Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happyhippo1337

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2013
Mine is now constantly making a clicking sound when it's loading apps. And this morning I had the fan go bad and do a very audible sound even at 1500 rpm - at least that's gone for now. Already seeing myself replacing this thing several times until they'll offer me to buy it back.

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2017
my second mbp 16", the first one had coil whine but changed because of backlight bleeding, this second one has terrible coil whine noise.

Last edited:

manualCarry

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2019
So I just got my hands on a 2.4ghz, 32gb, AMD 8GB and 1TB SSD. It was just produced last week, and perhaps its my flu preventing me from hearing things, but I was not able to get it to produce coil whine.

Reactions: Performat

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2017
So I just got my hands on a 2.4ghz, 32gb, AMD 8GB and 1TB SSD. It was just produced last week, and perhaps its my flu preventing me from hearing things, but I was not able to get it to produce coil whine.
How do we understand production date
[automerge]1577257147[/automerge]
I have absolutely zero coil whine.

2.4GHZ 32GB AMD 8GB 4TB SSD. Produced last week.
May I request a video during geekbench, I am sure i will hear Same sound with mine

Last edited:

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2017
You can watch listen and notice the most clear example of coil whine from 3:45 and 4:20 also experience this with geekbench 5 CPU test with putting you ear close to keyboard

I have 16 inches mbp 2,3/1TB and my device has coil whine which sources from turbo boost. I confirmed this because no sound on ssd speed test or gpu benchmark test. The sound only occurs if turbo boost is enabled during geekbench 5.0 CPU test. If turbo boost is disabled there is no sound.
What is the characteristic of this sound: very tiny, short time whine/buzz.

at this point if the mechanism of this sound is depended to vibrating Coils on motherboard due to voltage changes, how same devices with same motherboard have different outputs? How some people insist that they have zero coil whine???

the best way to notice this: start geekbench cpu test, wait for half of the test after that put otur ear close to keyboard, you will absolutely notice the very tiny electrical sound in every label/category for exp PDF render to face recognition or pass from face recog to particle physics.

If some one proove that there is no whine with video. I will congratulate him/her

Last edited:

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2017
I'm normally very sensitive for coil whine. I have had my 16" for couple of days now and I don't have a coil whine problem. If I put my ears next to MBP I can hear something, but it's very silent.
(2.4/64GB/5500M8GB/1TB - Production week: 48)
You will notice during cpu benchmark test because it is not related with ssd it is caused of turbo boost
[automerge]1577277907[/automerge]
I have never heard it. I've taken mine into a completely silent room and duplicated iMovie, I scroll through my 20,000 iTunes song library, I've downloaded items to the SSD, and I don't hear it. I can absolutely hear my external SSD's make this noise but I do not hear it on my 16", which I guess is a good thing.

you will hear it during geekbench CPU test while passing from one category to other. Because it is caused from turbo boost

Last edited:

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2017
Just ran geek bench, no sound but the fan if I put my ear up the computer. I'm very happy with my MBP16

just watch 4:10 you will hear it during geekbench CPU test while passing from one category to other. Because it is caused from turbo boost. it starts in the second half of test duration and just put your ear a little close to keyboard.

[automerge]1577298765[/automerge]
S

same Here.

just watch 4:10 you will hear it during geekbench CPU test while passing from one category to other. Because it is caused from turbo boost. it starts in the second half of test duration and just put your ear a little close to keyboard.

[automerge]1577298796[/automerge]
I have absolutely zero coil whine.

2.4GHZ 32GB AMD 8GB 4TB SSD. Produced last week.

@happyhippo1337 @Viamusic10000
@milhous
@Arise2B @T-Bob @irichard87 @intrepidcase @bsbeamer @lewisflude @impulse462

Last edited:

-=Hot|Ice=-

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2018

[automerge]1577298765[/automerge]

[automerge]1577298796[/automerge]

I've been using Photoshop and Blender and I don't have any coil whine....

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2017
I've been using Photoshop and Blender and I don't have any coil whine....

because fan noise masks the coil whine...it is so easy to clarify if you record an audio very close to keyboard during geekbench CPU test in quiet room and share. I will tell every detail with miliseconds...

avkam

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2014
You will notice during cpu benchmark test because it is not related with ssd it is caused of turbo boost
[automerge]1577277907[/automerge]

you will hear it during geekbench CPU test while passing from one category to other. Because it is caused from turbo boost

Actually I don’t have a problem during Geekbench at all.

-=Hot|Ice=-

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2018
because fan noise masks the coil whine...it is so easy to clarify if you record an audio very close to keyboard during geekbench CPU test in quiet room and share. I will tell every detail with miliseconds...

The point I'm trying to make is that I don't have any of the issues you are experiencing. My fans don't ramp up to insane levels where I can't hear a buzz. They'll ramp up to a moderate amount, they just won't go crazy.

Reactions: Performat

avkam

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2014
Also my fans doesn't ramp up (too much) during Geekbench. Same goes when connected to 4K monitor. Fans stay silent. Definitely there are some bad 16"s. Apple's quality isn't the same as it used to be. Luckily I got the good one (MBP>2.4/5500M8gb/64gb).

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
If we are really discussing coil whine ...

Coil whine is caused by transformers or inductors vibrating due to the magnetic field they generate. For a normal power transformer that would then result in a continuous tone of 60Hz (50 in Europe) with a load dependent volume.

Where do we have inductors in the MBP that are switched at a frequency in the audible range?

I do not know, but some of the descriptions in this thread do not sound like coil whine to me.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
Which is why I'm unsure if what I'm hearing is the same thing others are hearing and describing (I don't think everyone in this thread is describing the same noise). The phenomenon that I'm hearing is what you can hear when you scroll through your library on the Music app. This sound occurs on my previous MacBook Pro too, it's just quieter and harder to notice.

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
I found some dust on my MacBook Pro, seriously... computers make noise, show me a computer that makes no noise when you use it or stress it. You guys are looking for problems

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2017
The point I'm trying to make is that I don't have any of the issues you are experiencing. My fans don't ramp up to insane levels where I can't hear a buzz. They'll ramp up to a moderate amount, they just won't go crazy.

I claim and insist that i can prove the sound if you capture an audio or video in a silent room and put your recorder close to keyboard. If you are self confident about this, i am waiting the record

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2017
Just got the stock 2.6GHz model and noticed coil whine while the system is booting, and when clicking buttons in System Preferences. This is after the Catalina 10.15.1 Supplemental Update was applied which specifically addresses issues with this model.

I don't have time at the moment to investigate further, but will report back in the coming days as I put the machine through its paces. I may also try switching the outlet plug to a 3-prong grounded model to see if that helps.

Attached is a 30 second clip taken from my iPhone 6S Plus. I placed it directly on top of the left speaker grille, and pressed the power button to start booting. Rename the extension from .pdf to .m4a to listen as I can't attach m4a's directly for some reason.

dude could you please upload an audio that recorded n same conditions during geekbench 5 CPU test, i will be very happy
[automerge]1577517721[/automerge]
I could hear sometimes as SSD on the 16" MBP works. My 2.5" SanDisk SSD sounds exactly the same. But that is not coil whine, which means (and sounds) much differently. The sound of SSD however is very subtle and does not bother at all. If anything is more loud than that is fingers swiping on trackpad, which actually makes similar sound as the SSD.

could you please upload an audio which recorded in silent room during geekbench 5 CPU test
[automerge]1577517753[/automerge]
I notice the noise mostly when I first start up the computer. It's not so much a whine as much as it's kind of a "crackling" sound.
could you please upload an audio which recorded in silent room during geekbench 5 CPU test
[automerge]1577517875[/automerge]
I notice the noise mostly when I first start up the computer. It's not so much a whine as much as it's kind of a "crackling" sound.

[automerge]1577517901[/automerge]
Actually I don’t have a problem during Geekbench at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.