Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
From what I've been reading:

PS1/PS2 pscaling is just that: upscaling. You will have slightly improved image quality at best, but the system is NOT playing the games in HD.

DVD Upscaling is superb. The PS3 is now the leading DVD/Blu-ray player on the market. Blu-ray will also, finally, scale properly to 720p. Good news for those of you with older HDTVs.

Media Streaming needs work - format compatibility is not so great. The PS3 does not like M4A (iTunes AAC) files and will not play them, and I'm hearing that there are also issues with MP4 and h.264 video playback. They also don't have support for Matroska (MKV and MKA) format files, which means that a good chunk of HD video content isn't going to work either.

I'll get home and test it out myself tonight.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
A nice update which add's features that should have really been there from the off. Now the only thing I have to do is get round to downloading it :eek:

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
I'm looking forward to seeing how Ico and Shadow of the Colossus look now.

If you find out, let me know. Those are the two games I'd most likely be playing on it.

Also, gloss is like my MRF soulmate... Haibane avatar, love of Fumito Ueda games, Space Ghost quote in the sig... :D ;)

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
^^Amazing

Yep, FFXII looked just as amazing when I put it in last night.
Although I didn't even have full screen on yet.

Going to try that tonight. ;)

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
If you find out, let me know. Those are the two games I'd most likely be playing on it.

Also, gloss is like my MRF soulmate... Haibane avatar, love of Fumito Ueda games, Space Ghost quote in the sig... :D ;)

Heheh. I'm flattered.

I'll let you know how they look tonight. I'm probably going to give it a shot as soon as I get home. I'm kind of psyched, now. I haven't had a chance to actually play through Ico yet (I'm only a couple of hours into it) so this might be the nudge that finally gets that snowball rolling.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Someone on the 1up boards posted these:

Before:
100_3761.jpg

After:
100_3760.jpg

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Not sure why..........but;
These look much better than those^, I wonder if people are using SD tv's, or forgetting to adjust their settings.

huh.....the images aren't showing up.

thumbs maybe:

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I was not expecting this but this is grand. DVD upscaling is excellent...not on par with blu-ray but is indeed good.

I played a little SoTC in 1080i today and all the jags and what have you are gone...PS2 games looks really good now on a HDTV. I almost took SoTC for a PS3 blu-ray game....its doing a really good job of scaling and smoothing.

Remember guys to change the settings for the PS2/PS1 games under settings.....smooth and wide will really improve your viewing experience.

Some people are having luck with itunes streaming...I haven't tried it yet but I will later and report.

Good Job Sony.....NOW all I need is that accessing XMB/messaging during games....come on Sony I know you are good for it:)

Bless

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Yep, I went out and bought SoTC today, for that very reason.
I just started FFXII(7 hours into it), so now I am torn on which one to play first.. :confused:

Also, going to replay GOW and then pick-up GOWII (back to back) :D

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Yes, but what if you have a load of personal media on your PS3. (music, pictures, etc., not found on PSN/CONNECT)
Now instead of having to transfer it to your PSP while at home, to go show your friends, you can download/stream it right form you PS3 HDD over the net.

I agree if you have a lot of multimedia content this is much easier than trying to "synch" your PS3 and PSP. iTunes used to be able to do this (share your music over the net instead of just a LAN) but the feature got pulled about two days (for obvious reasons).

Lethal

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Is this an upscaled PS2 game, or a PS3 game at 1080? In your results, the "after" picture is dramatically better to my eyes!

It is an upscaled PS2 game :) It looks awesome. The difference is awe inspiring.

I bought GT4 today, with the 4 or 5 PS2 games, and the 9 PS3 games i have it should be a fun Memorial day weekend :)

Ed

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
That is God of War 2; a PS2 only game.
The better picture is using PS2 smoothing, as well as richer(and allegedly) deeper colors now(HDMI 1.3 features).
Both were unlocked with yesterday's 1.8 FW upgrade.

Note: a lot of new games had progressive scan already, some did not.
I would imagine the 480p games are gonna look better in 1080p(with the above features turned on), than some of the older games.
As I have been looking around today noticing that some of the comparisons are not as clear cut, as the differences in this one.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ Yeah as soon as you enable widescreen and progressive on GOW2, it looks exactly the same as it ever did on your ps3, as it automatically makes the res 720x480p

The only way to see it upscaled on the ps3 is to keep 4:3 ratio and disable progressive option in the game menu.

Then you have to have black borders left and right, so it's all a big trade off in that regard.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
^ Yeah as soon as you enable widescreen and progressive on GOW2, it looks exactly the same as it ever did on your ps3, as it automatically makes the res 720x480p

The only way to see it upscaled on the ps3 is to keep 4:3 ratio and disable progressive option in the game menu.

Then you have to have black borders left and right, so it's all a big trade off in that regard.

MRU,

Settings -> Game Settings -> PS2 Upscaler -> Select Full Screen

Also turn on smoothing which is the only other user settable option in that menu.

You can play upscaled PS2/1 games on the PS3 in full screen, you just have to tell it to do that in the settings. The default is normal 4:3

Ed

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
All I have to say to the PS/PS2 upscaling is....WOW. It really does the job, and does it very well. I'm very impressed. :eek:

It would be nice if Sony added in an option in the Home menu where you can select between 4:3 (Normal) or 16:9 (Full-Screen), so that you don't have to quit the game and go back to switch the setting. :cool:

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I'm actually kind of depressed, because Ico looks like trash.

The media streaming doesn't like my library either. Boo.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
I'm actually kind of depressed, because Ico looks like trash.

The media streaming doesn't like my library either. Boo.

You know, I actually think Ico was never rendered at 640 x 480. I remember when I played it when it first came out, and I never saw any "interlace-flicker", common whenever any video sources was played through an SDTV at 640 x 480. Whenever there wasn't interlace-flicker, it meant that the resolution was always at 320 x 240...So Ico was probably rendered at that resolution? :confused:

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
You know, I actually think Ico was never rendered at 640 x 480. I remember when I played it when it first came out, and I never saw any "interlace-flicker", common whenever any video sources was played through an SDTV at 640 x 480. Whenever there wasn't interlace-flicker, it meant that the resolution was always at 320 x 240...So Ico was probably rendered at that resolution? :confused:

Yeah, that may be so. The opening sections have all kinds of image problems. It's a shame.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Ugh, the incredible difficulty of getting functional streaming working on the PS3 is making me appreciate the effort that Apple put into making :apple: TV work so seamlessly.

The PS3's UPnP support is trash. The Cell is an unbelievably powerful processor when it comes to video transcoding. There's absolutely no reason it shouldn't be able to play anything I throw at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.