Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bboble

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2006
California
How did you determine what the refresh rate is for your browsers? Lack of smooth scrolling by itself doesn't imply anything about the refresh rate. That can be caused by how the browser loads pages, which typically involves compromises for power and memory efficiency such as loading images and even stuff you may not see as you scroll.
Yes, but surely Safari is snappy enough with M1 Pro / Max that this is negligible.

AppleChainLink

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2021
This is so bizarre. I just got my new high-end 16" MBP, and yep - ProMotion is not fully working out of the box. It's on MacOS 12.0, so will be updating to 12.0.1 to see if it fixes it.

Now, before anyone says anything, yes, - ProMotion IS working when moving windows around etc. It's super smooth. But scrolling in Safari/Chrome etc it's clearly running at 60hz. Messages IS taking advantage of ProMotion, though, as scrolling through messages etc is nice and smooth (just like on the new iPad 12.9 and iPhone 13 Pro series).

Really hoping that the MacOS update to 12.0.1 sorts out the browsing frame-rate, though... because currently it's NOT any better than previous years, of course, and quite chunky.
Literally was thinking I'm going crazy. Because I couldn't believe how choppy safari is, but others are saying nothing is wrong. Thank you for posting this and giving me a sense of sanity. How could Apple ship these machines with Safari literally broken? Btw I've updated to 12.0.1 thinking the same thing and no go. Still seems to be at 60hz.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
I’m returning this, I feel like a million steps back, much bigger and thick screen isn’t any brighter and playing hdr video is same as 2019 MacBook Pro, pro motion is not good, speakers lack high end now sounds worse, no boot camp for gaming, once again apple release something and let me down it’s the trend now days

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
I’m returning this, I feel like a million steps back, much bigger and thick screen isn’t any brighter and playing hdr video is same as 2019 MacBook Pro, pro motion is not good, speakers lack high end now sounds worse, no boot camp for gaming, once again apple release something and let me down it’s the trend now days
Really ... no boot camp for gaming is one of your complaints? You've known that's not coming back for a year now and that's a shocker? You can blame Microsoft for that one, by the way, as they don't want to make an ARM version of Windows for Apple Silicon.

I feel like you didn't actually buy this and aren't actually returning anything.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Literally was thinking I'm going crazy. Because I couldn't believe how choppy safari is, but others are saying nothing is wrong. Thank you for posting this and giving me a sense of sanity. How could Apple ship these machines with Safari literally broken? Btw I've updated to 12.0.1 thinking the same thing and no go. Still seems to be at 60hz.
Yeah it’s insane. How has no reviewer noticed this?!

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Because the reviews done so far aren't reviews, they're just glorified Apple sales people
No joke. Actually, the full reviews had better rip Apple a new one, because this screen isn't as good as it should be. The blooming is REALLY bad (much worse than on my new iPad Pro 12.9), but note also the elevated black levels. Here's a screenshot from the end credits of Blade Runner 2049. This in motion is terrible, but notice too how the backlight is not off for the surrounding area, so there's elevated blacks in dark scenes. Also, even ABOVE the black bars the screen is showing elevated blacks. What on earth, Apple?

https://youtu.be/SBgQinIeqPc

Attachments

• tempImageHsdWJ8.png
    tempImageHsdWJ8.png
    3 MB · Views: 142

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
Really ... no boot camp for gaming is one of your complaints? You've known that's not coming back for a year now and that's a shocker? You can blame Microsoft for that one, by the way, as they don't want to make an ARM version of Windows for Apple Silicon.

I feel like you didn't actually buy this and aren't actually returning anything.
Want me to send you my apple order form and a photo of me holding it; I don’t need to lie, I’m just angry the display is now what apple promised and I’m sick of apple always releasing half baked products

Reactions: flapflapflap

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Firefox runs the same as Safari/Chrome, i.e. bad. It seems like apps need to be updated to support ProMotion. e.g Facebook Messenger (and WhatsApp) do not run with ProMotion 120hz, but Messages does. Scrolling is so clearly so much smoother on Messages than FB Messenger/WhatsApp.

What's weird is that Firefox is reporting higher framerates on the Blurbuster test.

But in actual usage it runs the same as Safari...
Actually let me rephrase, - Chrome does run better than Safari! Still not as well as the iPads/iPhones with 120hz, but still - at least a little better than Apple's own browser. Jeez. :(

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI
Actually let me rephrase, - Chrome does run better than Safari! Still not as well as the iPads/iPhones with 120hz, but still - at least a little better than Apple's own browser. Jeez. :(
I confirmed it is 120Hz in Edge in the other thread. Screenshot of testufo in Edge below:
8477B032-1699-4A5E-B2FD-557649D028B6.jpeg

Crisis

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
I think Edge's and Chrome's scrolling is still 60fps, although they can display 120fps content..

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
Agreed, it's noticeably worse between safari and messages. I have no doubt it will be fixed promptly.

Oh my god I love this computer.
Im worried it won’t be fixed they still haven’t fixed the iPhone 13 pro like rechability is still 60hz and other things; it’s like they are half baked and don’t fully work

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
Want me to send you my apple order form and a photo of me holding it; I don’t need to lie, I’m just angry the display is now what apple promised and I’m sick of apple always releasing half baked products
That’s fine, but please explain to me why Boot Camp was the deal breaker for you knowing they killed Boot Camp a year ago with the M1. Were you … expecting them to bring it back?

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
That’s fine, but please explain to me why Boot Camp was the deal breaker for you knowing they killed Boot Camp a year ago with the M1. Were you … expecting them to bring it back?
Of cause I knew it was not coming and i accepted that because of all the advantages of the apple silicon but I did game on the intel i9 5600m it was amazing that gpu and now seeing all the issues I’m finding with the new MacBook and not as impressed as I wanted to be I’m thinking of reasons it’s better to keep the intel one, that’s only reason I said it. I feel the new one is more powerful but I never complained about the speed of the intel i9 and it is thinner and can use windows 10 if need be, I was sold on promotion but seeing that isn’t that good it’s making me change my mind

Reactions: Saturn1217

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Of cause I knew it was not coming and i accepted that because of all the advantages of the apple silicon but I did game on the intel i9 5600m it was amazing that gpu and now seeing all the issues I’m finding with the new MacBook and not as impressed as I wanted to be I’m thinking of reasons it’s better to keep the intel one, that’s only reason I said it. I feel the new one is more powerful but I never complained about the speed of the intel i9 and it is thinner and can use windows 10 if need be, I was sold on promotion but seeing that isn’t that good it’s making me change my mind

I don't get why you wouldn't at least wait a few days to see if there are any updates instead of knee-jerk returning it. But also, buying a computer for one reason seems a bit silly, promotion isn't that fabulous (and I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max).

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
I don't get why you wouldn't at least wait a few days to see if there are any updates instead of knee-jerk returning it. But also, buying a computer for one reason seems a bit silly, promotion isn't that fabulous (and I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max).
Apple still didn’t fix the promotion issue on the iPhone, it wasn’t the only reason, I do like the hdr brighter screen I’m all about display quality but seeing as my intel one seems the same just better blacks which isn’t a big deal, it just seemed to me apple can’t resale something with out a major issue,

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Im worried it won’t be fixed they still haven’t fixed the iPhone 13 pro like rechability is still 60hz and other things; it’s like they are half baked and don’t fully work
Yeah reachability animation is for sure still stuck at 60hz on my iPhone 13 Pro Max. Quite amazing Apple doesn’t fix the easy little things.

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
If you paste this code into your browser console:
JavaScript:
javascript:(function(){var script=document.createElement('script');script.onload=function(){var stats=new Stats();document.body.appendChild(stats.dom);requestAnimationFrame(function loop(){stats.update();requestAnimationFrame(loop)});};script.src='//mrdoob.github.io/stats.js/build/stats.min.js';document.head.appendChild(script);})()

you will see in the top left corner for Safari its 60 fps, but in Firefox its 120

Reactions: uecker87
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.