Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nevnevnev

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2019
I'm honestly not even sure everyone has the first issue, it's 8am here, home is dead quiet, ran Black Magic speed test, could here 0 coil whine. Like I said earlier, I haven't had any coil while since I got the machine regardless of what I do.

Is there anyway to check the SSD's manufacturer? If there's variance there maybe that's an explanation.

I haven't installed bootcamp yet so idk about the second issue though.

Maybe. Who knows for sure. The SSD issue sounds more like a fan noise than coil whine on my computer.

You can test the other noise I mention without boot camp. Just hold down option during a reboot until the hard drive selection screen appears. On that screen, does your computer make a noise?

avkam

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2014
I'm normally very sensitive for coil whine. I have had my 16" for couple of days now and I don't have a coil whine problem. If I put my ears next to MBP I can hear something, but it's very silent.
(2.4/64GB/5500M8GB/1TB - Production week: 48)

NeroAugustus

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2019
I've used the laptop more so I thought I'd had some info :

The very single time I've heard the SSD is when I installed the entire adobe suite. It was not extreme, just audible. That seems normal to me, my Blade 15's SSD also did some noise during heavy use but was also much worse, it could be heard during light usage as well.

Otherwise I tried the reboot+option key to drive selection, no noise at all.

Manufacture date 02/12

fifteenforty

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2019
Does anyone have any experience with returning an item like this? I don't want to be without the machine for 2 weeks whilst waiting for another custom build to arrive.

The coil whine is driving me crazy at night. Every mouse movement causes a high pitched noise. The SSD noise is also there, thankfully only really noticeable when installing software. Not what I'd expect for $4299.

manualCarry

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2019
I didn’t hear anything today when Turbo Boost was disabled. As soon as I enabled it again, the sounds were back in full force. Other factors I came across were having it on the charger (that’s when it’s most prominent) and it kinda Fades a little if you disable the SSD encryption.

As I haven’t had one without this annoying sounds I might really just return it for good and wait for the 2020 model.

10nm Intel Chip, WiFi 6 and Micro LED seem to be one heck of an upgrade.

I can confirm this is true with i9 2.3ghz, 32GB RAM, AMD 8GB, 1TB SSD.

I really don't think this is an SSD issue, because I can reproduce this noise just using Geekbench 5 alone. As well, I have noticed that this issue seems to become much more apparent when I connect my system to a TB3 dock (the sounds come out much louder and sooner).

Once I used the Turbo Boost switcher to disable Turbo Boost, I notice that the noises go away. I know that is NOT the solution, but I do think this re-enforces the idea that the processor is potentially the source.

Reactions: irichard87

irichard87

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2019
I can confirm this is true with i9 2.3ghz, 32GB RAM, AMD 8GB, 1TB SSD.

I really don't think this is an SSD issue, because I can reproduce this noise just using Geekbench 5 alone. As well, I have noticed that this issue seems to become much more apparent when I connect my system to a TB3 dock (the sounds come out much louder and sooner).

Once I used the Turbo Boost switcher to disable Turbo Boost, I notice that the noises go away. I know that is NOT the solution, but I do think this re-enforces the idea that the processor is potentially the source.

This is completely spot on for me too - disable Turbo Boost and my MacBook runs silently. Strange thing is that the noise seems to happen even at very light CPU loads (for example I have it now while downloading a macOS update - CPU load is around 5-8%). Very odd...

manualCarry

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2019
This is completely spot on for me too - disable Turbo Boost and my MacBook runs silently. Strange thing is that the noise seems to happen even at very light CPU loads (for example I have it now while downloading a macOS update - CPU load is around 5-8%). Very odd...

If you don't mind me asking what config do you have?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Has anyone attempted to narrow down the build dates to see if there is a correlation? It does on the surface seem some of the newer machines are reporting less noise/issue than initial 2-3 weeks. Have not 100% stayed on top of this thread, however.

manualCarry

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2019
Has anyone attempted to narrow down the build dates to see if there is a correlation? It does on the surface seem some of the newer machines are reporting less noise/issue than initial 2-3 weeks. Have not 100% stayed on top of this thread, however.
Oh, didn’t you report getting a good one?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Yes, mine is virtually silent. Fans kick on when rendering. Second power adapter I purchased is silent. Power adapter included makes noise, sounds like an old MagSafe adapter that was dropped. Bringing to Apple store for replacement in next week when they’re back in stock.

manualCarry

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2019
Yes, mine is virtually silent. Fans kick on when rendering. Second power adapter I purchased is silent. Power adapter included makes noise, sounds like an old MagSafe adapter that was dropped. Bringing to Apple store for replacement in next week when they’re back in stock.
Maybe the recent 2.4ghz are better? I just custom ordered one.

avkam

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2014
I have 2.4ghz 2019-11-25 and no coil whine problem at all. Also no difference Turbo Boost Switcher on vs off.

Reactions: manualCarry

manualCarry

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2019
It has nothing to do with inventory. I had the sound on every TB MacBook since they came out. The only one not doing it is a baseline 13 escape edition from 2017.
I really don’t get how this is so common with so little complaint. Apple Store doesn’t seem aware of this, general complaints seem to be low, but a lot of us on this forum seem to be encountering this on multiple machines?

TheSouthPaw45

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
Just unboxed my new 16inch 2.3GHz, 32 GB Ram, 1TB SSD, 8GB 5500 and it appears it does have the coil whine. Does anyone know if this goes away with time? I am currently writing this on my 2017 15 inch MacBook Pro while my new machine updates and I have never heard this sound on the 2017. Considering doing a return.

manualCarry

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2019
Just unboxed my new 16inch 2.3GHz, 32 GB Ram, 1TB SSD, 8GB 5500 and it appears it does have the coil whine. Does anyone know if this goes away with time? I am currently writing this on my 2017 15 inch MacBook Pro while my new machine updates and I have never heard this sound on the 2017. Considering doing a return.

I don't know, I would err to the side of caution if it bothers you enough. The Apple Tech told me that stuff like this might be solve through software updates over time. But I don't know if this is even something on their radar.

MrMacuser42

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2019
Just received my 16" with almost full spec and I have noticed coil whine in some situations. Bad.. really bad :( Not sure if I want to replace. I also had coil whine in my 2018 model and I lived with it..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.