Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
MRU,

Settings -> Game Settings -> PS2 Upscaler -> Select Full Screen

Also turn on smoothing which is the only other user settable option in that menu.

You can play upscaled PS2/1 games on the PS3 in full screen, you just have to tell it to do that in the settings. The default is normal 4:3

Ed

Ed your a genius ;) But you already knew that :)

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
No worse than the next guy(who is concerned with piracy, licensing, etc.)
Of course, one thing you can count on, is improved support! ;)
Give it time, it will get better......

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
What Sony needs to do is release a user-friendly media server program for Windows/Mac that will properly transcode (on the fly or otherwise) and supply the PS3 with compatible media. If nerds like me can't even figure out how to get the Media Hub capability working properly, it's a major flop. Come on, Sony, you've got powerful hardware, now give us the capability to play AAC (!), AVI (!!), etc. on it. There's just no excuse for such a half-assed implementation.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
What Sony needs to do is release a user-friendly media server program for Windows/Mac

Sony have always been the pit's when it comes to macusers. To sony - they dont exist...... The only stylish crowd are the vaio boys. ;)
Dont expect to see Sony software for mac's anytime soon.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Yeah, if only it could be as robust as Media Connect. :p

Sony and Apple are starting to lean more towards a productive partnership, and I am curious to see where it will end.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Sony have always been the pit's when it comes to macusers. To sony - they dont exist...... The only stylish crowd are the vaio boys. ;)
Dont expect to see Sony software for mac's anytime soon.

Hell, in this case I'd be thrilled to see a working transcoder/server for the PC. I mean, seriously - I tried using WMP 11, but the PS3 doesn't want to read my video files as encoded, so I reencoded a couple as PS3-compatible MPEG4, and...WMP 11 refuses to add them into the Videos directory because they're not WMV or AVI, either of which the PS3 will read.

So, either the PS3 recognizes the file or WMP recognizes the file, but not both at once.

Home run, this one is.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
VLC maybe.......
global-diagram.jpg

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
VLC *snip*

Setting up VLC transcoding is the exact opposite of user friendly. I'm talking about something like the iTunes/:apple:TV relationship. Drag and drop files into the program, they're instantly available to the PS3 and stream without difficulty. The PS3 is roughly 309859082713098x more powerful than the :apple:TV in terms of hardware. It shouldn't be difficult.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I didn't think the :apple: TV could handle multiple video formats (such as XviD, DivX)? If it does I'll order 1 today. If it doesn't the post above mine was pretty pointless. ;)

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I didn't think the :apple: TV could handle multiple video formats (such as XviD, DivX)? If it does I'll order 1 today. If it doesn't the post above mine was pretty pointless. ;)

It runs a stripped down OSX, so people have been able to hack into it and place the appropriate codecs in the system folder. Voila. Compatibility.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
You didn't seriously just say using VLC to transcode wasn't user friendly and then suggest the :apple: TV (which sure you can mod to play other formats... but you need to take it apart with a screw driver, remove the HDD, connect HDD to a Mac, then use the OS X command line to edit and add files to the :apple: TV HDD, chuck the HDD back in the :apple: TV, put it back together, log on to it via SSH, use the OS X command line again to do stuff) was just drag and drop?

Seriously you've made my day!

I think I'll wait and see what comes out for the PS3. If that isn't what I want I'll just buy a Mac mini.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Lets give it time....I Know Nulldriver is looking into this as they should. The potential is there and in time it will flourish.

Anybody notice there are setting now to give you an even richer/smoother colors....This update is just full of it.

I'm going to wait and see what the guys at null have in store for us because right not eyeconnect/twonkyvision are a little shaky.

This kinda eliminates big PSP cards if you soley use your mem stick for movies/pics/music...don't know about if games will stream across the net.

Bless

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
You didn't seriously just say using VLC to transcode wasn't user friendly and then suggest the :apple: TV (which sure you can mod to play other formats... but you need to take it apart with a screw driver, remove the HDD, connect HDD to a Mac, then use the OS X command line to edit and add files to the :apple: TV HDD, chuck the HDD back in the :apple: TV, put it back together, log on to it via SSH, use the OS X command line again to do stuff) was just drag and drop?

Seriously you've made my day!

I think I'll wait and see what comes out for the PS3. If that isn't what I want I'll just buy a Mac mini.

I'm much more comfortable with hardware. ;P

But the idea is that the :apple:TV is far more efficient, as once you update the codecs it can read the files natively. The PS3, for some bizarre reason, requires that your PC/Mac transcode the video into MPEG2 in REAL TIME in order to be able to play, which a) slows the hell out of your PC and b) won't work very well unless your machine has a lot of processing power. Ideally, I want to just store all my music and video on my PC and have the PS3 access it, stream it, and decode it natively, as the updated :apple:TV would be able to. But it can't.

On the upside, Shadow of the Colossus remains one of the most amazing games ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.