Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
My Toyota doesn't autoplay but the work Hyundais do.

My personal annoyance is that there doesn't seem to be any way to say "there's a passenger present", so you still need to pull over and stop to get out of "simple mode" and get access to the full music library etc.
That’s your car manufacturer, not apple. My Honda doesn’t have a simple mode. i know chevys do and it’s super annoying.

Reactions: OneBar

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
My iPhone will start auto-playing music over Bluetooth or CarPlay, regardless of the make or model. New BMWs, new GMs, old VWs, new Toyotas, aftermarket units, If I specifically have used Apple Music within the last short bit — recent enough that it’s still in my app switcher and if I switch to it, it doesn’t have to refresh — music will always auto-play on vehicle startup. However, if Apple Music is closed or it’s been long enough that its frozen in memory, it doesn’t.

Regardless of people’s personal experiences, this is the expected behavior of the Music app. If the Music app is active, even if nothing is playing, it’s supposed to start auto-playing music. This has been the expected behavior for years, even before Apple Music existed. I remember my 5 on iOS 6 functioning this way as well.

I don’t use AM very often (I have access since I have Apple One, but I mostly use Spotify) so the “issue” is super rare for me, overall.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Is this even an issue with CarPlay itself in the first place? Are people assuming CarPlay is at fault because that's what happens to be displaying on the screen? In my experience (along with what others have posted on here) it seems to depend on the brand/vehicle.

CarPlay in my parents' GMC vehicle does not auto-play music. My Chevy vehicle, on the other hand, auto-plays music every time I plug my iPhone in...and it doesn't even have CarPlay. I always force quit my apps and rarely ever leave the Music app open/paused in the background, so music auto-playing in my vehicle isn't because the Music app was open.

When I first realized music didn't auto-play in my parent's car, I thought it was because of CarPlay being smarter and couldn't wait to get a new vehicle with CarPlay myself...but I've learned that isn't exactly the case as I've had mixed experiences later on with car rentals.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
My car with CarPlay starts with whatever I left it on. So if I turned off the car with the music paused, it will be paused the next time I start it.

Reactions: Wizec and Rychiar

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
For those of you that do have this issue, does a Personal Automation in Shortcuts work to pause the music right away when CarPlay connects?

Trigger: When CarPlay Connects
Action: Pause music

I suppose there could be a timing issue and might need to put a Wait action in there first.

I was hoping to do something similar for my non-CarPlay vehicle (when Music app opens as the trigger), but apparently it just auto-plays music without opening the app (it's not in the background or app-switcher).

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I think it's obvious that no Apple VP uses Carplay. The fact that Carplay auto-plays blaring music immediately once hooked in (music that wasn't playing before) is beyond annoying. It does this every time.

I read somewhere that it is because of some legacy iPod protocol buried in Apple's auto protocol; however, are you saying Apple can't ignore the command on the iPhone side?
This doesn’t happen in my car.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
That’s your car manufacturer, not apple. My Honda doesn’t have a simple mode. i know chevys do and it’s super annoying.
Apple must have implemented the simple mode in order for the car to switch over to it in the first place. All I'd like is an option to disable it when I have a passenger.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
I have two Kenwood HU's in my vehicles: a KMM-BT5xxx in my Honda, and an older KMM-BT7xxx in my Ford.

I am usually listening to an audiobook from Scribd.

The BT5 utilises an AptX BT interface, and intermittently (the regularity of such frequency leads me to use the word 'obnoxiously'), it defaults to playing the last-listened item in my music library.

The BT7 regularly just sits there, until I poke it.

I merely expect that the handoff would mirror my current consumption, and not insist that I default to something I rarely consume.

I have become increasingly-dispondent that the neural-engine in my phone is not as smart as I thought it was *shrugs*

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I appreciate everyone shrugging their shoulders and saying "I have no idea what you're talking about!" But CarPlay automatically starting playback has been a thing for years. Where have you guys been that you don't know about it?

People wrote shortcuts and automations to stop it: How to stop CarPlay's autoplaying madness

People sold silent tracks to stop it: A silent, 10-minute song is climbing the iTunes charts

And the Apple discussion forums have thousands of complaints from 2017 until today: discussions.apple.com

I mean, I'm glad that you don't have this problem, but since it's a widespread and well-known issue, so how can you not know that countless people do?
I am not stealing different car models to know about these issues. It doesn’t happen in my car and I drive lot of rentals frequently. Submit an issue with apple and your car manufacturer.

Reactions: AlexMac89

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
Apple VP's are probably being driven around.

If I was playing music when I shut the car off, it will start when I plug it back in but it isn't like how the op describes it. When was the last time your car head unit was updated? Is your phone up-to-date and rebooted recently?

An 11 inch screen (with Waze running), music playing and the summer heat is overheating my phone, even with the air conditioning running.

I think it's obvious that no Apple VP uses Carplay. The fact that Carplay auto-plays blaring music immediately once hooked in (music that wasn't playing before) is beyond annoying. It does this every time.

I read somewhere that it is because of some legacy iPod protocol buried in Apple's auto protocol; however, are you saying Apple can't ignore the command on the iPhone side?

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
The fact that Carplay auto-plays blaring music immediately once hooked in (music that wasn't playing before) is beyond annoying. It does this every time.
I haven't had this happen using CarPlay, but I have had it happen when I've got an iPhone plugged into a USB port on a car that is using it in some kind of "iPod" mode. It's a trash experience. What I noticed was that it would default to the very first alphabetically sorted artist in my music. There was even a completely silent track you could buy on iTunes with an artist starting with "Aaaaaaa..." just to compensate for this lame bug.

But as others have pointed out, CarPlay or not, it's more to do with the car's poor interface than it is to the iPhone, which is just obeying whatever dumb default command the car is sending out.

Reactions: TechnoMonk

AMPod

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2023
My 2023 Volkswagen Taos has wireless CarPlay. Nothing like this has ever happened in the 8 months I've had the car.
I have the Atlas. Volkswagon has a setting on there radio to set volume on start up you can also can have it turn down when vehicle is in reverse.

I have a list of problems though first with wireless CarPlay there is no option to pick the phone when my wife and I are in the car. It is a free for all this is probably more of an car issue then apple. If you turn off Wi-Fi to kick your device off it doesn't allow it and forces the toggle back on. When my wife connects and she gets on Facebook or tiktok then it plays over Carplay there should be a list of apps that allowed to play audio over Carplay so this can be prevented. On my Mazada with wired Carplay in general when the volume is up it will blast. With wired I have had it play apple music randomly it seems like when you plug in the phone it acts different and this has happened with iOS 17 beta. When I am sitting at my children's practices or picking them up from school and you are watching video content the delay on both wired and wireless is horrible it never matches the video.

One thing you can do to stop the random song playing is use shortcuts. When my phone connected to carplay I have it connect to waze because I want to see the cops. In the morning it tells me the weather, asks where I am heading, tells me the eta, Then plays a podcast and after the podcast is over asks me if I like to play Music.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
I’m sorry, where is the proof promised in the title?
Never promised anything!!! ;P

I'm more so saying (with comic hyperbole) that it is obvious CarPlay isn't utilized by Apple's higher-ups or else it would have more attention to it.

If you go to TheDauterive's comment earlier on this thread, you can see it's definitely an issue.

I've had various iPhones (all setup as new), various CarPlay enabled cars, and this has happened a lot (if not most of the time). I get some people want music playing when they start their car, but it should be optional.

macguru212

macrumors demi-god
Apr 17, 2009
AZ/NYC/Tokyo
This used to happen to me, but if I stop the music before turning the car off the issue goes away.

Before I figured this out, the one track that would always autoplay was Cheech & Chong’s Acapulco Gold “ No stems or seeds that you don’t need, new Acapulco Gold is the baddest weed” really loud.

:p

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
I have a Kia and it doesn’t have this issue at all. It will auto play if I have or recently had music playing before getting in the car but then it will resume playing what I was playing.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

Have your automaker call Chevrolet and ask them how they did it.

SilvioInfante

Suspended
Jul 27, 2023

Yeah no. Simply doesn't happen. If its happening to you, thats the exception.

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022

3 different Hondas with CarPlay and never had this issue. Maybe it's in your car's settings? Kinda like how you have to turn Maps down while it's talking because your car separate's the different audios out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.