Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
I think it's obvious that no Apple VP uses Carplay. The fact that Carplay auto-plays blaring music immediately once hooked in (music that wasn't playing before) is beyond annoying. It does this every time.

I read somewhere that it is because of some legacy iPod protocol buried in Apple's auto protocol; however, are you saying Apple can't ignore the command on the iPhone side?

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Apple VPs probably have drivers and/or driving super cars which a lot don't support Carplay or Android Auto. Plus if it autopay's music and it is loud it is because whoever used it last is bumping to some music

Reactions: Ericdjensen

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
my jeep wrangler JL and wifes XC90 does this and its ****in annoying. The workaroud is a shortcut that pauses any playing music when carplay is connected, but even that BLOWS as the music plays for 3 seconds and then finally pauses

• Angry
Reactions: fc4090 and zapmymac

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
If your BMW is like my wife’s, then it not only does it do that, but it will pick any random iPhone in the car to play from rather than the driver’s.
my Tucson does that sometimes, it is just my iPhone and my wife's iPhone in registered in my car and 95% of the time it chooses mine since mine is first on the priority, but every now and then for some reason I will notice it not connecting to my phone for the wireless Carplay and I will have to go to settings and click on mine and it will say disconnecting from my wife's.

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
I think it's obvious that no Apple VP uses Carplay. The fact that Carplay auto-plays blaring music immediately once hooked in (music that wasn't playing before) is beyond annoying. It does this every time.

I read somewhere that it is because of some legacy iPod protocol buried in Apple's auto protocol; however, are you saying Apple can't ignore the command on the iPhone side?
My 2020 JEEP does nothing like this. Works perfectly the way I want it.

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2022
I rented a car to go to a wedding last month and it was my first time driving a vehicle with CarPlay. I was really impressed with it and completely understand why someone wouldn't buy a car without CarPlay or Android Auto equipped.

FWIW, the car was a Corolla Hybrid and when I started it and plugged in the phone, it would resume at the previous volume.

Reactions: AgeOfSpiracles

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Definitely depends on the car... there are different choices OEMs can make when they build CarPlay support. I've had wildly different CarPlay experiences based on the radio manufacturer — Ford CarPlay, Chrysler CarPlay, aftermarket Pioneer CarPlay, aftermarket Boss CarPlay, aftermarket Joying Android CarPlay all look and behave in slightly different ways.

IIRC, Pioneer would always autoplay. Which indeed seems to be a vestige from older Pioneer radios that would always autoplay the first song in my iPod library when I was in high school. The Boss and Joying radios I'm using now don't autoplay at start; perhaps they don't have any old iPod code on board.

Anyway though, I'd agree that it would be cool for Apple to gradually take more control of CarPlay UX away from car OEMs. Some of them are absolute trash (looking at you, Chrysler).

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Doesn’t happen I either of our cars, 2022 Bolt EUV and 2022 Hyundai Tucson PHEV.

OP: where’s that “proof”? What car do you have?

missingar

Suspended
Jun 22, 2023
My 2023 Kia Niro EX doesn't automatically play, and also has the option to return to a custom volume on start, so this literally never happens.

Osxguy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Keizer Oregon
I find that upper management is somewhat detached from reality. For example, one of them lives near a client of mine in Old Palo Alto and owns two Teslas. Furthermore, I believe that engineers struggle to openly express their concerns due to the fear of job insecurity. The high cost of living appears to hamper creativity, which is noticeable in certain aspects of this company.

TheDauterive

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2013
private
I appreciate everyone shrugging their shoulders and saying "I have no idea what you're talking about!" But CarPlay automatically starting playback has been a thing for years. Where have you guys been that you don't know about it?

People wrote shortcuts and automations to stop it: How to stop CarPlay's autoplaying madness

People sold silent tracks to stop it: A silent, 10-minute song is climbing the iTunes charts

And the Apple discussion forums have thousands of complaints from 2017 until today: discussions.apple.com

I mean, I'm glad that you don't have this problem, but since it's a widespread and well-known issue, so how can you not know that countless people do?

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
I appreciate everyone shrugging their shoulders and saying "I have no idea what you're talking about!" But CarPlay automatically starting playback has been a thing for years. Where have you guys been that you don't know about it?

People wrote shortcuts and automations to stop it: How to stop CarPlay's autoplaying madness

People sold silent tracks to stop it: A silent, 10-minute song is climbing the iTunes charts

And the Apple discussion forums have thousands of complaints from 2017 until today: discussions.apple.com

I mean, I'm glad that you don't have this problem, but since it's a widespread and well-known issue, so how can you not know that countless people do?
I don't think people are saying "I have no idea what you're talking about!" or think/believe this is not a real thing.... Some of us are simply saying we do not have this problem and maybe state what car we have. So this issue could be having something to do with 3rd party connectivity.

And I'm going out on limb here but I am going to assume that there are a lot of widespread issues in the world that you do not know about and that does not say anything bad about you.

I have had issues with iPhones starting auto when connecting to a car but not in the past few years... So could it have something to do with what car brands or maybe the manufacturer of the carplay interface? could it be a combination of Apple and Car brands? It seems hard to just blame Apple for not having been able to solve a problem of interfacing with different manufacturers.

Dhonk

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2015

This has never happened in any of my CarPlay videos and I've plugged in for EVERY car ride for years. I think my first car with CarPlay was my 2014 Sierra. If not that, then when I got a 2018 Sierra and the wife got a 2019 Terrain. We've never had music auto-start when plugged in. Now when I used to plug into my 2011 Terrain (before CarPlay), it was auto-start playing the first track from my iPod's alphabetical order.

Reactions: AlexMac89

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
Some car rental Audi that my brother recently drove did this.

My VW Passat hybrid never does not did that. Both when connected USB-C or wirelessly. Knows how to behave right.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Apple VPs probably have drivers and/or driving super cars which a lot don't support Carplay or Android Auto. Plus if it autopay's music and it is loud it is because whoever used it last is bumping to some music

As of a few years ago many drove 5 series or various Audi models.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
My Toyota doesn't autoplay but the work Hyundais do.

My personal annoyance is that there doesn't seem to be any way to say "there's a passenger present", so you still need to pull over and stop to get out of "simple mode" and get access to the full music library etc.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT

I want my music to come on when CarPlay starts… that’s kinda the point

Reactions: the future

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
I rented a car to go to a wedding last month and it was my first time driving a vehicle with CarPlay. I was really impressed with it and completely understand why someone wouldn't buy a car without CarPlay or Android Auto equipped.

FWIW, the car was a Corolla Hybrid and when I started it and plugged in the phone, it would resume at the previous volume.
I've got older cars, but do rent for long roadtrips and thankfully CarPlay is pretty much ubiquitous in rental fleets now. No way I buy another car that doesn't support it. I've considered buying an aftermarket unit for my cars, but just can't justify putting that much money and effort into these vehicles at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.