cable included with the XDR (2m long back braided TB3 cable - active) onto an Apple MPX module ?

Or do we need to allow for unsupported machines, 3rd party graphic cards, or 3rd party cables that might complicate things a lot ?

Why do I ask this ?
Well: an XDR at full-tilt brightness is blindingly bright in my experience even for non-HDR content.
It really hurts my eyes to watch it that bright and I would never even consider using it that way.
Now I understand some people with limited eyesight or a setup in direct sunlight or so might want a brighter than normal display. Still an XDR is not dimly lit in any way in my experience.

Last edited:

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
Mac Pro arrived. One day late. Thankfully, our regular UPS driver delivered it so he knew to ring me as he approached the property to make sure I was at home. Packaging box is in excellent condition with no dents or tears. Mac Pro is still in the box, unopened. Awaiting all the remaining add-ons. Monitor should be here in 2 days.

Reactions: OkiRun

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
Mac Pro arrived. One day late. Thankfully, our regular UPS driver delivered it so he knew to ring me as he approached the property to make sure I was at home. Packaging box is in excellent condition with no dents or tears. Mac Pro is still in the box, unopened. Awaiting all the remaining add-ons. Monitor should be here in 2 days.
Looking forward to adding to your signature? :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.