Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
http://www.nintendoplayers.com/article.php?articleID=954

Tracking PS3 sales is pretty interesting. They've been consistently outselling Microsoft in Japan of course, but only because Microsoft generally sells with around a 1% marketshare.

The PS3 sold 11,914 this week in Japan. The XBox 360 sold 3,154. Neither of these are particularly impressive, but PS3 sales are sharply up; almost as much as the PS2 this week (16,000), but still less than half that of the PSP (32,000). For comparison, the DS sold almost 140,000, which is down from last week.

Are people buying more PS3's, or is this slight increase the result of the price drop (did that extend to Japan?). My Summer Vacation 3 was released in Japan today.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Peter Moore said:
"I built a business plan [for Japan], but I don't think my expectations in Japan were anything close to what Sony's expectations are. They are failing. They're missing their plan by much more than I'm missing my plan."

Microsoft says otherwise: Sony's Business 'Crumbling' in Japan :p

j/k

On a serious note, I don't think its the price drop, as their price was dropped at launch.
I think as more and more software gets released you will see more and more sales
(although a price drop always helps) ;)

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I hope Folklore isn't another Nipponophile visual wankfest (a la Final Fantasy) - I'm really looking forward to having something nice, simple and elegant to play.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
It must be the software then (as Ali mentioned in the article). It was #7 on the game charts, only PS3 title in the top ten.

The Microsoft article is...interesting...

Percentage-wise, Microsoft is right. Sony went from outselling the GameCube 4-to-1 to being outsold by the Wii 6-to-1. And Microsoft has increased their marketshare by over 10 times (I remember weeks in which the XBox sold under 100).

However, increasing a miniscule marketshare by 10x is still a lot less than a huge marketshare decreased. Microsoft has no right to be arrogant like that when Sony still outsells them 4-to-1 (although they should feel they are doing a tad better than they did last time).

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I think Mr. Moore needs to focus on those millions of Red eye 360s than sony increase in Japan.

As the software becomes avail the PS3 sales will increase just like the other consoles...slow start sure but the 3rd/1st party games will come to bring in the suck/good games.

Bless

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
I've more or less said this in other threads.
Since I bought my PS3, everytime I go to my local store, there are a dozen Wiis sitting there but there is usually only 1 PS3 there at most. Sometimes 2, a 20GB and a 60GB. But that's it. They are all being bought.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I've more or less said this in other threads.
Since I bought my PS3, everytime I go to my local store, there are a dozen Wiis sitting there but there is usually only 1 PS3 there at most. Sometimes 2, a 20GB and a 60GB. But that's it. They are all being bought.

Are try to say PS3 is out selling Wii? Clearly we know this is false...

If not, why both saying what you did?

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
It's probably because people got tired to buyin new PS2's to replace their broken ones, and just decided to plop down the money for a PS3 :D

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
Are try to say PS3 is out selling Wii? Clearly we know this is false...

If not, why both saying what you did?
No, I'm saying that from my perspective, PS3 sales are increasing while Wii sales are decreasing.

If my post troubles you so much, why bother replying?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Whilst the PS3 and 360 battle it out for the acclaimed "2nd to last place" trophy, the PSP, Wii and DS sell in bucket loads.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
No, I'm saying that from my perspective, PS3 sales are increasing while Wii sales are decreasing.

If my post troubles you so much, why bother replying?

Must be a regional thing. People are still camping out in the D.C. Metro area for Wiis.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Definitely regional. Wii's still aren't in plentiful supply. If you want one you have to get up early in the morning. Quick online check at my nearest Argos tells me they have none in stock :eek: I don't get the Japan thing, I mean, they're selling extremely well out there. Best selling console at the moment.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
Definitely regional. Wii's still aren't in plentiful supply. If you want one you have to get up early in the morning. Quick online check at my nearest Argos tells me they have none in stock :eek: I don't get the Japan thing, I mean, they're selling extremely well out there. Best selling console at the moment.

I've been looking (though not camping), and since they were released, I've only ever (seriously) seen 2 Wii's for sale anywhere around me.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
There seems to plentiful supply of them here in Co.Kerry

Argos, GameStop, Smyths Toys, Harvey Normans.... all have stock.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
some have lots of stock, others don't i think currently it's more a supply thing who has how many in stock for all consoles and also if chains want to have it since after all the summer months aren't known as the strongest sale months

on ps3 sales in japan: we might have to wait next weeks to see if it's an long term thing or just a 1 game spike which even the 360 had in japan every now and then

madfuku

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2007
Fukuoka, Japan
The PS3 is a major embarrassment for us in Japan in my opinion (I am from Japan and Live in Fukuoka). I bought a PS3 hoping it was going to be some great device and it is now a speaker stand gathering dust.

Total garbage, our local stores from Yamada-Denki, ???????(Yodobashi-Camera), BEST and every major store has overstock of PS3's while WII's fly off the shelves.

Japanese who are real gamers are starting to come around to understand SONY dropped the ball on the PS3 and the XBOX 360 is clearly the better overall platform. AND, we still have barely any games here. A disaster.

I own all three systems here in Japan and even got my XBOX 360 to use the US XBOX Live and SONY has nothing on the XBOX 360.

And this is a Mac Forum I like to add that i even got an iphone :) fully working minus phone and it is amazing. Here's a pic of it next to my 3G high tech Japan phones which suck.

Attachments

• IMGA0404.jpg
    IMGA0404.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 782343607_7486c70ec0.jpg
    782343607_7486c70ec0.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 91

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Japanese who are real gamers are starting to come around to understand SONY dropped the ball on the PS3 and the XBOX 360 is clearly the better overall platform.
Thats why 360's are flying off the shelves.......because its so much better. :p

Whats your biggest disappointment, besides lack of early content?

madfuku

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2007
Fukuoka, Japan
Thats why 360's are flying off the shelves.......because its so much better. :p

Whats your biggest disappointment, besides lack of early content?

There is so many.

1. Lack of an XBOX Live type of community and marketplace
2. Price
3. Lack of Content totally sucks so far aside from Resistance
4. Big Size and Silly Shape
5. The inconsistent navigation and interfaces unlike XBOX 360

There's just so many. I even like my WII better than my PS3, though I admit I like playing mostly the classics on it. I really bought it for my GF to use.

The whole BluRay thing is silly to me. I never will buy a BluRay movie in Japan, it cost like $50 bucks or a HD-DVD movie for that matter I never seen them in Japan (HD-DVD).

I basically can get some really nice quality movies from XBOX Live if I really really need to have it in HD. Or pick it up from iTunes USA :) and view on AppleTV and my favorite, pick up TV shows we don't have in Japan or are many seasons behind via Bittorrent and dump it into iTunes to view on AppleTV.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
There is so many.

>>Something thats being handled...home;)..should of been implemented from the start though
2. Price
>>You got me there:D
>>Again something thats being handled...don't expect 100 epic games on a 8 month system
4. Big Size and Silly Shape
>>Which was/is the case with all of sony rev. A consoles...nothing new
5. The inconsistent navigation and interfaces unlike XBOX 360
>>I find the XMB a little better than the blades but both of them are weak at certain things

I won't touch the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray stuff...I really don't care about it or which format is the best. The PS3 has a lot of potential as well as the other consoles(none of them are reaching their potential in there first year)

Things will change sooner just like it did for the 360...I don't expect much of a console in its first year(maybe at least one good game)

Bless

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
HOME is in closed beta with open beta coming soon - patience ;)

2. Price
Overall costs(long-term and short-term) or just initial costs? - 360 can be more expensive in the long run
(replacing scratched games, shipping defective units back/forth, high priced accessories, LIVE subscription, etc.)

I said besides lack of games......:p

once the PS3 has been out for a year and a half, see if you still have all the same complaints.

btw - PS3 will have VOD(streaming/downloading) very soon, and their library will probably be a bit larger than that of the 360.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I just wish they sort out the audio output with a firmware, so that I dont have to go through menu screens everytime I want to change from HDMI to Optical output. GIVE ME BOTH PLEASEEEEEEE :D

That's my only hardware grumble really, oh and give me back rumble in my pad. Other than that I think it's a sound piece of engineering.

Game wise, yes theres a bit of a drought, but like the Rigzster said, I have at least found more titles to play on it that appeal to me, than the wii has managed to provide so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.