Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I just got another unit and both have coil whine.
[automerge]1574033707[/automerge]
What are the chances the coil whine goes away?

Not usually the case that it fixes itself.

Is the noise at all a function of the power supply being connected or not connected?

If it only occurs with the power supply connected, try it with a ground plug rather than the prongs directly attached to the power supply.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Have you checked the machine in store before walking out the door with it? Have you tried a UPS with line conditioner for your power source when plugged in? Any USB devices connected? Any adapters being used?

macsarecool123

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2019
Have you checked the machine in store before walking out the door with it? Have you tried a UPS with line conditioner for your power source when plugged in? Any USB devices connected? Any adapters being used?
Not usually the case that it fixes itself.

Is the noise at all a function of the power supply being connected or not connected?

If it only occurs with the power supply connected, try it with a ground plug rather than the prongs directly attached to the power supply.

I am using it right now using the battery and haven’t plugged it in. I didn’t try it in store as both units are low but still noticeable. Both units sounded the same.
[automerge]1574034449[/automerge]
No adapters or anything being used.

tskwara

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
This noise is fairly tied to design, with variations attributed to tolerances of suspect components (coils, capacitors, etc.). When I heard the sound in question on an Apple device for the first time, it didn't feel like the first time I've ever heard the sound.

tskwara

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
Should I just keep it and get used to it?

Swapping is a hassle, and there's no assurance that the replacement hardware doesn't sound the same. However, an exchange for this reason does signal something to the manufacturer to investigate and improve upon. It's really up to you, and your sensitivity to the issue.

Reactions: jbachandouris

macsarecool123

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2019
Your call. You could try for another replacement.
Swapping is a hassle, and there's no assurance that the replacement hardware doesn't sound the same. However, an exchange for this reason does signal something to the manufacturer to investigate and improve upon. It's really up to you, and your sensitivity to the issue.

Do you think I'll get used to it? It is very low and slightly annoying probably because I am thinking about it.

tskwara

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
Do you think I'll get used to it? It is very low and slightly annoying probably because I am thinking about it.

I don't think you'll get used to it in a way that makes you not hear it. But like a lot of hardware these days, the MBP isn't the only device making this type of sound. If it's any consolation, I had a 2018 Mac mini that made this sound, and it was used for audio tasks. I replaced it recently only for upping the SSD and not for an audio issue.

Apple2GS

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2016
US of A
Have you been able to isolate the sound? Does it occur with WiFi off or when plugged into an external monitor. How about when the screen is dimmed?

macsarecool123

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2019
Have you been able to isolate the sound? Does it occur with WiFi off or when plugged into an external monitor. How about when the screen is dimmed?

On both units it does it even when booting up. I don't have it setup with any external devices. I think I'm gonna keep it since it is really low.

Reactions: jbachandouris

milhous

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2007
Documented the issue with a service agent online and scheduled a Genius Bar reservation for this Thursday. Here's another recording of the noise. Again, rename .pdf to .m4a to listen. At 00:01, the power button is pressed and starts booting. Then at 00:26, I'm logging-in to the machine. The noises appear both with adapter connected and on battery power.
[automerge]1574040007[/automerge]
Just turned Wi-Fi off, then shutdown. After power on, I could still hear the noises during boot-up. It's also not connected to any external devices, and haven't yet imported any data from my 2013 MBP. It's running with a test account with all updates applied, and nothing else configured.

Attachments

• milhous_mbp16_coil_whine_part2.pdf
    312.8 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Disappointing to even see the words 'coil whine' in 2019 for a $2200+ machine in an aluminum enclosure. I had a PC laptop do that and back it went.

I have tinnitus as well and I could still hear it. Good luck OP.

Reactions: martyjmclean

milhous

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2007
Yes...these days you cant run from it
Also had this on 2018, probably on the upcoming 16", on surface laptop 3 and so on..
Easy to check with black magic disk...
This is really unfortunate. Could it be an Intel issue? I don't blame Apple entirely as there are similar issues with ThinkPads, Dells, etc. But the Late-2013 MBP I've had for 6+ years has no coil whine at all.​
Something happened along the way. But what?
[automerge]1574042863[/automerge]

Tried both battery power and adapter with no difference and no external devices connected. With regard to checking the machine before leaving, I opened the box at the Apple Store and performed a visual inspection with an employee present to make sure there were no imperfections and that it could boot to the desktop. But listening to coil whine at the store will be hard because of how noisy the store is, which is why I'm bringing along a recording they can listen to. I suppose they can always take the machine to their back rooms and listen there.

Last edited:

milhous

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2007
This is not scientific in anyway, but from some personal observations and MR comments, seems with the 2019 15s the 512gb had a much bigger change of coil whine compared to 1tb.
Very interesting. I downloaded Cinebench R20 and while dragging it from the disk image to the Applications folder, it made a steady whining noise during copy and stopped after completion. The same thing happened while making a duplicate copy of iMovie, a 2.8GB app. It could very well be storage-related.

Reactions: sat24

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
Sorry I am not able to hear anything weird at all 🤔 What I am looking (hearing) for?

I can't say where I hear anything even remotely resembling Coil Whine in the OP's audio clip (even using headphones), either. Though I can clearly hear it in this (non-Mac) video...

Coil Whine Explanation & Demonstration Linus Tech Tips - YouTube:

...and if I heard something like that coming out of my brandie-new MBP it'd be heading back to Apple for replacement.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I guess you hear this kind of noise, if you do, its just the ssd noise so nothing wrong with your mac
But depends of your level of your noise, if its more than this, then you can replace it. You should not hear this when you normal work, you should hear this in a very quiet room/when you put your ear next to the speaker where the ssd is placed

inwe

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2008
Spain
Did you try to block cpu turbo boost?, there is an app for disable the cpu turbo (someone post it on other post, I don't remember.. something like Turbo Boost Switcher). Check it out.

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
I guess you hear this kind of noise, if you do, its just the ssd noise so nothing wrong with your mac
But depends of your level of your noise, if its more than this, then you can replace it. You should not hear this when you normal work, you should hear this in a very quiet room/when you put your ear next to the speaker where the ssd is placed

Documented the issue with a service agent online and scheduled a Genius Bar reservation for this Thursday. Here's another recording of the noise. Again, rename .pdf to .m4a to listen. At 00:01, the power button is pressed and starts booting. Then at 00:26, I'm logging-in to the machine. The noises appear both with adapter connected and on battery power.
[automerge]1574040007[/automerge]

Just turned Wi-Fi off, then shutdown. After power on, I could still hear the noises during boot-up. It's also not connected to any external devices, and haven't yet imported any data from my 2013 MBP. It's running with a test account with all updates applied, and nothing else configured.

Hi milhous,

The noise I hear in your second audio file resembles that found in fokmik's YT link (above) and this MBP-specific video...

2018 MacBook Pro Crackling, Annoying Noise (SSD) - YouTube:

...where one of the commenters reports success following these steps...

<<

Axxxxx Fxxxxxxxx
1 year ago
I called Apple. Follow these steps. Basically non existent now.
1. Safe Mode: Shut down —> Power —> Shift
2. Reset System Management Controller: Shut down —> Power —> Shift + control + option + power
3. Reset RAM: Shut down —> Power —> Control + option + P + R

>>

...perhaps you can give this a try and report back here for those of us following this?!

:)

Reactions: sat24 and gndolfo

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
So that explains the noise I heard during initial setup in a very quiet room - was driving me nuts, but has since stopped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.