Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2015
Since upgrading to iOS 9 on my iPhone 6+ I have been having trouble with notifications. I only get an audio notification about half the time, the banner or popup on the lock screen will appear but no tone or vibration. I also no longer get Facebook notifications for some reason. Last night I tried resetting all settings and re-enabling notifications in each app but they are still intermittent. I have also updated to 9.0.1 without any change. Anyone else having this issue?

AdamantAuk

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2015
SF Bay Area
I had this problem today with FB Messenger notifications--watching them pop up as a banner with my volume up, only made a noise about 2/3 of the time (usually the first notification of a series was silent)

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2015
Oh yes should have mentioned...I definitely have the ringer switch on and volume turned up. Already checked the obvious stuff.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It seems to be hit or miss with sound/vibration for all kinds of notifications.

Facebook is in a world of its own as I haven't been getting realiable notifications from them for a few months now, even back with iOS 8.

X5-452

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Calgary, Canada
Same here.

Notifications are getting sent to my phone, but if it's on the lock screen none of them wake it up or alert with sound. While using the phone yesterday I somehow missed 3 Instagram notifications. They never even made it to my device. Only showed up within the app itself.

Very frustrating how hit and miss it is!!

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
I had this problem today with FB Messenger notifications--watching them pop up as a banner with my volume up, only made a noise about 2/3 of the time (usually the first notification of a series was silent)

Messenger purposely doesn't ding every time if messages come in rapid succession. It will also not vibrate every time in silent mode. I think they did it so your phone was annoying you constantly.

AdamantAuk

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2015
SF Bay Area
Messenger purposely doesn't ding every time if messages come in rapid succession. It will also not vibrate every time in silent mode. I think they did it so your phone was annoying you constantly.

In the past, the silent ones have always occurred after the first or second message in a batch. How would messenger know to silence the "first" message before the person had sent subsequent ones?

But I've definitely been seeing silent Messenger notifications for solitary messages not part of a series.

BIS2

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2004
I don't get sound either, but a bigger issue is that I'm just not getting notifications at all. I have the same settings on my iPad and I get a ton there and have only had about 10 total in 5-6 days on my 6s.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
My iPhone 6 was not giving me tones for Reminders, but was seeing banners, lock screen notifications as well as vibrate. iPad 3 working fine.

After update to 9.0.2, all my notification "modes" are working.

UPDATE: spoke too soon. Worked fine for a day, but today, back to no tones for reminders.

Last edited:

Ammar666

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2015
I still cant figure out what the issue is. This has not been reported on any site, and I've not seen any developer on Twitter mention this problem at all.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
I have discovered a settings change related to this. Since iOS 9 I noticed I was not getting banner notifications but only sometimes. On those occasions even changing the notification type from banner to alert made no difference.

I finally figured out it was when my was phone was in do not disturb mode. There's a dnd setting that says are notifications silent only when the phone is unlocked and in dnd mode, or are they silent always in dnd mode.

My setting in iOS 8 was always. Thus after midnight, when my scheduled dnd mode starts, if I'm still up and using the phone, incoming messages won't beep and wake my wife. But I would see the banner notification. This worked great for me.

In iOS 9 this same setting works differently.

If for dnd you select silent always you no longer get any banner or alert notifications. The app icon badge will show (if that's selected for the app in question).

In the case of messages this is a terrible change. With iOS 9 if I'm in another app and in dnd mode with silence always, I have no idea if a message has come in. If I change the silence setting to only when phone is locked then I do get a banner notification but I also get the sound of an incoming message.

Thus I'm forced to manually switch the phone to silent although it still vibrates and I have to remember to switch it out of silent when locking it for the night.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Email notifications here....works ok after a reboot and then stops playing the noise.

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2015
Seems to be a little better with 9.0.2 but still hit or miss for me. I've tried everything I can think of and audio alerts are still randomly inconsistent.

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
I'm having the same issue and like you guys surprised to see not more people having the issue. My keyboard clicks are also nonexistent or so low I can't hear them. Frustrating.

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2015
Hey for others with this problem, which phones are you running? I'm wondering if this is only on older phones or if it's also a problem on the new 6s...

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
Anyone ever think maybe this is done on purpose by Apple to "save battery life" I haven't got an audible notification from Facebook or any notification for that matter since upgrading to the 6s and iOS 9.

The only way I know I have any is after opening the app, messages and iMessages always work, tweetbot only 5% of the time and messenger is never audible or visual the same goes I need to open the app to check for messages

An IOS developer

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
Please note that an app can have a local notification (set on the device) or a push notification (arriving from a server, involving the netwok) . Push notifications do not always arrive but the app software can handle this by requesting a list of not received push notifications.

Last edited:

Ammar666

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2015
Please note that an app can have a local notification (set on the device) or a push notification (arriving from a server, involving the netwok) . Push notifications do not always arrive but the app software can handle this by requesting a list of not received push notifications.
what does that have to do with the issue we're facing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.