Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GigabitEthernet

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
United Kingdom
I’ve been using an AOL email address for my Apple ID for over 14 years. What am I missing here?
If you had changed that to an iCloud email address, you would not have been able to change it back to your AOL email address until very recently. Your only options were changing to another iCloud email. That’s the change.

Reactions: Caliber26

GigabitEthernet

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
United Kingdom
I'm confused by this discussion.

My AppleID uses my gmail account, and it has been that way for a long time (years). My iCloud e-mail is also active but not used for logging into my AppleID account.

I suppose that I set it up this way in the beginning, but it has been such a long time ago that I don't recall.
Let me try and clarify.

Up until very recently, if you had changed your Apple ID email address from your Gmail address to your iCloud email, you could not then change it back to your Gmail email address ever again. Your only choice was to change it to another iCloud address. That is what has changed.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I'm confused by this discussion.

My AppleID uses my gmail account, and it has been that way for a long time (years). My iCloud e-mail is also active but not used for logging into my AppleID account.

I suppose that I set it up this way in the beginning, but it has been such a long time ago that I don't recall.
I’ll give my example. Before I bought an iPhone and before I bought into Macs I signed up for an account in iTunes on Windows. That is the Gmail account.

When I bought my first iPhone during the initial setup process it prompted me to set up an iCloud account. Actually I think it as @me at the time. So I logged into iCloud with the @me account but I had to log into the App Store with my Gmail account and since then that’s what I’ve had to do on new iPhones and my Macs.

Someone once said that I could have just logged into iCloud with my existing App Store account. Maybe that’s true but I don’t remember being given that option since I was prompted to create the @me account. Now I’m stuck logging in with two different accounts. It’s not the end of the world but it would be nice to use just one account for both.

Reactions: CommanderData

GigabitEthernet

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
United Kingdom
I've never had my Apple ID as an iCloud email address. I have had no difficulty in changing the Apple ID email address as and when required either and I last did so about 6 months ago. Heck my Apple ID predates the whole iCloud thing.

The only limitation I have ever seen mentioned has been the prohibition on changing a primary iCloud email address to one of its own aliases.
If you never changed it to an iCloud address, you’ve always been able to change it to another email. It’s that if you changed it to an iCloud address in the past, you could never change it to another email (non-iCloud) ever again.

GigabitEthernet

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
United Kingdom
I simply asked a question. You didn’t want to answer and that is fine. I didn’t say it can’t be done. I asked a question and you reply with thread links which isn’t answering my question. I wanted to know for my own benefit not yours.

I won’t bother with this thread any more if you are going to be rude. Forget it.

No the email address was not listed in the section you mentioned.

I don’t see how it’s relevant to our discussion, as you’ve always been able to add addresses there. But if your primary address used for the Apple ID was an iCloud address, you could not change it to a non-iCloud address until very recently. That’s the PSA I have raised.

I guess I am saying, I don’t understand the basis of your question. Please clarify.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Let me try and clarify.

Up until very recently, if you had changed your Apple ID email address from your Gmail address to your iCloud email, you could not then change it back to your Gmail email address ever again. Your only choice was to change it to another iCloud address. That is what has changed.

Got it. Thanks for clarifying. I see why it would be an issue, although as long as you have an Apple ID, you also have iCloud e-mail, so why not have them both associated together? The iCloud e-mail address is not going away, as long as you continue to have the Apple account.

Whereas, folks do tend to change gmail or other e-mail addresses from time to time.

Just making a comment, not trying to be argumentative. I understand the reason for the original question now, thanks.

GigabitEthernet

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Got it. Thanks for clarifying. I see why it would be an issue, although as long as you have an Apple ID, you also have iCloud e-mail, so why not have them both associated together? The iCloud e-mail address is not going away, as long as you continue to have the Apple account.

Whereas, folks do tend to change gmail or other e-mail addresses from time to time.

Just making a comment, not trying to be argumentative. I understand the reason for the original question now, thanks.
In my case, it was annoying as all account notifications would go to the iCloud email and not my Gmail email. I don’t use the iCloud email for anything. Also I had found with Apple Support that information would go there, as well as shipping notifications, etc.

It was my mistake that I “converted” it in the first place but I am glad I have now been able to change it back again.

You haven’t done anything wrong, I’m not trying to pick an argument with anyone I just became a little bit frustrated with one user who I felt was trying to undermine my post. Thanks for the question.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
In my case, it was annoying as all account notifications would go to the iCloud email and not my Gmail email. I don’t use the iCloud email for anything. Also I had found with Apple Support that information would go there, as well as shipping notifications, etc.

Thanks for clarifying. I also do not use my iCloud email for anything of significance, however I do have my iCloud email set up on my phone and computer so that it is kept up to date. I have different e-mail accounts that I use for different purposes, to keep newsletters and other things separate from more business related correspondence. I can see why you would want to have notifications coming to the email account that you use most frequently or want important messages sent to.

Reactions: GigabitEthernet

lsara

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2015
I have an iCloud email address that I use for all iCloud stuff. I have a Gmail address for the App Store. Has anyone successfully changed their App Store email to their iCloud email successfully without losing any purchases?

I’d love to use my iCloud email for both/everything but I’m scared to try as I have a lot of purchased content attached to my Gmail email.

The most you could do is set up Family Sharing with your Gmail address and start using iCloud for all purchases moving forward. You will still retain access to the purchases through Gmail via Family Sharing.

brianmowrey

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2020

Here is the modified text, for those having trouble understanding what changed.​

August:
Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 11.29.34.png

September:
Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 11.29.44.png

Which primarily impacted any Apple ID created as a new dotMac, MobileMe, or iCloud account (creating a new Apple ID during setup of those services rather than using a previously created Apple ID).

It does not require the new email to be in your "reachable ats," but it might not let you enter an email that is another Apple ID's reachables. My second gmail is unavailable even though it's never been used as a reachable on my main Apple ID, but I think I used it as a recovery email for one of the handful of MobileMe test accounts I used to have. Or, I might have used that gmail last month in a blocked attempt to create a test iCloud account while I was troubleshooting my keychains. So anyway, expect some bugginess with what emails you can use.

That sucks and it’s exactly what I’m afraid of. But it seems that now I can change my iCloud email to the same Gmail I use for the App Store? Is that correct?

Are there any downsides to using a Gmail email as my primary iCloud ID?

I just don’t understand how a company as technically savvy as Apple doesn't have a way to merge your emails or allow the change I’ve been hoping for.

Nothing you do to your second "iCloud" Apple ID will merge it with the first or give it access to the purchase history of the first.

There's nothing inherently wrong with carefully (backing up everything, bracing yourself for some problems with duplicates) migrating your "iCloud data" ("iCloud data" is not a thing; but meaning all the contacts, bookmarks, photos, etc that iCloud syncs) to a new iCloud account created with the first Apple ID (if one has not been created already; whether an Apple ID is already provisioned for iCloud can be safely tested by trying to add the Apple ID as an iCloud account in syspref > Internet Accounts), and then relegating the second Apple ID to email only. However, these days, creating new iCloud accounts (or provisioning iCloud on existing Apple IDs) requires phone number verification, so it can be difficult to double up even if you have a Mac or iOS device that would otherwise be eligible to create one.

Last edited:

egrimo

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2020
Istanbul
Well, I tried this with my 6 emails but every time when I put the code, it says "this email is already used" which is not the case.

Reactions: aroom

Flying Grayson

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2020
This is great news and long overdue.
Can I ask, and apologies if this has already come up, but can I change my Googlemail AppleID to my iCloud email address? I’ve had an iTunes account that long predates iCloud and I hate having to sign in to both AppleID and iCloud as separate accounts!

Reactions: JRoDDz

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I've been using non-iCloud address as my Apple ID for as long as I can remember. It was a gmail address way way back, and then at one point I switched it to my 3rd party domain name address.

Its set up quite nicely and have been happy. But I've had aliases on my account/Apple ID (one @me.com and another @iCloud.com). They really serve no function (I guess email service from Apple/iCloud, but I've never used it).

Any idea if its possible to delete these email aliases?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I've been using non-iCloud address as my Apple ID for as long as I can remember. It was a gmail address way way back, and then at one point I switched it to my 3rd party domain name address.

Its set up quite nicely and have been happy. But I've had aliases on my account/Apple ID (one @me.com and another @iCloud.com). They really serve no function (I guess email service from Apple/iCloud, but I've never used it).

Any idea if its possible to delete these email aliases?

brianmowrey

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2020
This is great news and long overdue.
Can I ask, and apologies if this has already come up, but can I change my Googlemail AppleID to my iCloud email address? I’ve had an iTunes account that long predates iCloud and I hate having to sign in to both AppleID and iCloud as separate accounts!
That’s half the replies. The answer is no. Cannot merge accounts and nothing you ever do to your second "iCloud" Apple ID will merge it with the first or give it access to the purchase history of the first.

Last edited:

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Thanks for this PSA. I found it helpful, as this is something I've wanted to be able to do for a while.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
This. Especially for those of us who started using the iTunes Store back in the olden days when you just had a username and not an email. I know it probably has something to do with DRM and such, but still.
I was told by an Apple genius that Apple was working on the ability to merge an iTunes ID created with one email address with an iCloud ID created as an @me.com or @icloud.com. Before knowing any better, I’d made a few purchases from the Apple store/iTunes with both accounts. Now it’s an endless source of frustration when managing a given mobile device and accessing/updating apps at times.

I was told this around 2007. Guess they‘re still working on it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.