Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Psycho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Got my MBA yesterday, and I had a lot of trouble previewing songs on the iTunes Music Store. The song would play for a few seconds and continually rebuffer. I also found page loading on Safari and Firefox to be very slow (more so than on my CD Macbook). Anyone had the same experiences?

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2008
Got my MBA yesterday, and I had a lot of trouble previewing songs on the iTunes Music Store. The song would play for a few seconds and continually rebuffer. I also found page loading on Safari and Firefox to be very slow (more so than on my CD Macbook). Anyone had the same experiences?

It's probably the 4200 rpm drive. Much of the buffering happens on the hard drive, so it probably can't keep up with the wireless; but that's really just a guess.

cenetti

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
I wouldnt expect any better from that machine....be happy with what you have or return it and get a refund....

1.6/4200rpm is a joke in this time and age...

monjones

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Houston, TX
the itunes store on my macbook pro has suddenly become very slow over the last couple of days. internet is otherwise at full speed, so i don't know what the problem is. i get the same problem as you with songs, and video clips take forever to load (up to around 20 mins). i'm still trying to figure it out...

aiongiant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
It's probably the 4200 rpm drive. Much of the buffering happens on the hard drive, so it probably can't keep up with the wireless; but that's really just a guess.

i don't think this is it...
have you had much lag on the ipod with songs? since it's uses the same hdd

i think it's itunes server side or your internet is slow

cause thoese arnt full mp3s here if your just previewing songs
so were talking about less than 1mb files here at MOST since a full song is about 4mb

zippster

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
I wouldnt expect any better from that machine....be happy with what you have or return it and get a refund....

oh come on hardware changes.... dont get caught up on buzzwords and numbers!

thats like saying a 1.6 centrino is the same as a 1.6 core 2 duo? i dont think so.

and as for 4200rpm hdd, nowadays hdd has differernt size buffer cache which can make up for performance 10x!

the Air will be more than capable of streaming HD video over wireless.<fullstop>

cheers

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
the itunes store on my macbook pro has suddenly become very slow over the last couple of days. internet is otherwise at full speed, so i don't know what the problem is. i get the same problem as you with songs, and video clips take forever to load (up to around 20 mins). i'm still trying to figure it out...

With two major underwater cables cut in the Med, perhaps internet traffic is being routed other ways - resulting in congestion????

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7222536.stm

monjones

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Houston, TX
With two major underwater cables cut in the Med, perhaps internet traffic is being routed other ways - resulting in congestion????

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7222536.stm

could be it, as my problem definitely seems to be with the itunes server, as nothing else on my system seems to be impacted. but the problem discussed in the article doesn't seem to be affecting the US directly and i would guess the itunes servers are based here, but i don't know. i tried reinstalling itunes, but problem has not gone away.

cenetti

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
oh come on hardware changes.... dont get caught up on buzzwords and numbers!

thats like saying a 1.6 centrino is the same as a 1.6 core 2 duo? i dont think so.

and as for 4200rpm hdd, nowadays hdd has differernt size buffer cache which can make up for performance 10x!

the Air will be more than capable of streaming HD video over wireless.<fullstop>

cheers

do you realize that its slower than mac mini?
and also...if I am about to drop 1800-3000 bucks on a computer, i'd pay attention to the numbers.....hell..thats all you should pay attention to...
NUMBERS! BENCHMARKS!

its a computer you're buying not a vase to put next to the fireplace!!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Don't be silly. It would buffer that much to memory, and if a friggin ipod can playback AAC without problems from the drive, why would the MBA have problems. :rolleyes:

Think before you post.

Wow thanks for contributing that wonderful and thoughtful insight :rolleyes: Keep up the good work :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

and also...if I am about to drop 1800-3000 bucks on a computer, i'd pay attention to the numbers.....hell..thats all you should pay attention to...
NUMBERS! BENCHMARKS!

Then don't buy one... great good for you. Now can you stop trolling the forum before someone presses the BAN button.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
and also...
Do you realize that people are using Macs a heck of a lot slower than any intel Mac mini and aren't having any problems with iTunes rebuffering because of the RPM of their drive or processor speed?

Save your price/performance rant for another thread. CPU and harddrive speed are the least likely components to be an issue with the OPs problem.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
if I am about to drop 1800-3000 bucks on a computer, i'd pay attention to the numbers.....hell..thats all you should pay attention to...
NUMBERS! BENCHMARKS!

You should realize that the numbers aren't the most important thing to a lot of people. To some, the size and appearance are as important, if not more, as the speed or storage space.

Just because you look for the top specs doesn't mean you're any smarter than they are. People have different priorities.

Also, I had a 1.3 GHZ Pentium M notebook that browsed the web and previewed iTunes songs just fine.

P

Petrogk

Jesus....it's faster then all/most of the laptops in it's weight category.

Let alone DAMN faster then any laptop of its thickness.

2.4 Ghz subnotebooks/thin light notebooks DONT EXIST and won't for a while!

It's not supposed to be a Macbook Pro.

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
NUMBERS! BENCHMARKS!

Seriously, you've posted in multiple threads how you feel about the MBA. It's obvious you don't like it. It's also obvious that your complaints aren't going to be the defining reason someone doesn't buy it. So please do everyone a favour and stop posting worthless comments.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ please remember guys...

troll.jpg

Hopefully he's got the message and will kindly do us all a favor :)

zippster

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
ooh i didnt realise it was troll season... now wheres my whackin' stick!!

people who are obsessed with numbers(buzzwords) well the Air really isnt a product for them.....hell i cant imagine there is any apple product they will be happy with so maybe they should go back to the wonderful OS they call Windows Vista.

SEOT, now back to the OP's question..:p

tstarks33

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
ooh i didnt realise it was troll season... now wheres my whackin' stick!!

people who are obsessed with numbers(buzzwords) well the Air really isnt a product for them.....hell i cant imagine there is any apple product they will be happy with so maybe they should go back to the wonderful OS they call Windows Vista.

SEOT, now back to the OP's question..:p

Ah, the typical Macbook Air Defense Force answer to any MBA criticism: It's not meant for you then. That's a pretty handy defense!

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2008
Don't be silly. It would buffer that much to memory, and if a friggin ipod can playback AAC without problems from the drive, why would the MBA have problems. :rolleyes:

Think before you post.

Oh well. I guess we can't all be as tech savvy and cool as you. ;)

zippster

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Ah, the typical Macbook Air Defense Force answer to any MBA criticism: It's not meant for you then. That's a pretty handy defense!

LMFAO \/\/hatever man! enjoy vista ;)

i know its gonna be less powerful the my mbp or imac but then its more portable and lighter... horses for courses, besides im only buying it because im an apple fanboy!

that make you feel better?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
And it totally explains why some people find value in the MacBook Air price/weight/performance and others think it's a joke.

Virtually everything "criticized" about the MBA is SUBJECTIVE. There is no "one answer" that covers how every person feels about it.

LouTreize

macrumors regular
May 19, 2007
Hmm, I didn't see iTunes mentioned in Apple's note that you linked to. I could see high-bandwidth tasks being affected (like Remote Disc, Migration, or Remote Install Mac OS X that they mentioned), but streaming song previews?

Well anything could be possible at this point. And i did say "Hope this helps a little". It's an issue that people are starting to get aware of, thats all. Thought it would help ease the situation a little, at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.