Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
If you look *really* closely you can see it. But you have to be looking for it. It's much more noticeable if you compare it to a glossy screen right next to it. I would say that for the first 24-48 hours I wasn't sure I loved it either, but now I don't notice or care except when glance back and forth between my LG UltraFine and the nano. Once there's two nanos that will be...never.

You will never know until you know from use in your location. The fact that you keep gravitating to the nano when you see it in the store--next to the glossy--tells me that you won't mind it at all after a day or two of use.
I'm just wondering, maybe I should save the 2000 $ on the potential two displays and put it into a blackmagic teranex io solution to properly control one of the displays and get davinci fullscreen support, and put the other 1k towards SSDs.
Just not sure if it's gonna be worth it for me.
Yes, in the store I find myself standing in front of the Nano more, just because I find the look it gives to videos quite fascinating.
I think that the time I spent in the store was too short for the eye to get used to the pattern, and also of course I was going back and forth between nano and glossy.
My viewing distance is pretty much exactly 55cm right now as I'm looking on this website, which is full of white. Are you sitting further away maybe?

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
I'm just wondering, maybe I should save the 2000 $ on the potential two displays and put it into a blackmagic teranex io solution to properly control one of the displays and get davinci fullscreen support, and put the other 1k towards SSDs.
Just not sure if it's gonna be worth it for me.
Yes, in the store I find myself standing in front of the Nano more, just because I find the look it gives to videos quite fascinating.
I think that the time I spent in the store was too short for the eye to get used to the pattern, and also of course I was going back and forth between nano and glossy.
My viewing distance is pretty much exactly 55cm right now as I'm looking on this website, which is full of white. Are you sitting further away maybe?

I'm generally between 60-70cm from the screen. Hard to sit closer to an 80cm screen!

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I'm generally between 60-70cm from the screen. Hard to sit closer to an 80cm screen!
Hm, yea maybe Ill have to move the new display further back, though that might be a bit of a problem with my current table. Will have to see how it plays out but I worry I'll be close enough to see this noise!

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
Hm, yea maybe Ill have to move the new display further back, though that might be a bit of a problem with my current table. Will have to see how it plays out but I worry I'll be close enough to see this noise!

Technically for a recommended "cinema" viewing distance you would want to be about 1m from a 32" screen. I find that anything closer than 60cm and I'm tilting my head a lot to see the whole screen. It seems that 70-80cm is ideal, and at that difference I can't see the slight softening of the text from the nano etching.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Technically for a recommended "cinema" viewing distance you would want to be about 1m from a 32" screen. I find that anything closer than 60cm and I'm tilting my head a lot to see the whole screen. It seems that 70-80cm is ideal, and at that difference I can't see the slight softening of the text from the nano etching.
h, right now I'm sitting like 78cm away (obviously it depends on my seating position) and I'm not as worried about the text crispness, as I think this is part of the look and appeal of the screen, I'm only worried about the noise pattern on white surfaces..

Philllllip

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2014
Hi, Well today I received my Nano!! and then also received my Mac Pro! So been rather busy! First impressions of the Nano is that its AMAZING, the size, resolution, colour, brightness, etc..... But then I started VERY quickly to notice the black text on white background 'fuzziness' and did not like it at all after being used to glossy for so long. It's like it's lower res and you need to wipe the screen to make it clear almost. Funny thing is on my white background photos that I shoot it no problem at all, just some website like this one in light mode where it can look a bit rough. I decided to stick with it and not to be easy in sending back for the glossy. Well, very glad I waited..After looking at pics and movies I am blown away at how stunning it is, NO reflections, blacks are BLACK. Then I realised that actually the white problem is better if you have it on full brightness in daylight plus if you go into dark mode then the problem pretty much vanishes. Typing this in dark mode and text looks sharp and clear. Calendar was the worse offender for me in light mode as it all looked just bit fuzzy as did my previous 30 inch Matte apple years ago. Dark mode saved the day for me. Photos look like printed on the screen with no annoying reflections. VERY VERY VERY happy with it. So prepare yourself for a little adjustment time is my advice and you will be amazed :). Mac Pro is pretty awesome also but NOT completely silent as everyone Makes it out to be. There is a constant low fan hum going on. Not an issue but still.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Hi, Well today I received my Nano!! and then also received my Mac Pro! So been rather busy! First impressions of the Nano is that its AMAZING, the size, resolution, colour, brightness, etc..... But then I started VERY quickly to notice the black text on white background 'fuzziness' and did not like it at all after being used to glossy for so long. It's like it's lower res and you need to wipe the screen to make it clear almost. Funny thing is on my white background photos that I shoot it no problem at all, just some website like this one in light mode where it can look a bit rough. I decided to stick with it and not to be easy in sending back for the glossy. Well, very glad I waited..After looking at pics and movies I am blown away at how stunning it is, NO reflections, blacks are BLACK. Then I realised that actually the white problem is better if you have it on full brightness in daylight plus if you go into dark mode then the problem pretty much vanishes. Typing this in dark mode and text looks sharp and clear. Calendar was the worse offender for me in light mode as it all looked just bit fuzzy as did my previous 30 inch Matte apple years ago. Dark mode saved the day for me. Photos look like printed on the screen with no annoying reflections. VERY VERY VERY happy with it. So prepare yourself for a little adjustment time is my advice and you will be amazed :). Mac Pro is pretty awesome also but NOT completely silent as everyone Makes it out to be. There is a constant low fan hum going on. Not an issue but still.
Thanks for the report, please report again how you feel tomorrow ;)
I noticed in the store exactly what you're describing, calendar, and NOTES were the worst for me. But also mail actually.

In dark mode, everything looks perfect, and that's how they present it in the store as well...

What do you mean "Funny thing is on my white background photos that I shoot it no problem at all" ?

I'm not sure if I'm prepared to always live in dark mode now, only to enjoy the matte texture... not the biggest fan of dark mode.

But yea, the initial impression of the nano is like WOW, how is this even possible, I know.. just after a while it started to bug me :D

Philllllip

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2014
I shoot loads of photos of families on white backgrounds and the white looks fine not too "dirty" really at all but only notice the problem really on things like calendar ( with text ) in light mode. Trying to get used to dark mode for now. Would of liked to be able to compare the glossy and nano here side by side. But I know that the lack of reflections make it a winner. Spending SO much on a screen I think it needs something extra special and the Nano does that superbly

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I shoot loads of photos of families on white backgrounds and the white looks fine not too "dirty" really at all but only notice the problem really on things like calendar ( with text ) in light mode. Trying to get used to dark mode for now. Would of liked to be able to compare the glossy and nano here side by side. But I know that the lack of reflections make it a winner. Spending SO much on a screen I think it needs something extra special and the Nano does that superbly
Can I see what kind of reflections you were battling?

mason.smith1975

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2012
What profile should I use for normal home and office setup? I tried the `Pro Display XDR (P3-1600 nits)` but there's a weird green border around the cursor (will take pic when I get home) so I had to switch to `Apple Display (P3-500 nits)`.

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
What profile should I use for normal home and office setup? I tried the `Pro Display XDR (P3-1600 nits)` but there's a weird green border around the cursor (will take pic when I get home) so I had to switch to `Apple Display (P3-500 nits)`.

Odd. I like mine set that the 1600 nits profile right now, and I never see any color/halo/border on the cursor.

What computer are you using the XDR on? Graphics card?

mason.smith1975

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2012
Odd. I like mine set that the 1600 nits profile right now, and I never see any color/halo/border on the cursor.

What computer are you using the XDR on? Graphics card?

I'm using a maxed out MBP 16". Will try again tonight. Good to know it works for you

mason.smith1975

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2012
Not sure if you can tell from the pic but the border around the cursor is very bright blue in real life, as opposed to normal white in P3-500 nits mode.
IMG_1397.jpeg

Reactions: nikster0029

Philllllip

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2014
Well here is the final set up! PLEASE why Apple can't they make a thunderbolt cable just another metre longer!! Have the wire showing out of the vback of my XDR cos won't stretch thru the back hole and down to the floor! Ah well, can't see it when I sit down.

Check out the reflections on the 16 MBP! Not a thing on my Nano whichever way I put it! :)

Attachments

• IMG_3096.jpg
    IMG_3096.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 508

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Not sure if you can tell from the pic but the border around the cursor is very bright blue in real life, as opposed to normal white in P3-500 nits mode.
View attachment 890962
Oh my god that Nano coating. I'm really worried that I won't be able to look at this for sustained periods of time. And why is your cursor so blue?? :D
[automerge]1580209754[/automerge]
Well here is the final set up! PLEASE why Apple can't they make a thunderbolt cable just another metre longer!! Have the wire showing out of the vback of my XDR cos won't stretch thru the back hole and down to the floor! Ah well, can't see it when I sit down.

Check out the reflections on the 16 MBP! Not a thing on my Nano whichever way I put it! :)
Nice! How do you feel about the noise pattern today?

Philllllip

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2014
No blue cursors here. I am generally fine with the nano pattern ( however I do prefer reading on glossy screen ). It's a keeper!! My room has lots of spotlights in the ceiling and some glass on the opposite side of my window so reflections and lights were all over in daytime and night with lights on. Was fine on glossy iMac in the evening with all the lights off. But now ANYTIME is a good time :cool:

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
View attachment 890962

I tested this today on my MBP 16" with the new beta release of Catalina--10.15.3 and it appears that they have fixed the driver bug that caused the blue issue as I can't make it happen at all now.

Reactions: apple2me

straightMacin

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2019
Chicago, IL

Nice setup! What desk is that?

mason.smith1975

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2012
I tested this today on my MBP 16" with the new beta release of Catalina--10.15.3 and it appears that they have fixed the driver bug that caused the blue issue as I can't make it happen at all now.
Thank you! I'll update after work today. The official 10.15.3 just came out btw.

Philllllip

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2014
Oh my god that Nano coating. I'm really worried that I won't be able to look at this for sustained periods of time. And why is your cursor so blue?? :D
[automerge]1580209754[/automerge]

Nice! How do you feel about the noise pattern today?

Happy to report that my eyes have now got fully used to the text on white slight fuzziness and looks great again, so much so that I have now taken off dark mode :) I find light mode much nicer as it illuminates the keyboard in front of the screen at night so you can see what your actually typing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.