Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
If you paste this code into your browser console:
JavaScript:
javascript:(function(){var script=document.createElement('script');script.onload=function(){var stats=new Stats();document.body.appendChild(stats.dom);requestAnimationFrame(function loop(){stats.update();requestAnimationFrame(loop)});};script.src='//mrdoob.github.io/stats.js/build/stats.min.js';document.head.appendChild(script);})()

you will see in the top left corner for Safari its 60 fps, but in Firefox its 120
How about chrome? Havent gotten my MBP can't test it out. Is chrome's 120fps better than safari for now? I heard it's still bad too for all browsers

SupremeMayo

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2021
Literally was thinking I'm going crazy. Because I couldn't believe how choppy safari is, but others are saying nothing is wrong. Thank you for posting this and giving me a sense of sanity. How could Apple ship these machines with Safari literally broken? Btw I've updated to 12.0.1 thinking the same thing and no go. Still seems to be at 60hz.
Not just you. Went into the Apple Store, I and fellow employees all agreed that the screen did not seem as smooth as the iPad Pro or the 13 Pro line.

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
I’m returning this, I feel like a million steps back, much bigger and thick screen isn’t any brighter and playing hdr video is same as 2019 MacBook Pro, pro motion is not good, speakers lack high end now sounds worse, no boot camp for gaming, once again apple release something and let me down it’s the trend now days
I agree, particularly on the design side. They took several steps back replicating the exterior design of the MacBooks from 2012-2013. HDMI was unnecessary (why not give us another TB port?). Don’t get me started on the CHUNK and the weight. And now I’m reading that the Safari Browser is choppy? People are paying THOUSANDS for this product.

Attachments

• B055D2CC-2560-418E-8735-F346C21DA1F8.jpeg
    B055D2CC-2560-418E-8735-F346C21DA1F8.jpeg
    384.1 KB · Views: 179

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
The youtuber reviews are payed to only talk nice things they don’t say the truth ever; they are cringe most of the time
YouTube Reviewers are all professional Apple shills. Apple has them by the balls. They’re no different than all the Crypto Shillers promising riches and 1,000x gains

Reactions: Just sayin...

AppleChainLink

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2021
I agree, particularly on the design side. They took several steps back replicating the exterior design of the MacBooks from 2012-2013. HDMI was unnecessary (why not give us another TB port?). Don’t get me started on the CHUNK and the weight. And now I’m reading that the Safari Browser is choppy? People are paying THOUSANDS for this product.
The chunk was fine for me since I was so impressed by the new chips. But now that I have it, it makes it kind of uncomfortable to type on. Pair that with 120hz being broken and I’m already leaning towards returning this thing. I do not expect these types of problems from a product as expensive as this, and especially from a company like Apple.

Reactions: Kylo83

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
I think this is an app optimization issue personally. If you scroll through News or Pages, it is buttery smooth (14" MBP / Base) so I think Safari just needs to update to take advantage of it shortly...

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah just go to testufo.com, blurbusters. Confirm I'm seeing 60hz / 60 fps on Safari and 120 hz / 120 fps on chrome.

I think this is just a bug that will need to be fixed, hopefully macrumors can run the story.

Other than that, the display is out of this world, the increase in resolution is just icing on the cake.

Reactions: aohus

Takumi1

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2021
This is so bizarre. I just got my new high-end 16" MBP, and yep - ProMotion is not fully working out of the box. It's on MacOS 12.0, so will be updating to 12.0.1 to see if it fixes it.

Now, before anyone says anything, yes, - ProMotion IS working when moving windows around etc. It's super smooth. But scrolling in Safari/Chrome etc it's clearly running at 60hz. Messages IS taking advantage of ProMotion, though, as scrolling through messages etc is nice and smooth (just like on the new iPad 12.9 and iPhone 13 Pro series).

Really hoping that the MacOS update to 12.0.1 sorts out the browsing frame-rate, though... because currently it's NOT any better than previous years, of course, and quite chunky.
Hi ! I have experienced the same issue with safari in Apple store. And sometimes swipping between fullscreen app is choppy. This is clear that promotion on these macs is no comparison than promotion in iphone or ipad pro.
But can you try if you will experience the same issue with safari technology preview ? Thanks

Reactions: R3k

AppleChainLink

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2021
Hi ! I have experienced the same issue with safari in Apple store. And sometimes swipping between fullscreen app is choppy. This is clear that promotion on these macs is no comparison than promotion in iphone or ipad pro.
But can you try if you will experience the same issue with safari technology preview ? Thanks
I tried it. Still doesn't work.

Reactions: Takumi1 and R3k

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
yeah i've been underwhelmed by the promotion. certain apps seem stuck at 60hz too. discord for instance, seems to be rendering in 60hz from time to time. It seems to come and go and not consistent. When scrolling it doesn't seem smooth as you'd expect from say, a traditional 144hz+ monitor. It seems to be fluctuating to the point that it is discernible for a somewhat keen observer to notice the stutter / blur when scrolling.

this aint promotion, this is 60hz+ motion.

Takumi1

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2021
yeah i've been underwhelmed by the promotion. certain apps seem stuck at 60hz too. discord for instance, seems to be rendering in 60hz from time to time. It seems to come and go and not consistent. When scrolling it doesn't seem smooth as you'd expect from say, a traditional 144hz+ monitor. It seems to be fluctuating to the point that it is discernible for a somewhat keen observer to notice the stutter / blur when scrolling.

this aint promotion, this is 60hz+ motion.
I totally agree. It seems that macos is not optimazed for adapative refresh rate. Apple should make an option to have 120hz refresh rate all the time.
When it comes to smoothness , I don't care about battery life.

Reactions: appleuserindc

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Use the Brave browser, in my tests, it is constantly using 120hz. Used a 120hz online tester to see and it was not varying from 120Hz.

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
It is indeed not working in Safari or other browsers.

Scrolling is choppy and bad.

Apple has not yet acknowledged or agreed to fix this yet. Can we get MacRumors to write a story on this?
Yeah even though my JavaScript posted above does report 120 fps on Firefox, scrolling is identical to Safari which reports 60

Then moving over to Messages and scrolling a large thread you can clearly see a difference

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI
It is indeed not working in Safari or other browsers.

Scrolling is choppy and bad.

Apple has not yet acknowledged or agreed to fix this yet. Can we get MacRumors to write a story on this?

Use the Brave browser, in my tests, it is constantly using 120hz. Used a 120hz online tester to see and it was not varying from 120Hz.
I get 120Hz in Edge too. It definitely is smoother but you can then notice that this display has a rather poor screen response time (gray to gray) - but it should be similar to the iPad Pros. It won't ever quite compete with the new iPhones since those are 120Hz with pretty much an instant response time since it is OLED.

I definitely expect Safari to get updated soon and will probably eventually offer the best scrolling experience while web browsing.

Reactions: escapevelocity

AppleChainLink

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2021
I get 120Hz in Edge too. It definitely is smoother but you can then notice that this display has a rather poor screen response time (gray to gray) - but it should be similar to the iPad Pros. It won't ever quite compete with the new iPhones since those are 120Hz with pretty much an instant response time since it is OLED.

I definitely expect Safari to get updated soon and will probably eventually offer the best scrolling experience while web browsing.
It’s not 120hz in any browser. Even if it says it can display 120hz content, the scrolling is capped.

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI
It’s not 120hz in any browser. Even if it says it can display 120hz content, the scrolling is capped.
I know for sure it is 120Hz in Edge on my device. I have 120Hz devices all around my house including a 165Hz and 144Hz monitor. In Edge it is 120Hz scrolling, but the slower response rate of the display shows itself with some motion blur aka ghosting behind text while scrolling, etc.

Feel free to disagree with me, but I know what I am seeing. :D

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I cannot say if Safari uses 120Hz, but I can say that scrolling in Safari is much smoother than on my 24" M1 iMac, so ProMotion must be doing something..

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I know for sure it is 120Hz in Edge on my device. I have 120Hz devices all around my house including a 165Hz and 144Hz monitor. In Edge it is 120Hz scrolling, but the slower response rate of the display shows itself with some motion blur aka ghosting behind text while scrolling, etc.

I’ll disagree. 100%. I can do back to back tests on the iPad Pro 120hz and the MBP with Edge browser. It’s not even close. The MBP reminds me of uneven frame pacing in some video games, magnified. It’s not in the same league of smoothness as the iPad Pro.

I’ll be hopeful Apple can address this, but if you bought the MBP for what was meant to be the smoothest web browsing experience on an Apple device, prepare yourself for disappointment.

The iPhone 13 Pro line is the smoothest (instant OLED pixel response, yay), then the iPad Pro (M1 with ProMotion) and then…. Hmmm. I don’t even know what Apple device is next in line. Definitely not the new MBP.

AppleChainLink

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2021

I don’t necessarily disagree. I’m still trying to figure out what exactly is going on here. For me it’s definitely not 120. But it’s 120 while dragging windows, using Apple news, and App Store.

I cannot say if Safari uses 120Hz, but I can say that scrolling in Safari is much smoother than on my 24" M1 iMac, so ProMotion must be doing something..

My 24” iMac looks smooth or about the same compared to my MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.