Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I'm not sure if the higher resolutions will be available depending on what video card you are running. In any case the resolutions I see available are:

6016 x 3384
3008 x 1692 (DEFAULT)
2560 x 1440
1920 x 1080
1504 x 846
1280 x 720

Each of these can also be selected but in low resolution mode
The 3008x1692 HiDPI/Retina mode is the most efficient because it uses the native 6016x3384 resolution.

You should be able to add HiDPI modes between 3008x3384 and 6016x3384. To add a 3840x2160 HiDPI mode, you need to add a 7680x4320 scaled mode. Probably the largest will be 4096x2304 HiDPI (8192x6408) because 8192 is the max allowed scaled width for single connection mode (HBR2 DSC Navi). If your GPU is not Navi and is using dual connection mode (dual HBR3), then the max width might be something like 14K.

Reactions: Amethyst1

wifi_guy

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2020
Good Morning all, wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction on this one. I have the Mac Pro with the XDR display. I also have a linux machine that I use for gaming. I am looking for a KVM that will work with both the Mac Pro and XDR? Anyone see anyone successfully doing this?

henrymyf

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2015
Personally I wouldn't put a nano and a regular side by side as I think the difference will be very noticeable and probably not in an enjoyable way. In regular use the difference is so subtle that you soon forget about it. Even when I walk across the hall I can't really tell a big difference, other than seeing some tiny reflections on the regular one. However, side by side they do like noticeably different. If I were in your position I would get a second nano to put next to the existing nano.
I agree. You wouldn't want to mix displays especially if the client is yourself.

The only time you would want different display types is because you are mastering in your chosen display. But then checking on the output of your work on a separate display that your client will be viewing from.

In my case, I am mastering in an XDR but I have a "regular" off-the-shelf display that shows me how it may look for others that don't have the same calibrated monitor.

You began with a Nano and you would want to stick with that for visual uniformity.
Thank you both for the clear answer. I will keep thinking about my options. But definetely, I won't let putting a regular XDR next to my current nano XDR be an option now. I think one option is to spend all of my budget on a higher-spec Mac Pro and keep the ACD 30 as my second screen, since it still works just fine. In this case, no new XDR is gonna be added. But I still have about two months' time so it's no hurry to decide.

PhatBoyG

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Good Morning all, wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction on this one. I have the Mac Pro with the XDR display. I also have a linux machine that I use for gaming. I am looking for a KVM that will work with both the Mac Pro and XDR? Anyone see anyone successfully doing this?

If you look at my earlier post, I doubt it is possible as you need different cables. The gaming PC would need a USB-C out on the video card, I know it works with the RTX-2080 Ti (and likely other RTX cards with the USB-C VirtualLink output).

The Mac Pro uses a Thunderbolt 3 cable, directly from the display adapter port to get full bandwidth (in my case, I saw that the bandwidth for USB 3.1 wasn't available on the case TB3 ports - but my W5700X has DSC, which other adapters may not support).

So I have two cables and just swap them out on the back of the display when it is gaming time.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
KVM example (using Navi based GPU which only requires only one DisplayPort HBR2 signal with DSC for 6K)

Later suggestion was to use Belkin VR 2 cable to add USB 2.0 capability to XDR (for presets and brightness control):

Success with Belkin VR 2 cable mentioned at

Other methods to add USB-C to a computer:

Does Linux AMD Navi or Nvidia RTX or Intel Ice Lake GPU drivers support Display Stream Compression (DSC)?

Reactions: Executor

tanoanian

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2016
Cleaning the Monitor
This was a surprise.
Residue Present on XDR at Unboxing

Surprise wasn't quite the word I chose to describe all the glue on my first nano textured XDR. There was so much glue on the screen all it would do is smear around. I spent the hour and a half hold time with apple smearing glue around and getting no where. Apple replaced the display.

After a huge waste of my time and many expletives towards apple (there's still a cloud of profanity hanging over my office) I am very happy with the display. I'm in an extremely bright room and am impressed with the way the inky blacks of the nano textured glass sucks up bright sun light.

Attachments

• IMG_0249.JPG
    IMG_0249.JPG
    300.9 KB · Views: 369
Reactions: martyjmclean

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Surprise wasn't quite the word I chose to describe all the glue on my first nano textured XDR. There was so much glue on the screen all it would do is smear around. I spent the hour and a half hold time with apple smearing glue around and getting no where. Apple replaced the display.

So you worked to clean it off with the polishing cloth, and there was so much they just sent another? Did the second one have the same sticker, only less residue?

Someone replied previously suggesting mine was a repackage or something, were there any signs on your first one that this was the case?

My experience with the residue (glue?) was so weird, I’m glad to hear I am not the only one. I am tempted to write my business rep and just let them know it happened.

tanoanian

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2016
So you worked to clean it off with the polishing cloth, and there was so much they just sent another? Did the second one have the same sticker, only less residue?

Someone replied previously suggesting mine was a repackage or something, were there any signs on your first one that this was the case?

My experience with the residue (glue?) was so weird, I’m glad to hear I am not the only one. I am tempted to write my business rep and just let them know it happened.

The second display they sent had the same white sticker cover on the glass but left no residue. I couldn't tell that the first display had been repacked; however, that is a possibility. It was ridiculous how much glue was on the display.

Now that I think about it, the replacement display prompted me for a firmware update but the first gluey display did not.

It is possible someone had it and updated the firmware before returning it to apple. If that's the case it really sucks that apple is doing that with such an expensive item.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
It was ridiculous how much glue was on the display.

It is possible someone had it and updated the firmware before returning it to apple. If that's the case it really sucks that apple is doing that with such an expensive item.
An interesting theory, I had thought once an item was returned it became refurbished but maybe this is not correct. Curious if anyone is aware of Apple repackaging returned products as new.

Regardless, I agree. I think it is really odd that Apple would allow products to be delivered knowing they have this issue.

Since the quality and brilliance of the display is its primary value, it defies explanation why Apple would want your first experience looking at it to be a mix of “what’s wrong with the screen” and “how do I clean this without damaging it?”

VictorTango777

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
Is anyone actually using this monitor at the maximum 6016x3384 resolution? When I ran a 32 inch 4K monitor at the full 4K resolution, the tiny UI text and palette icons in applications like Pixelmator were unbearable.

Last edited:

Executor

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
NYC
Just got my glossy XDR display and it is running perfect with the Belkin VR cable and my trusty Mac Pro 5,1 with a Radeon VII. HDR is blindingly bright and the display is super sharp. Thank you to all the forum members that helped me along the way, if it wasn't for the Mac Rumors community I would not have attempted it.
IMG_1699.jpg

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Just got my glossy XDR display and it is running perfect with the Belkin VR cable and my trusty Mac Pro 5,1 with a Radeon VII. HDR is blindingly bright and the display is super sharp. Thank you to all the forum members that helped me along the way, if it wasn't for the Mac Rumors community I would not have attempted it.
You are not getting 6K with the Radeon VII though. Only 4K? Are you going to replace with a Navi GPU?

Executor

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
NYC
You are not getting 6K with the Radeon VII though. Only 4K? Are you going to replace with a Navi GPU?

Well, I wasn't expecting to, but it appears to be working at 6k. The system report indicates so, and when I use switchresX it allows me to select 6k and it works. If I am not reading this correctly I might get a Navi GPU.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 11.48.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 11.48.34 PM.png
    165.7 KB · Views: 184
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 11.50.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 11.50.38 PM.png
    302.4 KB · Views: 159
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 11.49.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 11.49.37 PM.png
    438.6 KB · Views: 177

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Well, I wasn't expecting to, but it appears to be working at 6k. The system report indicates so, and when I use switchresX it allows me to select 6k and it works. If I am not reading this correctly I might get a Navi GPU.
No where in macOS does it tell you what the output signal is. It only shows you framebuffer size and framebuffer pixel format (depth). Output resolution and pixel format can be totally different (for example, framebuffer pixel format might be 10bpc RGB but could output as YCbCr 4:2:0 to an HDMI TV). The framebuffer is scaled by the GPU to produce the output signal which in your case is probably 4K. You can find out using the AGDCDiagnose command or viewing the timing info in SwitchResX for the current resolution (double click the current resolution in the Current Resolutions tab for the display in SwitchResX). When you are actually outputting 6K, you'll notice how much less fuzzy it is.

Reactions: TomMuc and Executor

Executor

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
NYC
No where in macOS does it tell you what the output signal is. It only shows you framebuffer size and framebuffer pixel format (depth). Output resolution and pixel format can be totally different (for example, framebuffer pixel format might be 10bpc RGB but could output as YCbCr 4:2:0 to an HDMI TV). The framebuffer is scaled by the GPU to produce the output signal which in your case is probably 4K. You can find out using the AGDCDiagnose command or viewing the timing info in SwitchResX for the current resolution (double click the current resolution in the Current Resolutions tab for the display in SwitchResX). When you are actually outputting 6K, you'll notice how much less fuzzy it is.
Thank you for letting me know. Will switching to a Navi GPU make it even sharper then? it looked pretty good to my eyes already but if it can get better I will do it in a heartbeat. Here are the timings from switchresX (I think) please let me know if its actual 6K. Thanks for your help.

Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 12.11.30 AM.png

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
6K looks pretty good to me on my 27 inch 4K display (using 3008x1692 HiDPI scaled mode like you were) but 3008x1692 HiDPI mode (not scaled) on real 6K will look even better.

A Navi GPU will have Display Stream Compression (DSC) so you can get 6K with a single DisplayPort HBR2 connection.

To get 6K with the Radeon VII, which does not have (DSC), you need two DisplayPort HBR3 connections over Thunderbolt 3 - I don't think that's possible with current GC-TITAN RIDGE PCIe add-in card without a firmware patch but I don't think anyone's tried (a firmware patch is probably required because, ordinarily, a Titan Ridge controller will not allow two HBR3 connections - they would exceed the 40 Gbps bandwidth of Thunderbolt 3, but 6K does not require the full bandwidth of two HBR3 streams, and Thunderbolt does not transmit the DisplayPort stuffing symbols used to fill a DisplayPort stream so Apple made it work for Titan Ridge controllers in Macs and the Blackmagic eGPUs).

Reactions: Executor

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Is anyone using the teranex 8K SDI solution with the XDR for color grading purposes? I’m heavily considering it, but over at lift gamma gain forums they HATE the XDR without even having tested it personally. I’m very much in love with mine I have to say, just considering if that box is a worthy investment or not..

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Is anyone using the teranex 8K SDI solution with the XDR for color grading purposes? I’m heavily considering it, but over at lift gamma gain forums they HATE the XDR without even having tested it personally.
Thanks for the mention. I wasn't aware of these forums. Color / video professionals, please feel free to share links to discussion of the XDR elsewhere even if it is highly critical of the display. I added a link to this discussion to OP.

Useful XDR Info on the Web
I also added links to three HDR demo videos on youtube from an apparently revered HDR content producer, Eugene Belsky. I think his work was in one of the demo videos (perhaps the LG video) I found previously.

Demo Videos for your New XDR
As a further note, about a month into having the XDR, I really like this display. I do not think I'd even consider going back to a smaller 27 at this point. Still very happy with the product.

Last edited:

syndr0me

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
I know I said good things about the Logitech camera for the XDR, and it really is a nice device. But if you put any effort into proper lighting, it does weird things with exposure compensation. It's very apparent that it's a webcam when stretched even a little bit.

I had a GoPro Hero 6 and Elgato Cam Link 4K laying around from other projects, and decided to give them a go as a webcam since I spend an absurd amount of time in WebEx each day. They're working great together, and the picture is significantly improved, even with the GoPro's own quirks. Its stabilization does a nice job of absorbing desk vibrations though.

Anyway, not XDR specific by any means. There's a whole world out there beyond webcams now that everybody is a streamer. Since so much work is done via online meetings these days, to me, at least, it was worth improving my presence.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I know I said good things about the Logitech camera for the XDR, and it really is a nice device. But if you put any effort into proper lighting, it does weird things with exposure compensation. It's very apparent that it's a webcam when stretched even a little bit.
Since video streaming is becoming so important for professionals, looking professional matters.

If you read Gruber’s “how we shot” The WWDC 2020 remote interview, you can see how challenging it is to create professional video.

It would be cool if Apple put quality into a set of video conference products, but I see that as unlikely.

And unfortunately I don’t think logitech or any other peripherals company is going to deliver anything that wows.

Probably the best we can hope for are collaborations but I’m surprised that $200 camera’s video quality does not match the design quality.

Between the poor quality cameras in today’s MacBooks and this most recent effort, Apple seems to really have missed the mark in offering their non iOS device experiences quality video.

I kind of wonder why Apple doesn’t let you position your iPhone on top of the XDR and have some perfect link so It can act as a WebCam for macOS.

Last edited:

sofandi

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2010
Hi guys, been following this discussion closely and thinking about getting a Pro Display and using it alongside a 2020 13" Macbook Pro for ultimate portability and workspace at home. Maybe you could help me with a couple questions in this regard beforehand:

1.) It is stated in this thread that a 2020 13" Macbook Pro does drive the Pro Display. However, how does everyday use feel with regard to fluidity and scrolling and such? How taxing is it on the laptop when using programs such as InDesign, etc. in 6k resolution?
2.) I currently use a cloud gaming service called Shadow PC, which lets me game in 4k resolution. How does 4k scaled Windows look on the Pro Display? Is it fuzzy, unsharp or anything? Does somebody use games on the Pro Display in 4k scaled mode? I know this isn't the primary use-case for this kind of display, but I would still like to know.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys...

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Hi guys, been following this discussion closely and thinking about getting a Pro Display and using it alongside a 2020 13" Macbook Pro for ultimate portability and workspace at home. Maybe you could help me with a couple questions in this regard beforehand:

1.) It is stated in this thread that a 2020 13" Macbook Pro does drive the Pro Display. However, how does everyday use feel with regard to fluidity and scrolling and such? How taxing is it on the laptop when using programs such as InDesign, etc. in 6k resolution?
2.) I currently use a cloud gaming service called Shadow PC, which lets me game in 4k resolution. How does 4k scaled Windows look on the Pro Display? Is it fuzzy, unsharp or anything? Does somebody use games on the Pro Display in 4k scaled mode? I know this isn't the primary use-case for this kind of display, but I would still like to know.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys...
I don’t have the Pro display, but note that only the 2020 13” Pro with 4 Thunderbolt ports supports the Pro display. The base model with 2 ports can only drive up to a 5K display.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I don’t have the Pro display, but note that only the 2020 13” Pro with 4 Thunderbolt ports supports the Pro display. The base model with 2 ports can only drive up to a 5K display.
That's right. The requirement for 6K on the XDR from a laptop that only has Intel graphics is a 10th-generation CPU (Ice Lake which has gen 11 graphics). The base models have only 8th-generation CPU.

paulchiu

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2009
nyc
This is odd.
I unplugged my Mac Pro 2019 and Apple Pro Display XDR overnight to upgrade a router and UPS.
Upon startup, pop-up told me to upgrade the firmware on my Apple Pro Display XDR.

The current version now is 3.3.23 but this was released back in March.
Is there something wrong with the Mac OS auto-update?

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 12.49.10 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.