Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
It is not built in. It has a special "glove", like a circle, but you can unplug it as any standard power cable.
I think the extra "glove" is just to help with the fit, as a standard cable will be a bit loose.
I have not heard anyone say it can't be removed easily, in the DIY 5k discussion
I have never tried it.I just don,t know what to do with this.I had the problem again everyrhing froze i could not do anything but turn it off on the Mac.That was on one of the external os s.I did the checks that you can do on the drives and they both said there was no problem with them.Something must be wring with the MAC.Abd to that the spining beach ball did start.:(I kept on presing all the keys the mouse and keyboard were working well the cap locks light was on.Why would the dignostic app say there was nothing wrong when there must be a problem.I will keep using the internal drive and see if that get the problems i am getting with the external drives.

Last edited:

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
Why would the diignostic app say there was nothing wrong when there must be a problem.
To be honest. I have no idea.
My iMac stopped working without any prior issue. Tried to reinstall the macOS, but it failed. Even replacing the blade and internal SSD did not work. The online install process would start, but hang around 20-25%. I even left it overnight, and that made no difference. It did not shut down. So I never tested my PSU.
And because it was set up as fusion, I could not get the files of the 1TB SSD.

I even purchased a file rescue program Disk Drill, and scanned the whole SSD. Lost almost all the files that had any value to me. The program did not recover any .pages document, not a single one :( It retrieved a lot of .pdf files. Most which come with macOS.

Please make sure you have your files backed up. Even if it seems to be working with random issues. Who knows when it will fail completely?

edit: I scanned my SSD in my Mac Pro 7.1, to recover files

Last edited:

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
To be honest. I have no idea.
My iMac stopped working without any prior issue. Tried to reinstall the macOS, but it failed. Even replacing the blade and internal SSD did now work. The online install process would start, but hang around 20-25%. I even left it overnight, and that made no difference. It did not shut down. So I never tested my PSU.
And because it was set up as fusion, I could not get the files of the 1TB SSD.

I even purchased a file rescue program Disk Drill, and scanned the whole SSD. Lost almost all the files that had any value to me. The program did not recover any .pages document, not a single one :( It retrieved a lot of .pdf files. Most which come with macOS.

Please make sure you have your files backed up. Even if it seems to be working with random issues. Who knows when it will fail completely?

edit: I scanned my SSD in my Mac Pro 7.1, to recover files
I had to reinstal an OS because i had forgoten the password for the internal drive as i don,t use it as 256 gb is not enough ,i don,t know why Apple still make Macs with so little storage in them in 2024.I have all ways backed up.The only thing i would say is that one of my external drives gets very hot,the other one not so much.Having said all that i did the first aid on both drives and it said there were no problems on both of them.
I am sorry to here about your sittuation about losing your files.:(I put Alfred on here but can,t turn the Camera off i have tried all the stuff they mention on here to get it turned off to no avale:(

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I had to reinstal an OS because i had forgoten the password for the internal drive as i don,t use it as 256 gb is not enough...
If this is a software issue

Then I wonder if it is in any way related to
as you are using external drives ?

It is a lot to read with over 350 comments. But perhaps someone mentions something that could guide you in your search for a solution.

I agree with you that it is unbelievable that Apple sell macs with 256GB. Even the Mac Pro 2019 had that in the base configuration.
The iMac Pro shipped with 1TB as default, back in 2017.

Last edited:

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
That looks more like it,:) i don,t see what a test of under two minutes can find out.I will give that a try thanks.What i have found out is that its been running without any problems on internal drive.I tried one of the other drives that did the same thing i have been having problems with screen went blank i had to take the plug out of the wall and put back in.There must be a problem with that drive.o_OI am using the third drive and all is well it seems there must be a problem with the other drive it has a. older os on it.I was under the impression a NvME drive could last for years.o_O

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.