Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foldpages

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
United States
Just got off a call with support and they told me if I return it they can't get me a new one until mid December. Bunch of clowns.

I will see how it develops until next week and go to the apple store if nothing changes.
A repurchase might not be that easy because the Macbook got bought through work for.

Do you have a receipt? Do they have the item in stock at the store?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Again - anyone with this issue PLEASE post details of your SSD to see if we can narrow this issue down to any similar/identical set of criteria.

Go to Apple  > About This Mac.
Click SYSTEM REPORT.
Click STORAGE on the left column.

Please copy/paste the details from the right window about your SSD or post a screenshot.

This issue may be something as "simple" as a firmware update for the SSD or maybe even restricted to certain capacities of SSDs from a certain batch.

laflame

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
Do you have a receipt? Do they have the item in stock at the store?
Nope, but I might be able to get that through email. I don't know, support lady couldn't tell me if they had any in store.
edit: tried calling the apple store with the number support gave me but nobody picks up. Im starting to regret my purchase.

Again - anyone with this issue PLEASE post details of your SSD to see if we can narrow this issue down to any similar/identical set of criteria.

Go to Apple  > About This Mac.
Click SYSTEM REPORT.
Click STORAGE on the left column.

Please copy/paste the details from the right window about your SSD or post a screenshot.

This issue may be something as "simple" as a firmware update for the SSD or maybe even restricted to certain capacities of SSDs from a certain batch.
here is a screenshot

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-21 um 16.08.45.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-21 um 16.08.45.png
    205.4 KB · Views: 307

foldpages

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
United States
Nope, but I might be able to get that through email. I don't know, support lady couldn't tell me if they had any in store.
edit: tried calling the apple store with the number support gave me but nobody picks up. Im starting to regret my purchase.

here is a screenshot

You can check availability online. Go to Apple.com, pick your spec and it should give you an option to check stores based on your location.

laflame

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
You can check availability online. Go to Apple.com, pick your spec and it should give you an option to check stores based on your location.
I did that, they have it in store. Why isn't the apple support able to check for me?
Guess I have to go there in the next days to get a replacement.

The fifth line is reporting as "Writable: No" with translation?
And you had/have the coil whine issue?
Your SSD part is 500GB AP0512N
Yes it says "Writable: No" and yes I have the coil whine issue 70% of the time really noticeable.

milhous

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2007
Anyone with the issue:

Please go to Apple menu  > About This Mac > System Report
Click on storage on left column

Please copy/paste your report for the main volume or screenshot.
[automerge]1574350301[/automerge]
Will provide an update later this afternoon. Scheduled to meet a Genius and also got an e-mail from someone at Apple that wants to talk more about the coil whine issue.

Attachments

• IMG_7583.JPG
    IMG_7583.JPG
    331.6 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
That is two reports using 500GB AP0512N with this issue.

Might be interesting the SSD is being ID'd as "Writable: No".

Nearly all older machines (without T2) are ID'd as "Writable: Yes" for the system drive (Macintosh HD by default). Machines with upgradable SSDs (like MP5,1 with NVMe) also ID as "Writable: Yes".

foldpages

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
United States
That is two reports using 500GB AP0512N with this issue.

Might be interesting the SSD is being ID'd as "Writable: No".

Nearly all older machines (without T2) are ID'd as "Writable: Yes" for the system drive (Macintosh HD by default). Machines with upgradable SSDs (like MP5,1 with NVMe) also ID as "Writable: Yes".

Catalina creates two volumes on the SSD. Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data. Macintosh HD is showing as "Writable: No" and Macintosh HD - Data is showing as "Writable: Yes".

Last edited:

MikeVera

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
So I originally purchased the base configuration (i7, 5300M, 512GB), then decided I wanted to the i9, 5500M, 1TB.

I had them both last night prior to returning the base this morning.

I noticed there was some electrical noise when running the heaven benchmark. The 512GB was slightly nosier than the 1TB. But not much. I had to take it into a silent room (and turn the heat off in the house) and focus to really dial it in.

the fact thAt both have it make me wonder if it’s just the power management circuitry vs the SSD itself. Occasionally if I’m very focused on looking for it I can hear it when it’s under different types of load (SSD, GPU, CPU). Makes me think it may be correlated to higher power draw and parts that regulate this, vs one of those core components.

Regardless, I personally don’t find it too noticeable when not focused on it, or in normal environments.

granted. I used to have a Razer Blade 15 which sounded like chalk screeching across the board every time the CPU or GPU had any load whatsoever so maybe this is just nothing by comparison LOL

Reactions: Sanpete

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I have the AP1024N

I noticed the coil whine badly when I opened the Photos app for the first time today. I had the radio on and a space heater on and I could still hear it, mainly when my head was turned to the side and my ear was toward the computer. Ugh. I wish I could just not notice it, but I don't think that's possible...

nbuubu

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I used to have a Razer Blade 15 which sounded like chalk screeching across the board every time the CPU or GPU had any load whatsoever so maybe this is just nothing by comparison LOL

I had a Razer Blade 14 / 2017 that sounded like someone sitting my desk constantly crumpling sheets of paper and foil together.

FWIW my second MBP 16 has no noise that I can hear at all, and I'm very sensitive to coil whine. 2.4/32GB/8GB/2TB in-store loaded model, after replacing a staggeringly defective first model with same specs.

milhous

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2007
Update: Problem unresolved. Spoke to Genius, ran usual diagnostics and found no issues. Choices were to either send the unit away for repair, or get an exchange. I opted for the latter, but because I purchased the machine tax-free (DE) and went to another state's store (PA) to see the Genius, I would've had to pay sales tax on the exchange. Called the case manager at Apple, and left a message explaining the situation. Will likely be dealing with Apple directly on this from now on, and confirmed online that I have until 2020-
01-08 to return the machine.

I'm also trading-in my 2013 15-inch MBP and need to send it within the next 2 weeks. Since others have received identical exchanges with similar issues, I may have no choice but to start using it, see if the noises go away, then decide by January if I really want to keep, return, or exchange it.

Reactions: jerryk

suyangz

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
I have the same issue. I brought mine on 15th Friday at apple store. Its the i9 1tb version. When I got home and try to set it up I noticed this "electrical" noise. I compared it with my 2015 MacBook Pro 15", and the 16" make much louder noise than the 15" and it's constant. So I went back to the store and talked to genius at apple store.

However, I can't reproduce that noise since it's too noisy at the apple store. They lead me to a "quieter" walkway but I still can't reproduce the situation. They suggest I can give this machine for a week and they promise to give me a 30-day return warranty instead of 14. And when I got back to home, in my bedroom. I can hear the coil whine right away.

I decided to give it a try. But the sound lasts forever, so I returned it and get a new one.

And now I am typing on my "new" 16" MacBook Pro and it still making the same coil whine noise.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
Its actually funny that you mentioned it on this thread; I was hearing a REALLY loud hissing sound from my computer on the first and third day of owning it. I googled on YouTube and coil whine sounded like it. It only happens one in the blue moon though -- is It something that happens all the time or occasionally?

I'm not sure if I should swap my computer out...

milhous

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2007
@suyangz and @seeforyourself , have a look at Post #46. If what you're hearing is similar, then it's definitely from the SSD. Talk to Apple Support (phone or online chat) and open a case and be sure to specifically mention coil whine from the SSD. You may then get a followup call and be able to speak to someone from Apple. An easy way to reproduce the noise is to duplicate a large file, which is why I've mentioned before of right-clicking on iMovie and selecting Duplicate, which takes 5-10 seconds to copy and the noise is noticeable. But I think the more Apple gets these reports, the better chances we have of finding a solution. But I'm assuming if you bought the machines on or after 11/15, we have until January 8 to return them.

A trip to the Genius Bar will be useless because the diagnostic tests can't detect coil whine at all. So only go to an Apple Store for an exchange or refund.

In the meantime, I've begun migrating my data to the new machine and getting ready to return my 2013.

Last edited:

laflame

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
went to the apple store today and got a replacement. my new MacBook makes the same noises...

also it has the AP0512N SSD like the old one did

milhous

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2007
went to the apple store today and got a replacement. my new MacBook makes the same noises...

also it has the AP0512N SSD like the old one did
Sorry to hear. Would you mind opening a case with Apple to document the issue? The more people speak out on the problem, the more they can investigate and try to find a fix. And if you do, specifically mention coil whine with the SSD.

I hope Apple's beginning to understand the folly and financial consequences of soldering storage onto the logic board. While their justification is that system security can be stronger with trusted, non-removable storage, I don't think security is significantly weakened by making it modular and replaceable. This could easily be troubleshooted by swapping out the SSD with another, but we can't do anything more about it on our end.

Also, if anyone has the time, an indirect way of further testing would be to install and boot off an external SSD, and determine if the coil whine still exists. Because the internal storage would be bypassed, the system should stay silent. Unfortunately, I don't have a solid state external disk available to test.

I can also confirm popping noises with audio playback, but that's a whole other issue.

Performat

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2011
Received my BTO machine this morning, and I'm running into the same issue.

As soon as the noise disappears, I can reproduce it almost instantly by duplicating an app (iMovie for that matter) in my Applications folder, as suggested earlier.

My model is APPLE SSD AP2048N. I will see how the situation evolves, but I'll probably try my luck with a refund in the next days.

milhous

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2007
Received my BTO machine this morning, and I'm running into the same issue.

As soon as the noise disappears, I can reproduce it almost instantly by duplicating an app (iMovie for that matter) in my Applications folder, as suggested earlier.

My model is APPLE SSD AP2048N. I will see how the situation evolves, but I'll probably try my luck with a refund in the next days.
Assuming 2048 in the SSD model means 2TB storage? As I write this, I'm installing Anaconda3 and can hear whine as the installer progresses. And that's with the lid closed and using an external display. There isn't much we can do now except for either returning within the holiday window for a refund or exchange, or waiting it out to see if Apple can address this through an update. At the very least, consider opening a case with Apple Support so they know this is a common issue.

Reactions: Performat

laflame

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
Sorry to hear. Would you mind opening a case with Apple to document the issue? The more people speak out on the problem, the more they can investigate and try to find a fix. And if you do, specifically mention coil whine with the SSD.

I hope Apple's beginning to understand the folly and financial consequences of soldering storage onto the logic board. While their justification is that system security can be stronger with trusted, non-removable storage, I don't think security is significantly weakened by making it modular and replaceable. This could easily be troubleshooted by swapping out the SSD with another, but we can't do anything more about it on our end.

Also, if anyone has the time, an indirect way of further testing would be to install and boot off an external SSD, and determine if the coil whine still exists. Because the internal storage would be bypassed, the system should stay silent. Unfortunately, I don't have a solid state external disk available to test.

I can also confirm popping noises with audio playback, but that's a whole other issue.
How do I open a case with Apple about this?

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
So, did you record this in an anechoic test chamber, or in your living room? While there are clearly sounds that come and go, how can you possibly be certain of the source? Sorry, but "I know coil whine when I hear it" does not cut it. Your audio recorder (iPhone) has an automatic gain control. Absent louder noises, it's going to keep raising the gain until it finds a discernible signal.

I spent over 25 years in recording and broadcast studios. I can produce a very long list of noise sources that even in the best of facilities would drown this out, starting with velocity noise (moving air), which even in properly designed low-velocity studio air conditioning systems can still be discernible. I assure you my breathing is far louder than that, based on the relative loudness of the power switch. You ever record a Hammond B-3 with Leslie? How about the pedal and damper noise of a Steinway D, or the creaking chairs and rustling clothing of a string section? And when it comes to the amplifier hiss of a classic Fender guitar amp? Fuggedaboudit!

I once taught an audio recording course for radio producers, which I began with the following exercise: "Please be very quiet for the next five minutes, listen to the silence, and tell me what you've heard." The students would look at me like I was crazy; what noises could they possibly hear in a "soundproof" recording studio? If the studio was really soundproof they might have eventually detected the roar of blood flow through their eardrums, but what they actually learned was how to stop assuming and start listening, and how imperfect "soundproof" tends to be.

This thread is a classic example of the obsessive search for defects. They must exist, therefore they will be found. My question is, what practical harm are we talking about? These machines have fans that are undoubtedly louder than this, so if your intention is to record a podcast in the same room as the Mac, don't stick a mic right on top of the freaking machine - put it closer to the wheezing mouth and nose of the person you're recording. Altogether, this is not going to be the first-, or even twentieth-ranking source of environmental noise. Any Apple tech who accepts this Mac as "defective" is simply, to borrow a phrase from C-3PO, "Letting the Wookie win."

Reactions: Erlendks
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.